A new Wingman Quiz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A new Wingman Quiz

I've been doing some scanning of old slides, so thought I'd throw this up for folks to play with. This one should be really easy. As usual Brad is excluded for now.

So name the year, the players, what race, what's unusual here, and why this is happening...

While we're at it, where do you think this photo was taken from?

Neal

Re: A new Wingman Quiz

I'll take stab but I've never gotten any wingman quiz right.

Is Dago (Skip) lapping Buick coming around 6? The photo looks like it was shot from somewhere between 4 and 3. Buzz Hill?
    Last edited by Fence Sence; 05-23-2016, 10:48 AM.
    You'll get your chance, smart guy!

Comment

Well, your record is complete so far. Nice try, though...

Location is close, however. This was shot from the old Pylon 4, which was well beyond the current one. The angle would have been similar to what has recently been called Buzz Hill.

I might be very wrong, but I doubt if Dago has ever lapped the Dread Sled.
      Last edited by wingman; 05-23-2016, 11:52 AM.

Comment

I just appreciate the history lesson. Thank you for that.

I've spent time shooting photos at 4 so I'm familiar with the light and landscape. That's an older 6 as well (obviously) which puts them a bit further out from where my shots have planes. I guess I just guessed a bit before considering pylon location relative to the year. Clear as day now.

So, Dread passing Dago? Clearly an inside move but that has been allowed a few times in the past.
        You'll get your chance, smart guy!

Comment

1986?

Jarrod

Comment

Not even close, Jarrod -- Sorry...

Comment

just a guess, wasn't 1983 the year dago broke a spinner back plate while leading and neil took the checkered flag?
              bob burns
              ex tow-3, now race 66 crew
              "dont mess with texas"

Comment

Dago was clearly faster than #8 in the Frank Taylor years, even with the old style Nixon high rev engines. It was just more stressed and less lucky. This picture has little to do with those times, though.

I really thought this would be easy! This race was absolutely crucial in the Dago Red saga. The pilot said later that he was a lot less worried about losing the race than he was worried that the crew would slowly kill him after the race for letting Dreadnought make a clear pass...

The pilot and the crew chief are both friends of mine -- I feel honored to know them both.

Neal

Comment

Ok, I don't respond too often on here, but you said this one is easy, so I'll take my shot. I've seen a few of these races. I may be off too, but from the photo, it looks like this is where Dreadnought got around Dago heading to the backside of the course. Bruce Lockwood, flying Dago, had an issue with his canopy and Dreadnought got by as he slowed to fix the problem. And this photo was taken just after Dago flew through Dreadnought's prop wash, and he ended up high as he pulled the power back and recovered. I remember seeing the brief black puff of smoke from Dago as he pulled up. I think it was Dennis Sanders in Dreadnought. Bruce gathered it up and ended up getting around Dreadnought and winning the Unlimited Gold Final. So, if I got it right, great. If not, it was a great race and great memory for me. And I think that might have been 1998.

Robert

Comment

Well done, Robert -- totally correct on all points. I too remember that race as one of the great ones, especially as I was totally rooting for my friends to take the trophy. I was truly mystified to see this happening. I didn't hear the details til later.

Comment

Yes! Thanks for the photo. And it just goes to show, you can have an exciting race no matter who shows up on Sunday. For me, they are all exciting. This one was memorable as well.

Comment

It was a good Sunday for photography, too, with those nice clouds...

Comment

Neal never lets me play........

Comment

Brad -- you get what you deserve. Though actually, you do get to play when I put something up that is so truly obscure and unimportant that nobody else has any idea what I'm talking about.

Neal

Comment

Wow.. I fell asleep in front of the TV just now, woke up, stood up too fast and all I could see was flaming kelp.....

It was weird....

everything was dark, and cold.....

Wayne Sagar
                              "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Working...
                              X