Need Expert Advise on 500mm Lense Set-up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Need Expert Advise on 500mm Lense Set-up

I just sent Adorama an email about the issue. The filters are made by "Pro Optic". My guess is that they are cheap chinese made things that have little quality control. They sure feel cheap as compared to my Heliopan, Hoya, B+W, or Tiffen filters for my other lenses.

Speaking of filters, since 95mm screw on ones cost a small fortune, what are your thoughts on using a drop in type? (Assuming I can find a holder for one that is big enough.) I'd have to imagine the drop in types aren't great for sports photography, but I've never used one.

Will

Comment

Once again I have no idea. I've never used any of the drop-in systems, but I would not be surprised if they just would not come in a size that would work for something almost 4 inches across. Another potential issue is that in the old days, at least, I think these systems used plastic filters. Seem to me that this would potentially introduce a scratches issue in field work. I had not realised that the filter size of that lens is so big! No wonder getting filters as part of the kit was so attractive.

I very seldom use light modifying filters, except very occasionally a polarizer. I usually have a clear glass B + W on each lens, and even that comes off in good conditions for critical work. Back in my black and white days I used colored filters (yellow orange and red etc.) a lot to modify tonal balance. For color slides I used (but disliked) split neutral density filters for some of my landscape and nature work. With digital I find I can do pretty much all of what I need to do in Photoshop. My feeling (and that's all it is) is that any more glass in front of the lens cuts image quality. I'm also always carrying around too much stuff already, and a bunch of filters is just going to make things worse.

Good luck figuring it all out, Will.

Neal

Comment

I spent some more time with the lens this evening shooting hummingbirds. The sharpness of the lens is mind blowing. All of these were shot at 500mm, about 8pm at either ISO 320 or 640. All were hand held as well.

This one is full sized (cropped)

There is so much to like about this lens. The color, contrast, sharpness, minimal noise, bokeh, its all good. Nikon was smart selling this lens at $1400, I'd be they could have sold it for twice that and still had a great selling lens. Its easy to shoot (although I think the best technique is to support the end of the lens like a rifle, but rather than squeezing the trigger, you press the shutter.) It tracks and locks pretty well at reasonably low light. I really can't wait to shoot it at Laguna Seca tomorrow and Sunday. Next week I'll try and setup a couple comparisons between the 70-300VR and the 200-500 VR, same subject, same distance, same light ect at 200 and 300mm for both lenses.

Will

Comment

I'd be interested in this lens at 300mm vs the 70-300 at 300mm. The 70-300 is rather weak at 300mm (though much better at 250mm).

Why don't you join Nikonians and post some of your Laguna Seca stuff in the motorsports forum there. I'd really like to see them. I really love vintage car racing -- especially 1950s and 1960s Ferraris, and Ford GT-40s and Le Mans racers and such. Keep me in mind in Monterey -- I'd like to see some stuff.

I've driven Laguna Seca. It is a really wonderful track, or at least it was before they revised it back in the 1990s. The Corkscrew is something else at 80 mph! It was always a great track for photography too.

$1400 is an astonishing price for this lens. I don't know what Nikon was thinking. 200-400 F4 is worth $4000 and 80-400mm worth $2500 how can this lens be $1400??

You're pretty steady. Hand holding a 750mm equivalent is difficult. I cannot do it consistently -- my excuse is that I'm getting old. Actually some would say I am old...

Neal

Comment

Back to the lens, this is amazing, quality, price.. wow! I am still paying off my 200-400 SIX GRAND credit card purchase from several years ago... Wonder how much it's worth today with something like this coming out that is, clearly producing superior images at that price point!
            Wayne Sagar
            "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by wingman View Post
              I'd be interested in this lens at 300mm vs the 70-300 at 300mm. The 70-300 is rather weak at 300mm (though much better at 250mm).

Why don't you join Nikonians and post some of your Laguna Seca stuff in the motorsports forum there. I'd really like to see them. I really love vintage car racing -- especially 1950s and 1960s Ferraris, and Ford GT-40s and Le Mans racers and such. Keep me in mind in Monterey -- I'd like to see some stuff.

I've driven Laguna Seca. It is a really wonderful track, or at least it was before they revised it back in the 1990s. The Corkscrew is something else at 80 mph! It was always a great track for photography too.

$1400 is an astonishing price for this lens. I don't know what Nikon was thinking. 200-400 F4 is worth $4000 and 80-400mm worth $2500 how can this lens be $1400??

You're pretty steady. Hand holding a 750mm equivalent is difficult. I cannot do it consistently -- my excuse is that I'm getting old. Actually some would say I am old...

Neal
              Neal,
              Yes the 70-300 is rather soft at 300mm, which is what I wanted to illustrate. I've been having to use the 70-300 for the past 5 years and its just been frustrating having to shoot at 300mm knowing the lens is less than fantastic at that length.

