Wingman Quiz 3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Wingman Quiz 3

Awesome photos of the Spad and then to top it off, one of it next to Cottonmouth!!! Thank you for posting those!

Comment

Loving the photos! Keep them coming!

Comment

Well Leo, I think I had more fun missing it than you did...

And I'm glad you all are enjoying this. Since I'm scanning anyway, it's not much more trouble to post them. It's a chance for all of us to learn a bit more about the history of our sport.

Neal

Comment

I'm loving it!

And though you had much more fun, there was something special in those days about sitting out in the evening with some good scotch, a good cigar, watching whatever flew around, and trading stories with friends and neighbors.

My son misses that part so much (he was too young for the cigars and scotch) that although we live 5 minutes away he wants to haul the trailer out there just for the evenings...
          Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
          airplanenutleo@gmail.com
          thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Originally posted by wingman View Post
            Well then Kiwi, these are for you...

Awesome pics Wingman, i really like the top pic
            race fan, photographer with more cameras than a camera store

Comment

Originally posted by MustangFan View Post
              Neal,
              On the subject of bombers on the course, do you happen to have any shots of Fifi and Diamond Lil doing their demo run, I think it was in 1998? That was one of my early years at Reno, and I unfortunately didn't bring my camera that year...
              I was there for that bomber run. The pilot of FIFI told me a few years later that they really got their butts chewed over that. As Diamond 'Lil started gaining on them, he saw the throttles on FIFI inching forward past their "marked" maximums. The flight engineer was pushing them up and pointing at Diamond 'Lil yelling "no f'n way".

Comment

Did Skip Holm ever race a Skyraider?

Jarrod

Comment

Originally posted by Rarebearcat View Post
                  I was there for that bomber run. The pilot of FIFI told me a few years later that they really got their butts chewed over that. As Diamond 'Lil started gaining on them, he saw the throttles on FIFI inching forward past their "marked" maximums. The flight engineer was pushing them up and pointing at Diamond 'Lil yelling "no f'n way".
                  That was Saturday night, 1997. I have the whole thing on video as they were coming back from the fly-over of downtown Reno. Cool stuff. Very majestic to see the B-29 bending around the pylons.

Comment

Originally posted by jarrodeu View Post
                    Did Skip Holm ever race a Skyraider?

Jarrod
                    He never raced one. But maybe 2002-2003 timeframe (best guess) he did fly an A-1E Skyraider with blue tinted windows in RVAN markings at Reno on display. Did a photo flight with it. I recall him flying it into Reno early in the week.

Comment

Working...
                    X