Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frank Ronco

Dear all,

It is with great sorrow that I write to inform you that my father and former NAG President, Frank Ronco, has passed away. He went peacefully in his sleep, spending his last days surrounded by friends and family in the comfort of his own home. Even though he has left us, his indomitable positivity and love for life will always live on.

Some of you may have met my dad through the years of countless air shows, races, banquets (the list goes on), and probably met me as well since I was always stuck to his side. Air racing was a huge part of his life, one that he shared with so many people that I was surprised he could remember. When I would go to the races with him, or even to a smaller show like Salinas, he would inevitably spot someone he knew and be compelled to at least say hello to see how they were.

Earlier this year he made a comment in passing that stuck with me, and I believe it’s something that bears repeating: “If you’re not going to be positive, what’s the point of being.” He said this despite being in the hospital and having no reason at all to be in a good mood. But that’s the kind of person he was, the one who tried to lift others up even when he was knocked down.

For those of you whom he had the pleasure of knowing, thank you for being a part of his life. If you have any photos of my father that you can share, we would like to include them in a slideshow at his service. Please email them to me at gordonronco@gmail.com

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6012.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	730.5 KB
ID:	242031Click image for larger version

Name:	228213_10150173779368795_8155037_n.jpg
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	242032Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6259.JPG
Size:	142.5 KB
ID:	242033

Re: Frank Ronco

Condolence's to you and your family.

I originally met Frank back in the "Northwest Area Group" days of NAG, and for some years after that.
    We also coincidentally worked at the same Sears store in Cupertino for a couple years in the early '80s.
    remember the Oogahonk!

old school enthusiast of Civiltary Warbirds and Air Racers

Comment

Sad news. Condolences to your family and RIP Mr. Ronco.

Comment

Indeed, sad... Your father was a good man, he will be missed!

Blue Skies Frank!
        Wayne Sagar
        "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Gordon, your dad was a straight shooter. He was quiet, assured and almost always right about air racing. I believe we met at a NAG meeting in the later 70's. He was regular, dependable and not afraid of working and doing it right. He was not a great obnoxious personality but rather a quiet guy following his great interest in detail. He was a source of correct info without embarrassing the asking party. A humble dude who was always approachable and dependable. He was one of those rare guys who did not have an enemy to my knowledge. We ALL liked Frank. It may be corny but the world is a lesser place without him. So very sorry for your loss.

Ron Snow

Comment

Gordon and AAFO’rs

I first met your Dad Frank at our team’s very first Air Race in Mexicali Mexico, I think it was 1976. He was the very first person I met in Air Racing. I remember it like it was this morning. He walked up to me and was adorned in his jacket that had a huge number of patches, USARA, NAG, and countless more. He had his camera hanging over his shoulder.

He stuck out his hand introduced himself, with his patented smile. He said “Welcome, glad you are here, if there is anything I can do to help you, let me know”. He knew all about the plane we had, since he was no doubt at the only other race it was at, with its builder David Bice. He told us about the history, and what it had done. That race was somewhere around the Phoenix area, probably about 1973, 74.

He then proceeded to take me, and our weary traveled crew around to every racer and crew at the event. He introduced us to each one. He knew all their names, and knew all of our team members names, after the first meeting, he had just met us. He in a very special way, told us to imitate two specific guys/teams there in Mexicali. They would both become our mentors. They were the “Old Tiger” Bob Downey, and John Paul Jones. Then as the days went on during the event, your Dad Frank, came by at least a couple of times a day to check up on us, he was the welcome committee of Air Racing to us.

Since he was at a pylon each day he would come in and tell me what I was doing going around the pylons. At that race our Team with the plane “Bilbo” came in last, but he really made us feel welcome, and is part of the reason we kept at it.

To me and our crew, of which Crew Chief Steve Hill was at that event, and has been with us since, met your Dad there. He was and still is our Face of Air Racing.

To us he was the definition of what the AIr Racing family, that has been so good to us, is. Blue skies Frank our friend, Air Racing will not be the same without your smiling face.
            Frank, if you are reading this, say hey to Bob, John Paul, Jimmy, Lee, and all the other Air Racers up there dusting the pylons in the sky. You are with some really GREAT pilots there. Be sure to give God everyone’s history.

God Bless you Gordon, the family, and all his friends in the family of AIr Racing. He is already missed.

Jon and all our team members

Comment

Thank you Jon for the great tribute to Frank Ronco. He will be missed for sure.
              Lockheed Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Lockheed Bob View Post
                Thank you Jon for the great tribute to Frank Ronco. He will be missed for sure.
                Indeed Jon, and I know Trish would have a hand in this post, love to both of you...
                Wayne Sagar
                "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Working...
                X