I've not only driven Laguna seca, but raced it in my '69 Datsun 2000. The Corkscrew is awesome, turn 6 is the one that scares me. Here is some in car footage of the race. I was following my friend in his '67 Datsun 2000. I ended up beating him with my street driven car (that I drove 150 miles down and the same distance home after the race) After that he went out and spent $20K on a hotter engine so it wouldn't happen again. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASpZtYiPr5Q
              Here is my Monterey album from last year, only made it for part of the day on Sunday. (all shot with the 70-300 lens) https://www.flickr.com/photos/473099...57658527386841 here is 2014. https://www.flickr.com/photos/473099...57647399855995
              The featured maker for this year is BMW, and it looks like they brought ALL the Art Cars. I'm really looking forward to seeing the E30 M3s race. I've never seen one in race trim in person.

Wayne, I'll post some of my stuff here, I check the page at least once a day. I always enjoy seeing the photography on this site. I'm happy to share my work where it will be appreciated.

On that note, I need to get off the computer and out the door.

Will

Comment

Thanks for that video, Will. That brought back some memories, especially of that oak tree at the bottom of the corkscrew! Great pass on your friend. I hated to see you pass that 2002, though. I had several of those over the years, and really loved them.

They really changed that part of the track after the Corkscrew -- I really liked that part, as I was running a car with not a lot of top end power that was much better in the twisties.

Neal

Comment

Well, I got some use out of the lens this weekend. I shot well over 1000 pics, mostly with the big lens. So far, looking through my pics I shot a lot of good shots, and a lot of not so good ones. I think the not so good shots are more due to user error than the lens. Its a big lens to be panning with, and as such, things get in the way (like the tops of 5 foot tall fences) I also found myself panning too fast for the subject being shot, and being too close for the subject to fully fit in the frame. I did have some overexposure issues as well. Still, the detail and clarity that this lens can produce is very impressive.

This shot when viewed full size, you can clearly read "BMW M Performance Parts" across the dash on the passenger side of the car. Shot at 200mm, 1/200, F/9 ISO 100

I can't quite read the stickers on the windscreen, but I can guess what they are.

200mm, F/13, 1/125, ISO 100

Same settings as above.

I was playing around with the focus settings on the camera going from single point (What I normally use) to trying to use the auto or 3D settings and letting the camera figure it out. I'm finding that most of the pics where I let the camera try to figure it out are a bit on the soft side, the single point and hold the spot in the pan seems to work better. It is a little like shooting birds with a rifle with a very long barrel and iron sights. You need a decent amount of room to move, and it will require a little strength. After shooting all day Sunday, I was tired, but my arms weren't dead. I think a batter grip would also be beneficial just for more area to hold on the back of the camera.

I'm going to shoot an autocross this weekend and see how things go. I think my shots from late in the afternoon on Sunday were better than those earlier in the weekend. The lens does require a little practice and patience to really get used to.

Will

Comment

Looking good, Will. Ferraris and BMWs and a fancy new lens -- can't go wrong.

I think a grip would be a great help in managing that lens. Unfortunately Nikon really overcharges on the grip -- a significant profit segment for them. Like all corporations, skimp on pricing the product and then gouge on the accessories.

Thanks for posting these...

Neal

Comment

Nice shots Will,

I am really sold on this lense, great value for the price. There have been some nice shots posted recently by you and Conner with this lense. And since I'm not using it every day to make a living, it will work just fine for my needs..

I already planned on getting a D500 body for this lense and carry my D7000 w/18-200mm for close-up/garage/pit shots.

So now once you spend time at the air races you should have a good idea about the size and all. Your still young, but we'll see how you hold up :-)

Post some more once you get through 1000 pics.

Last edited by Desertdawg; 08-23-2016, 01:37 PM.

Comment

I just got the email saying my request for media credentials have been approved. Looks like I'll be shooting a monumental amount of pics in 2 weeks. I'm also thinking a 200-500 might be a bit excessive for shooting from the pylons. Still, my 70-300 will be nice and sharp at 200mm or less. Its going to be a good weekend.

I'd love any feedback on shooting from the pylons from those people who have done it before.

Will

Comment

Originally posted by RAD2LTR View Post
                          I just got the email saying my request for media credentials have been approved. Looks like I'll be shooting a monumental amount of pics in 2 weeks. I'm also thinking a 200-500 might be a bit excessive for shooting from the pylons. Still, my 70-300 will be nice and sharp at 200mm or less. Its going to be a good weekend.

I'd love any feedback on shooting from the pylons from those people who have done it before.

Will
                          I too just received my "APPROVED" email! 200-500 actually, IMHO, will be perfect for the pylons! I've shot my 200-400 out there for years, you're somewhat limited by the 200 end to get group shots as they get close to the pylons but... I will try to post some of my 200-400 stuff later... now, I just gotta figure out where in heck I'm going to stay!
                          Wayne Sagar
                          "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Will,

Congrats on the RARA media pass.

But where are the rest of your best Laguna Seca pics????

You said you took 1000s?

Comment

I wanna see them too, Will!

Neal

Comment

Congratulations on the Press Pass Will! You'll have a great time -- my first time on the pylons was literally a life changing experience.

Your focal lengths will be just fine. My lens choices when I was doing my best work were 300mm prime with DX, and 420mm prime and 510mm prime with the bigger sensor. The only thing you might miss out on might be the full frame shot of the pylon with an airplane -- and I always found that to be too iffy and too consuming of precious pylon time to bother with. I wanted to shoot airplanes, and not pylons.

This shot was at 510mm with a full frame D3, and is cropped quite a bit.

Neal
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X