• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heat Race

Sometimes Heat Races can be fun...

Neal
    Attached Files

Re: Heat Race

It's sad to think that 4 of the people in that second photo are no longer with us. Aviation on the edge can be an unforgiving business...

Comment

Rick Brickert's routine in that T-33 was one of the most beautiful shows I have ever seen. Just his flying and some patriotic music.
      Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
      airplanenutleo@gmail.com
      thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

That second shot is brilliant. Love it. Sad to remember. But love the photo none the less.

Comment

Originally posted by wingman View Post
          It's sad to think that 4 of the people in that second photo are no longer with us. Aviation on the edge can be an unforgiving business...
          Howard Pardue, Rick Brickert? and who are the other two?
          Random Air Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Samuel View Post
            Howard Pardue, Rick Brickert? and who are the other two?
            Rick Brickert is in the Red Knight -- killed in the Pond Racer, Reno 1993
            Bill Speer is in Deja Vu -- killed at Reno 1994
            Robert Converse is in Huntress III -- Passed away in 2013
            Howard Pardue in Kimberly Brooke -- killed at Breckenridge in 2012

Steve Hinton in the other Mustang (now Wee Willy II....at the time it was unnamed).

Comment

Was it Steve? I thought it would be Kevin Eldridge at that point (the 1992 Denver Race). I'll have to look that up.

I kind of thought Steve's last race was John Paul's P-40 about 1990. I guess I have to look that up too.

Neal

Comment

Originally posted by wingman View Post
                Was it Steve? I thought it would be Kevin Eldridge at that point (the 1992 Denver Race). I'll have to look that up.

I kind of thought Steve's last race was John Paul's P-40 about 1990. I guess I have to look that up too.

Neal
                I think you're right. Steve's accident in the Miles & Atwood replica during the filming of "The Rocketeer" was in 1990. Perhaps he ran Spud Lag at Denver that summer?

Comment

It turns out that it was Steve Hinton in the airplane for that Heat Race (and he won). Eldridge flew it on Sunday. Steve also qualified it, and shared pace plane duties that weekend with Rick.

Neal

Comment

Working...
                  X