Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Super Corsair

Originally posted by wingman View Post
    Before you get too excited about the idea, it's worth noting that that kind of sh*t (along with a lot of firearms) is why I have eternal Tinnitis. My ears ring a bit all the time...

Neal
    Duly noted. I'm no stranger to ear pain due to working near or on loud race engines; I'm lucky I don't have Tinnitus (owner/driver kept earplugs in supply and insisted on his crew using them).

But your photo has that visceral appeal!

Comment

Originally posted by supercub View Post
      Did the Super Corsair have the potential of being a 500mph plus airplane on the course...........or perhaps going after the 3km speed record held by the Bear?
      others with more aerodynamic smarts than me will chime in but I say no, not with the airfoil on that wing.

b
      bob burns
      ex tow-3, now race 66 crew
      "dont mess with texas"

Comment

How about a boil off system? That would have been one refinement. Did Goodyear ever test a "thinner" wing for the F2G? I thought I saw a photo of a new airfoil on a 2800 powered test aircraft.
        Last edited by Reever; 06-07-2016, 12:31 PM.

Comment

By the time you fixed the wing and refined the fuse and systems you would be out a ton of time and money. Cheaper and easier to just start with a faster airframe like a bearcat or a, wait, isn't that Rare Bear?...
          Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
          airplanenutleo@gmail.com
          thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Originally posted by Leo View Post
            By the time you fixed the wing and refined the fuse and systems you would be out a ton of time and money. Cheaper and easier to just start with a faster airframe like a bearcat or a, wait, isn't that Rare Bear?...
            Or with a better wing, Sea Fury.

Jarrod

Comment

Soooo, 232?

I loved the Super Corsair. I think, however, it had topped out it's performance, more or less. Kind of like Dread.
              airplanenutleo@gmail.com

Comment

I kind of think it would never go much faster than the year Steve won with it. I've always found it interesting that it never went that fast again, that I remember. Seems like it was seldom much over 430 mph or so, plus it seemed to be broken or at least having problems much of the time.

Neal

Comment

And the win in 85 (not taking ANYTHING away from Steve) was kind of an accident. He had a good, solid second going until Dread cut the last pylon so spectacularly.
                  airplanenutleo@gmail.com

Comment

But it's important to note that Steve went just as fast as Neil -- and his winning speed was spectacular for the time. Steve just did not have enough extra to pass. I think if the Super Corsair had had the pole, the situation would have been reversed.

Neal

Comment

Steve getting baptized in 1985...
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Leo View Post
                        The Cornell racer /Spirit of America was the ultimate combo, a thin laminar wing with a 3350 and boiloff. If that project is ever finished.................

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisMX105 View Post
                          The Cornell racer /Spirit of America was the ultimate combo, a thin laminar wing with a 3350 and boiloff. If that project is ever finished.................
                          If it doesn't have a slow nose case, will it even be worth running? In racing applications, the 3350 doesn't seem to be all that reliable (232 comes to mind here.) Yes, Rare Bear has had its years when the 3350 has been fine, and plenty of other years when its been less than fine.

The Cornell racer is a very cool idea, and i'd love to see it race, but I have to wonder about the engine choice.

Will

Comment

Most of the Bears issues have mainly been with intake/exhaust airflow and systems the last few years as I see it. Have they really blown one up since Buccarelli did back when Lyle still had it?
                            airplanenutleo@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisMX105 View Post
                              I'd go with Shockwave.

Jarrod

Comment

In the book, 4360 Pratt and Whitney's major miracle, Steve Hinton said that one year they ran it at 4150 hp in a heat race and averaged 447 mph. With a fast lap of 459 mph. that's not 500, but it's pretty damn fast. Said they ran 3800 hp for hours. In the race results section it lists a heat race 1a result of 1st at 445.072 mph in 88 with John Maloney up.

Comment

Working...
                                X