Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: NBC Coverage

Originally posted by Fence Sence View Post
    As a first go, I thought it was alright. Not great, but not bad. At least there wasn't any FKS. Obviously, to us hardcore fans, there is WAY more to the races than could ever be stuffed into a 1hr broadcast and I'm sure we all have our ideas on what we would do with a 1hr broadcast. We ain't the ones putting broadcast boots on the ground though. The folks in those trenches have way more to deal with than we will probably ever know. The show wasn't put together to please us. It was put together to please the network and the sponsors. Make them happy and maybe, just maybe you'll get a chance to bring some segments you envisioned in the first place to the table. With word of a three pack for next year, it appears that might be a possibility. I'm hoping they will bring all the classes to the spotlight and maybe show a full gold race or two. I've got my fingers crossed but I'm not necessarily holding my breath. I know it's never going to be for me. If you think it's going to be for you, you're just setting yourself up for disappointment.

My only real criticism was the sound or lack thereof. I think they could have focused more attention to that. It truly is an important and incredible aspect of the Unlimiteds and it's something they should definitely exploit in future broadcasts.
    I wholeheartedly agree. This wasn't for us hardcore people, it was for people who have never gone, with the hope that it might perhaps bring new faces to the stands. Did it leave a lot to be desired? Absolutely, but as much as we complain about there not being enough racing, holy crap there is a lot of racing. Theoretically there could be 15 different races to cover (5 classes with 3 heats each). Sure we were a few races short of that this year but still, even a dozen classes to cover is nearly impossible to do in 1 hr. You certainly can't get anything meaningful out of trying to cover that many classes in such a short time span. Have any of you watched coverage of the Monterey Historic races? Again, a ton of classes, and very condensed coverage.

From a production standpoint, I'd bet Reno is a serious pain in the ass to cover. I'd also guess it was NBC's first time covering anything like Reno. Its not like NASCAR, Indy or even offshore boat racing. With more time allotted and some other small changes, it could be a very cool production.

Will

Comment

Well in the past we had "SkyFire" annual air race VHS tapes which was done with all classes plus the in-between acts plus pilot ,etc interviews. No commercials but that all went away with politics,cashflow and so on. At least this was a start. Nothing stays the same as we all know.
      Lockheed Bob

Comment

The Skyfire videos were awesome! I wish they would be re released on DVD.
        Will

Comment

I agree with Warbird Willie.The NBC coverage is lame. The sound track and narrative are both irritating as hell. Repeating the same pathetic commercial numerous times is ridiculous. I don't see any benefit to the races.

Comment

I thought it was well done and did a good job explaining what goes on to people who don't know. Sorry to burst everyone's bubble, but it's not for us but to bring in new fans.
            Jarrod

Comment

Have to agree with Jarrod. I read all the posts here, then watched last night. It was better than I expected. Yes, Steve S. needs a cork, and yes, I would have appreciated more Unlimited sounds. I also understand the complaints about coverage for Bip, F1, and T6, but with a one hour show to cover a week's worth of full days, one should expect the coverage as shown.

We should all also be saying thanks to Stihl for putting up sponsor money. Considering I've been approached over the years to fund TV productions, and the barest minimum anyone ever asks for sponsorship of an obscure half hour show is $15k, I'll bet it took at least $30-50k in sponsorship to get it on TV.

This show wasn't intended for us insiders. In all respects, it looked like an effort by a group of people who knew nothing about what they were covering, to produce an understandable hour long entertainment about air racing. On that basis, I think they did great.
              No pixels were harmed, honest.

http://www.ignomini.com
              http://www.pbase.com/ignomini

Comment

I knew going into it that it was not aimed at those of us that rivet count even high-quality films and documentary's.
                My wife has no real interest in Air Racing, just tolerates it as my son, his girlfriend and I are rabid about it.
                SHE enjoyed it so it met it's goal there.
                One thing she really liked was the callouts and leaders they used in the long shots, showing the relative positions of the racers a-la Nascar. After years of our home videos she said she could finally tell who was who...

I think the whole thing has great promise and look forward to more.
                Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
                airplanenutleo@gmail.com
                thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

I thought the show was well done and interesting enough to hold the casual NASCAR fan who is looking for a fix on a slack weekend and perhaps turn their interest enough to look deeper.

My only negative observation would be the overbearing repeated commercial breaks. They were enough to almost drive me away to watch later when I could FF through them. Those who produced the show would have benefited greatly, IMHO, if they would have spent a bit more on ads so there was some variety, or make them longer. There were snips of things in the ad, like the kayaking that, with a bit more time on screen might have captured the interest of the channel surfer to stick around and not wind up surfing away. The Reno Tahoe area is very a very special place, they might have missed some opportunity on both fronts.. Getting folks to Reno, and to Reno Air Races.

Very nice production, great camera work!
                  Wayne Sagar
                  "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by Warbird5 View Post
                    Evening,

I do not agree with most of the posts about the NBC coverage. It was poor, if not lame. It will probably not get any of the viewers to come and see the races first hand, and you have to see the races in person to get Reno.

There was no build up to the races, no crew stories, no crew shots of them working on the planes, no background on the pilots, owners, crews etc. Nothing of what has made the NCAR a event to attend in person.

For those of us fortunate to put eyeballs, blood sweet and tears into the NCAR I almost cried watching the pitiful NBC broadcast, which by the way was on a NBC channel that most of the country does not get, so you really see how the network feels about the NCAR.

On late Sunday afternoon at Reno it's all about the anticipation, the sound and the speed of the Unlimited Gold race. For those who have not been there, done that, there is no way to explain the sound of the Unlimited racers at full tilt coming out of the Valley of Speed and turning for the home pylon. John Altman's "Reno On Record" comes close, but you have to be there and hear the sound with your own ears to appreciate what the NCAR is.

