An oldie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An oldie

OK -- this shot is probably from before some of you race fans were born. An imperfect scan, but still interesting to look at. Notice the condition of the ramp, the fact that there is no National Guard facility out there, and the new housing developments just starting out there in the distance. Notice also the relaxed atmosphere and lack of security, crowd lines etc. It was a different time. Stead was just a crumbling ex Air Force Base with not a new building or hangar in sight, and the Races were just a struggling rather casual event.

Different times, and I was just a beginner at all this...

Neal
    Attached Files

Re: An oldie

What year was the Guard facility put in?

Comment

I had Hinton sign a copy of this one a few years ago and he held it up against the background and said "my god there was nothing there back then!"
      Now it's so built up it's scary.
      Attached Files
      Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
      airplanenutleo@gmail.com
      thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

They had good sponsors back then also, now so many are leaving Reno. Did NBC do Reno justice I do not know, they showed it one time full of commercials and no reruns, even Red Bull and Airplane Repo get reruns.

Comment

I'm guessing a sponsorship cost a LOT less back then, even in adjusted dollars, than it would now.
          Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
          airplanenutleo@gmail.com
          thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Originally posted by wingman View Post
            OK -- this shot is probably from before some of you race fans were born. An imperfect scan, but still interesting to look at. Notice the condition of the ramp, the fact that there is no National Guard facility out there, and the new housing developments just starting out there in the distance. Notice also the relaxed atmosphere and lack of security, crowd lines etc. It was a different time. Stead was just a crumbling ex Air Force Base with not a new building or hangar in sight, and the Races were just a struggling rather casual event.

Different times, and I was just a beginner at all this...

Neal
            Leeward Mustang before the "Cloud Dancer" movie.
            remember the Oogahonk!

old school enthusiast of Civiltary Warbirds and Air Racers

Comment

That is a definte yes but take the four big ones out and we have a hopped up unlimited stock class but also giving credit to the other competeing class's. Unlimited has gotton to the point of going so fast that the $$$ can not support the reward. Will I miss the 4,000 HP Merlins OH Yes

Comment

Who's Bearcat is that? I don't recognize the paint scheme.

Comment

I did not date the photo. Anybody want to guess the year (I think Big Jim will be able to)? That will help you to identify the Bearcat. It raced for several years in that paint, and was eventually sold and raced again by the new owner.

Here's a somewhat unsharp and unsatisfying shot of the Bearcat in a different year that at least shows the paint scheme:

Last edited by wingman; 06-05-2016, 05:52 PM.

Comment

I did not date the photo. Anybody want to guess the year (I think Big Jim will be able to)? That will help you to identify the Bearcat. It raced for several years in that paint, and was eventually sold and raced again by the new owner.

Here's a somewhat unsharp and unsatisfying shot of the Bearcat in a different year that at least shows the paint scheme:

That one's dated.
                    So I'm going with "race #8/Precious Bear".
                    remember the Oogahonk!

old school enthusiast of Civiltary Warbirds and Air Racers

Comment

Yep -- that's the only Bearcat I've ever seen in quite that paint job. I always kind of liked it.

Comment

Originally posted by supercub View Post
                        Who's Bearcat is that? I don't recognize the paint scheme.
                        Whittington brothers, as I recall. It's been a long time, though.

Comment

Originally posted by fastpace View Post
                          They had good sponsors back then also, now so many are leaving Reno. Did NBC do Reno justice I do not know, they showed it one time full of commercials and no reruns, even Red Bull and Airplane Repo get reruns.
                          Do you know the reason WHY they had the Michelob Light sponsorship? It was a good sponsor, but it was that plane with that company for a reason.

Comment

The ramp photo is 1977. The first year that the Whittington's brought the Bearcat. It is the former Tom's Cat, Tonopah Queen, Miss Priss, Sweet Pea....and currently Wampus Cat at the Historic Flight Foundation with John Sessions.

Don raced both it and Precious Metal in '77. Bill didn't race that year, and next year was his unfortunate introduction to Reno in the H-Mustang.

Comment

You mean like the photos most of us take, most of the time...
                              No pixels were harmed, honest.

http://www.ignomini.com
                              http://www.pbase.com/ignomini

Comment

Working...
                              X