Wingman Quiz 5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wingman Quiz 5

This is another mystery photo for me. Oh, I know the year and the race day and all, but what I cannot figure out is where I took this photograph from. The background mountains don't look right for the various Pylon 2s I remember, but that seems most likely. I also shot a lot back during this time from the old Pylon 1, at the intersection of the active runways but the shot definitely does not look right for that location, so where was I?? I think it's almost certainly the start of the race, which would make it Pylon 2 for this going straight away shot, but it just doesn't look right...

Kinda scary that this was well over a third of a Century ago. I think I'm getting old.

So tell us the year, the race and the players. It should actually be fairly easy to narrow down by process of elimination. Who won on this dramatic day of three alpha racers hammering onto the course at warp speed (for the times, at least)?

Neal

Re: Wingman Quiz 5

Originally posted by wingman View Post
    This is another mystery photo for me. Oh, I know the year and the race day and all, but what I cannot figure out is where I took this photograph from. The background mountains don't look right for the various Pylon 2s I remember, but that seems most likely. I also shot a lot back during this time from the old Pylon 1, at the intersection of the active runways but the shot definitely does not look right for that location, so where was I?? I think it's almost certainly the start of the race, which would make it Pylon 2 for this going straight away shot, but it just doesn't look right...

Kinda scary that this was well over a third of a Century ago. I think I'm getting old.

So tell us the year, the race and the players. It should actually be fairly easy to narrow down by process of elimination. Who won on this dramatic day of three alpha racers hammering onto the course at warp speed (for the times, at least)?

Neal

From left to right Mac McLain in Jeanie, Steve Hinton snr in the Red Baron, and John Crocker in Sumthin' Else 1979 Reno Unlimited Gold final
    race fan, photographer with more cameras than a camera store

Comment

A very good attempt, Kiwi -- but there is a problem with your theory...

Comment

Originally posted by kiwiracefan View Post
        From left to right Mac McLain in Jeanie, Steve Hinton snr in the Red Baron, and John Crocker in Sumthin' Else 1979 Reno Unlimited Gold final
        It has to be Friday or Saturday's Gold heat race. Mac won the pole in Jeannie for Friday...which he won...so he had the pole for Saturday....which Crocker won....which gave him the pole for Sunday.

Comment

Bingo! It was Friday Heat 1A. Jeannie was a spectacular DNS on Sunday. As I remember management was not real happy with his runway approach after dropping out of the formation before the start. I thought it was pretty cool...

So any thoughts about where I was when I shot this? The old pylon 2 was quite a bit west of the current one. It had to be there, right?

Neal

Comment

Here's the start of the Silver Hear on Saturday. You can see how different the location of Pylon 2 was back then.

Hoover released the Racers lower and more level Than Steve does these days.

Love, Herlihy and Hamilton are sure locked in formation. These guys were really good at this...

Neal
            Attached Files

Comment

On the first photo -seeing 3 of the all-time best looking Mustangs in one frame is amazing!!!

Comment

I agree. We don't see photos like this very much.

Comment

Working...
                X