The NBC coverage is a start I hope. I fear it is another one of many past programs that will not bring new fans, spectators or sponsors to the spot.

Me...Well I plan on being on the ramp at Reno this coming September as I have been every year except four now since 1980. I've been very fortunate to have been with some really class planes and people. I've made a lot of life long friends at Reno over the years and that is the greatest thing about Reno. The planes are fast and exciting, but it's the people behind them that are the real untold secret of the NCAR. Its the people. Especially the ones who are no longer among us.

Warbird Willie
                    I Agree Is Was PATHETIC A TOTAL Waste…

Comment

Originally posted by Remo View Post
                      I Agree Is Was PATHETIC A TOTAL Waste…
                      Aaack!

EVERY time a legitimate entity sticks their necks out, opens their pockets, rents the hardware and talented folks to man it, and gets something done..

Cheyhithotdoggiedaymnit... here ewe guys are ready to jump on and crucify the effort.

Dammy, Ok, let's say, I'm the spendmoneyonadvertisingchit exec for a major company, somewhere in frickin$$$LaLa$$$land....

Especially, because of the repated commercials, I see opportunity... maybe "cheap" air time for my sponsors... NOT TRYING TO SELL CHEAP AIR TIME, just sayin!

Or, I'm a rich guy who likes airplanes, maybe I have one, or a few... I see this programming on and watch it, as I roll along with the program, I see an exciting opportunity, a really fun place to put my major dollars that I want to spend before I die....

Then...

I come across this kind of messages from loyal fans of the sport and...

Maybe, I think about dropping some dollars into NASCAR or NHRA...

Just seems like, every time someone does something REAL... gets it into the public eye..

The most avid of race fans, somehow, swing wide of supporting the effort?

You loyal guys who are members and post here, are but a minority of the total casual visitor who reads us, but who are not and, likely will not ever be a member here. They are just surfing the web and something catches their eye via google or whatever..

You never know who that casual visitor dropping by here might be..

If I'm looking at a sport to become financially affiliated with that can't even garner, somewhat, blind loyalty from its most avid fans...

Where you gonna put YOUR money?

This site has over 3,000 casual visits per day, would it not be good to present the most optimistic POV's when it comes to marketing of our sport?

PR man... PR..

Wayne Sagar
                      "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Jusst Sayin'
                        Wayne Sagar
                        "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar View Post
                          Aaack!

EVERY time a legitimate entity sticks their necks out, opens their pockets, rents the hardware and talented folks to man it, and gets something done..

Cheyhithotdoggiedaymnit... here ewe guys are ready to jump on and crucify the effort.

Dammy, Ok, let's say, I'm the spendmoneyonadvertisingchit exec for a major company, somewhere in frickin$$$LaLa$$$land....

Especially, because of the repated commercials, I see opportunity... maybe "cheap" air time for my sponsors... NOT TRYING TO SELL CHEAP AIR TIME, just sayin!

Or, I'm a rich guy who likes airplanes, maybe I have one, or a few... I see this programming on and watch it, as I roll along with the program, I see an exciting opportunity, a really fun place to put my major dollars that I want to spend before I die....

Then...

I come across this kind of messages from loyal fans of the sport and...

Maybe, I think about dropping some dollars into NASCAR or NHRA...

Just seems like, every time someone does something REAL... gets it into the public eye..

The most avid of race fans, somehow, swing wide of supporting the effort?

You loyal guys who are members and post here, are but a minority of the total casual visitor who reads us, but who are not and, likely will not ever be a member here. They are just surfing the web and something catches their eye via google or whatever..

You never know who that casual visitor dropping by here might be..

If I'm looking at a sport to become financially affiliated with that can't even garner, somewhat, blind loyalty from its most avid fans...

Where you gonna put YOUR money?

This site has over 3,000 casual visits per day, would it not be good to present the most optimistic POV's when it comes to marketing of our sport?

PR man... PR..

Well said Wayne!

It's a start. At least we got some kind of coverage. I thought it was decent - not a replacement for the actual thing, but since I couldn't make it last year, I appreciated it.

The ones that don't have anything nice to say are probably those that wouldn't be satisfied no matter what was put on screen. If anyone can do better or knows how to do better, than put your money up and do it!

Comment

Well said Wayne. I try to make it every year thru thick & thin & if it wasn't for the people on this Web there has been years when I wouldn' have made it to Reno. I thank Wayne & all of you. The NBCS Air Race show was a start & just maybe the best is yet to come. Wayne is right about the surfers as there are sometime I'm the only one logged on but there may be 35 visitors.
                            Lockheed Bob

Comment

It left to much out of what really goes on there. Most of you have posted what should have been on the show. They wasted way to much time on repeated advertisements. The show was just a teaser of the real thing. They have to show all the classes, pits, midway, aircraft displays, vendors, lines at the restrooms and more to give a real feeling of what goes on there. I'm not sure you can capture the races on TV as opposed to being there.

Maybe some of us that are bitiching should sign on with NBC as producers/directors for the next one so they will get it right.

Ron

Comment

Well, this was kind of weird today.
                                At my work I found a copy of USA Today marked thrs, and I started reading through it thinking it was last thrs.(3/31) Turns out it is from the previous thrs (3/24), the week before this show.
                                In every USA Today there is the "State-by-State" page that has a little general interest story from every state.
                                The story for Nevada that day was a notice that this show was going to be shown the following sunday.

I guess that counts as "advertising" for the show, but it was pretty subtle and you would have had to know where to look for it.
                                remember the Oogahonk!

old school enthusiast of Civiltary Warbirds and Air Racers

Comment

Working...
                                X