NAHI dropped from Reno 2016

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NAHI dropped from Reno 2016

Just read this on Facebook, link should work for everyone..

Log into Facebook to start sharing and connecting with your friends, family, and people you know.
    Reno from '99 to '22

Re: NAHI dropped from Reno 2016

Well nuts.......that certainly puts a bit of a damper on the ramp activities on the east end.

Also really cuts the photo ops down in the evenings early in the week as we won't have these guys arriving just after the field opens.

Comment

I'm pretty bummed as well. This was one of my favorite things to shoot Saturday evening. The planes were always cool and with no people walking through pics, along with a good sunset, some of the shots that could be had were pretty great. It was always exciting to see what would show up every year.

Will

Comment

This is a real bummer. One of my favorite parts of Reno. I wonder why they couldn't have just capped the entries and run it again this year. Also seems like there would be room to expand into the military display area since they are not bringing as much stuff nowadays.
        Random Air Blog

Comment

I was thinking the same thing. They could consolidate the military area some and expand the NAHI area. The NAHI seems to have been growing for the past few years and its been great to see. It seems like the people putting the NAHI display on is bummed out as well. From reading the FB post it sounds like they don't want to leave but are anyway.

I have to wonder if there is something else going on behind the scenes. The title sponsor calls it quits, then this? Two long time entities walking away from the races. Not a good sign.

Will

Comment

Going to a current Reno airshow/race is nothing like it used to be

Its like a skeleton in the desert now

When Art Scholl
            Leo Loudenslager
            Bob Hoover in the Aero Commander AND the Mustang
            Jimmy Franklin have all left us, or just dont fly anymore

It's just not the same magical thing

And when I last went
            Just so my boy could get an idea of what it was all about
            There were no bronze fighters racing

So few birds in the pits

And we saw several people literally YELLED and screamed at by staff just for taking pics near the cement blocks/hard line

It was just sad

And I'm sorry

But no current staff is gonna magically bring it back to the "way it used to be".

Sorry for the rant

But
            It's trickling away

And
            I know
            People will always say.....
            Hey dude
            Speak for yourself....

But
            At some point
            Someones gotta just say it

We all think it

And I want it to live on!
            Where else they gonna race?
            Last edited by De Camara; 04-12-2016, 10:13 PM.

Comment

I miss Art Scholl, Jimmy Franklin, Lefty and the rest also. I treasure my pics and videos of races past, and my memories.
              Back when I started going in 76 you could pretty much roam at will. There was, if you knew a few tricks and people, access to the course. The pits were packed, the racing great, the purses better. A Hamburger was a buck, as was a dog. A cup of coffee (or battery acid, never really decided) was $0.50. Season tickets were only around $40.
              Now you can't move without being busted. Coffee is now a latte for $6 and a burger is $8. The pits are no longer full, the cheap stands are smaller and the whole experience costs a pretty penny.
              That said, the races have had a lot of struggles the past few years. A recession, a few crashes, internal and external politics have all taken their toll. Insurance, lawsuits, apathy from the locals have affected the way they are held.
              But they have survived and I personally think 2015 was a better year than they have had for a long time. I believe 2016 will be better and so on.
              They have lost performers, sponsors and displays many times over the years I have been going. Each time whether it was a setback or a blessing, we kept going and supporting it and to me, with all the differences between now and back when, it is still RENO and I will continue to support whatever they do until I am no longer able.
              Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
              airplanenutleo@gmail.com
              thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

All I can say is NOTHING is the way it use to be. We have two choices, dwell in the past, or deal with the present. If we look close, there is a lot of hope for the future.

Comment

This is extremely disappointing. Based on the NAHI statement, they have ran out of footprint space on the Reno ramp and are in discussion for additional support.

Comments from Facebook by NAHI suggest other issues besides the reno ramp space explanation.

I suggest we all go to the NAHI facebook and comment on our disappointment. I am hoping NAHI and RARA can reach a compromise.

There is no reason to end a 17 year tradition.

Log into Facebook to start sharing and connecting with your friends, family, and people you know.

Comment

Walking over to the East early in the morning was a tradition for me, get there before the crowds for some nice photo ops. The planes on display were always amazing.

Hopefully things get worked out for 2017.

Not sure its all about the ramp space. The pit area now a days has a lot of empty space and to keep a event like this here you could move them to the west side of the reserve section and move the pit gate farther west.

If there a will there could be a way to keep NAHI here.

Maybe there is more to this story??

Comment

Originally posted by Reever View Post
                      All I can say is NOTHING is the way it use to be. We have two choices, dwell in the past, or deal with the present. If we look close, there is a lot of hope for the future.
                      I agree, I love the races

Brian

Comment

A true fan has only one choice!
                        Remember the past, and look forward to the future!

If it didn't change and evolve, the same ones complaining about the change would be $itching because it was always the same...
                        Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
                        airplanenutleo@gmail.com
                        thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

It was announced Sunday that the 2017 competition will be held during the California Capitol Airshow at Mather Field, Sacramento.

Comment

It sounds to me like the NAHI is gone for good. I guess I'll have to try and make it to the Cal Capital Airshow now.

Will

Comment

Originally posted by Merlin Mike View Post
                              It was announced Sunday that the 2017 competition will be held during the California Capitol Airshow at Mather Field, Sacramento.
                              Thats a major bummer. One of my favorite parts of Reno. At least its still on the West Coast!
                              Random Air Blog

Comment

Working...
                              X