Sani Hut

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Sani Hut

Allisons and Merlins, in different versions. I don't think anybody has mentioned this, but there are two flying F-82s under construction. Both will be beauties.

Comment

^^^ That is fantastic. I've never seen one fly. I only ever saw the one that was at Harrahs Automobile Museum back around 77-79ish. I've brought it up before but I don't think it was ever figured out which one it was. I think the discussion ended with it was just being stored there. It was outside but definitely on display.
      You'll get your chance, smart guy!

Comment

Originally posted by wingman View Post
        Allisons and Merlins, in different versions. I don't think anybody has mentioned this, but there are two flying F-82s under construction. Both will be beauties.

I know of one in Georgia the Riley P82. Where's the other one located?
        Last edited by supercub; 06-08-2016, 09:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by supercub View Post
          I know of one in Georgia the Riley P82. Where's the other one located?
          In Minnesota, Pat Harker is the restorer/owner. He also owns Ridge Runner III and if I'm not mistaken its at the same airport where Sawbones is based.

Comment

Originally posted by marada mx3 View Post
            Didn't it get repainted and put on display at the NMUSAF? I remember the "fuss" about who "owned" the plane. There is a thread about it somewhere. It left Midland not long after I finally got to see it.
            I can verify that the ex-CAF P-82 was on display at the Air Force Museum in May of 2014. At that time it looked pretty much the same as when it was tied down at San Diego - Gillespie Field for several years during the dispute with the CAF, complete with dirt, grime, etc. I was back at the museum this past Memorial Day, it didn't appear that anything had been done other than some cleaning and paint touch-up. It is still all black with no markings.

Comment

Originally posted by Fence Sence View Post
              ^^^ That is fantastic. I've never seen one fly. I only ever saw the one that was at Harrahs Automobile Museum back around 77-79ish. I've brought it up before but I don't think it was ever figured out which one it was. I think the discussion ended with it was just being stored there. It was outside but definitely on display.
              Why don't I remember a P-82 at Harrah's??
              I remember the P-38, the P-40, a Chipmonk and the Ford Tri-motor, but no Twin Mustang.
              remember the Oogahonk!

old school enthusiast of Civiltary Warbirds and Air Racers

Comment

Originally posted by Lon Moer View Post
                Why don't I remember a P-82 at Harrah's??
                I remember the P-38, the P-40, a Chipmonk and the Ford Tri-motor, but no Twin Mustang.
                I was there in the late 70's I don't remember the P-82 either. I do remember the Tri Motor. They flew it to Merced one year for the West Coast Flyin, there were 2 Ford Trimotors and a Bushmaster there that year. Three tri-motors, was pretty cool.

Comment

This is the ex-CAF F-82 in March of 2015

F-82B Twin Mustang by Connor Madison, on Flickr

F-82B profile by Connor Madison, on Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by CJAM427 View Post
                    This is the ex-CAF F-82 in March of 2015

F-82B Twin Mustang by Connor Madison, on Flickr

F-82B profile by Connor Madison, on Flickr
                    So it has had a paint job since Midland! At CAF HQ, the wings, most of the noses, and the horizontal were not black. Much shinier now.

Comment

I think I've heard the Air Force has two P-82's, if this is true, where's the other one located?

Comment

I think I've heard the Air Force has two P-82's, if this is true, where's the other one located?
                        Sitting outside on the parade grounds at Lackland AFB last time I saw it.

Comment

There are actually TWO F-82's at the Air Force Museum. Both of them are B-models, if I'm not mistaken. The ex-CAF model is there painted black in the night fighter scheme, but they also have Betty Jo which made a Hawaii to New York record flight. It's natural metal.

There is still an F-82E sitting outside at Lackland AFB on the parade grounds.

Comment

The ex-CAF night fighter F-82 is in the Second hangar in the Korean War gallery. Its painted in the markings of an F-82G even though its a B.

Betty Jo is in the next hangar over in the cold war gallery. As per the NMUSAF website, it's been at the museum since 1957. Most notable is the world record it holds for the longest non-stop flight by a prop-drive fighter at 5,051 miles (Hawaii to New York).

I took these on the same visit as the ones above.

B-36 & F-82 by Connor Madison, on Flickr

F-82 "Betty Jo" by Connor Madison, on Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by CJAM427 View Post
                              The ex-CAF night fighter F-82 is in the Second hangar in the Korean War gallery. Its painted in the markings of an F-82G even though its a B.

Betty Jo is in the next hangar over in the cold war gallery. As per the NMUSAF website, it's been at the museum since 1957. Most notable is the world record it holds for the longest non-stop flight by a prop-drive fighter at 5,051 miles (Hawaii to New York).

I took these on the same visit as the ones above.

B-36 & F-82 by Connor Madison, on Flickr

F-82 "Betty Jo" by Connor Madison, on Flickr
                              Betty Jo used to be in the spot that the ex-CAF bird is in. Weren't both -82s in the Korean/Vietnam hangar together at one time?

Comment

I just looked at Lackland AFB on Google Earth, WOW, they have some very kewl airplanes around that base, especially around the parade grounds. B-29, P-38, P-47, B-24. B-17 just to name a few.

Comment

Working...
                                X