Blue Skies jay Jones...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blue Skies jay Jones...

Just saw this on Facebook about Jay, one of the key racers and nicest people in IF 1:

July 4th 2016, the world lost an amazing soul. Jay was doing what he loved most, flying. No details have been released at this time. I will update as we learn more. Please send thoughts and prayers to his family during this most difficult time. Jays amazing dedication to his kids, family, and his F1 family will always be remembered. Please take some time to share your personal Jay "Jaybird " BOOOOOM! Jones stories. We all have them. Heaven just got a little more exciting I'm sure

Re: Blue Skies jay Jones...

I'm really sorry to hear this -- Jay was one of the nicest people in the Sport. He loved Racing, and did an amazing job over the years bringing a near stock basic Cassutt into the Gold class. This is a huge loss for IF1 and to Air Racing.

Neal

Comment

Originally posted by wingman View Post
      I'm really sorry to hear this -- Jay was one of the nicest people in the Sport. He loved Racing, and did an amazing job over the years bringing a near stock basic Cassutt into the Gold class. This is a huge loss for IF1 and to Air Racing.

Neal
      This is very sad news and big loss for his family, many friends and IF1. Blue skies, Jay.

I had read that he was working on a pusher design IF1, but don't think it was flying yet. No real info on the local news sites.

Comment

Jay on the course in 2012. This man loved Air Racing...
        Attached Files

Comment

My introduction to Jay was Reno 2014 when he completely stopped what he was doing to talk with me about his trailer. Then, this year at PRS, he went into great details about his trailer (and how the blizzard crushed it!) and how I could modify mine to accommodate our Pitts for trailering to Reno. Such a nice guy.

Sam Swift
          Biplane Race #3

Comment

Originally posted by FlyKidChris View Post
            This is very sad news and big loss for his family, many friends and IF1. Blue skies, Jay.

I had read that he was working on a pusher design IF1, but don't think it was flying yet. No real info on the local news sites.
            He was in his Seawind.

Comment

Very great loss, indeed! CAVU forever Jay!
              Wayne Sagar
              "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by Race5 View Post
                He was in his Seawind.
                I know nothing, but there is this on the preliminary NTSB reports.. I don't see one for a Seawind.

Registration unknown, type is Cassutt Special.
                Unleashed Air Racing

Comment

Revised to say it was the Seawind:

Comment

Local news has said he maydayed an engine problem and seems to have put the plane down in a limited area to prevent injury to houses in the area.

FAA website updated aircraft data to include the Seawind's N number yesterday.

Comment

From Jay's daughter, Allison:

"Dear Friends, inlou of flowers the family of Jay Jones has put together a fundraiser to help cover cost of the services in Texas and Colorado and to help Jay's QuadnickeL Airracer fly in Reno. Jay had modified his airracer so the Justin Meaders could fly with hand controls and intended for Justin to fly the plane while Jay was in Rio for the Paralympics supporting Allison, his daughter. The family wishes for the flight to go on and that Justin race for Jay as planned.
                      Please help us support the Jones family and QuadnickeL race crew.
                      Blue Skies 45"

Comment

I've known Jay for years, great guy, condolences to all involved. He lived near me in Breckenridge, CO years back, and moved to the Buena Vista area a few years ago.

The Sea Wind was built by Earl Bovee in Leadville around 10 years ago. I don't know if Jay just purchased it, it's still registered to Bovee.
                        RIP Jay
                        Ron

Comment

Working...
                        X