Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: PRS 2016 Photos

Originally posted by badman View Post
    I think Blue Thunder (I) ran the same prop/spinner too? Maybe the first one was just called Thunder Mustang. I can't seem to find any photos of it racing without the 3-blade prop.
    The original "Blue Thunder" ran the three blade as well. I seem to remember it having the four blade the first year out, but I may be mistaken.

Comment

This Blue Thunder prop question is kinda taking this OT - I'd like to see more photos from PRS! Did Czech Mate really show up?

But, since no one is posting new photos...as I looked at more Blue Thunder photos it looks like they may have run 2 different 3-bladers? On the Thunder Mustang (Blue Thunder I) they had the Hartzell with rounded tips. Now, on Blue 2 they have the Hartzell with square tips. Maybe they just trimmed the rounded tip prop down or its a different 3-blader now?

Comment

Originally posted by badman View Post
        This Blue Thunder prop question is kinda taking this OT - I'd like to see more photos from PRS! Did Czech Mate really show up?

But, since no one is posting new photos...as I looked at more Blue Thunder photos it looks like they may have run 2 different 3-bladers? On the Thunder Mustang (Blue Thunder I) they had the Hartzell with rounded tips. Now, on Blue 2 they have the Hartzell with square tips. Maybe they just trimmed the rounded tip prop down or its a different 3-blader now?
        Czech Mate did not show up, but the new pilot did. Smoot told us Czech will be ready to go for Sept.

Comment

Also, Mike Brown was not at PRS so he will not be racing this year.

Comment

Originally posted by Race5 View Post
            Also, Mike Brown was not at PRS so he will not be racing this year.
            I didn't think he had to come this year since he went through it last year. He should just have to do the late run of flight testing before race week and he'll be good, right?

Comment

I think I have this right and sorry to drift OT.

In 2001, Blue Thunder I flew briefly with a four-blade prop. One gear leg did not come down, and that was the end of that prop. The three-blade with rounded tips was installed and run for the rest of Blue Thunder I's existence. Blue Thunder II's preferred prop is the one with square tips, but BT2 has flown with the rounded tip prop (although I recall it having thinner tips that the BT1 three-bladder).

To the best of my knowledge, all other piston-powered Thunder Mustangs have flown with a four-blade prop. But, there have been at least four different four-blade props. A composite four-blade is the most common, and there is also a metal four-blade that has the same or very similar profile. There was a special curved tip prop that was on Rapid Travel (subsequently destroyed) and a square-tipped climb prop; I think both of those props were one-offs.
              Bill Pearce

Old Machine Press
              Blue Thunder Air Racing (in memoriam)

Comment

Bill..

I'm disappointed! You're forgetting about THIS "Blue" Thunder w/three blade!

- Joseph

Comment

Yup, I thought about Estrada's TM with three-blades and turbine power, but I did not think about it at Reno 2000. I can barely even remember Reno 2000 or Estrada's TM. Good call Joseph!
                  Bill Pearce

Old Machine Press
                  Blue Thunder Air Racing (in memoriam)

Comment

More from 2001 , no racing of course.

Comment

Here's the one-off prop, designed for the Time to Climb..

Prototype TM

Comment

Originally posted by Desertdawg View Post
                        Wednesday 6/15

Some shots from today, as Boomtown stated Voodoo was in a hanger.

Lingerie??
                        remember the Oogahonk!

old school enthusiast of Civiltary Warbirds and Air Racers

Comment

Originally posted by Lon Moer View Post
                          Lingerie??
                          Their trophies. The boys worked hard for those.

Comment

Thanks to all of you for the prop info.

Kevin

Comment

Did "Voodoo" ever fly during PRS? Is "Stevo" going back to fly "Strega"? Lots of unanswered questions about the "Unlimited" group.
                              Lockheed Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Lockheed Bob View Post
                                Did "Voodoo" ever fly during PRS? Is "Stevo" going back to fly "Strega"? Lots of unanswered questions about the "Unlimited" group.
                                I can only answer one of your questions.........YES, Voodoo did fly during PRS. Made a few laps around the course.

Comment

Working...
                                X