NBC Coverage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NBC Coverage

All in all, I think it was very well done. To those of us who have gone, clearly not long enough to capture the experience, but it was a good first try. It was too bad there was only a snippet of coverage for the F1, T6 and biplanes at the very end, but all in all, not bad. Could they expand it quite a bit? Absolutely. There was a lot of really great racing in the Silver heats of many of the races, but even the bronze groups had some good come from behind racing. As others have mentioned in the past, they could make this a year long weekly show where they follow different racers in the lead up to September. Perhaps show a little of the rebuild of PM, and all that goes into building an unlimited. Following any one of the other racers as well. There is so much that goes into putting a racer on the grid in any class. There is a lot of innovation going on with all the gold heat racers, in all the classes (ok, perhaps not in the T6 class, but I could be wrong there.) Heck, the F1 and Sport class guys down in Mojave are doing some pretty cool stuff with composites. Explore what goes into making a wing, or cowling, or? Give the companies who are working in the background some coverage, and that could bring more outside companies in.

Thanks for the coverage NBC Sports. Good stuff, lets go bigger for 2016!

Will

Re: NBC Coverage

They said they want to do a 3 part series for 2016 and cover everything a lot more!
    Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Anyone have an email address for NBC to send them feedback on the show? Perhaps if there are enough emails, NBC will expand beyond 3 episodes.

Will

Comment

Originally posted by RAD2LTR View Post
        Anyone have an email address for NBC to send them feedback on the show? Perhaps if there are enough emails, NBC will expand beyond 3 episodes.

Will
        I'll die happy if, someday, this sport is treated like the Indy 500 used to be. It's all about the buildup!
        Wayne Sagar
        "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Best advertising NCAR could get.

Comment

Originally posted by RAD2LTR View Post

Will
            Who's going to pay for that?

Jarrod

Comment

Very well done. About what could be expected for a mainstream audience. I'm sure glad the producers did not include any of the audio from Steve S. during the Unlimited segments. Maybe RARA should take note.
              "Lighten Up Francis....."

Comment

Evening,

I do not agree with most of the posts about the NBC coverage. It was poor, if not lame. It will probably not get any of the viewers to come and see the races first hand, and you have to see the races in person to get Reno.

There was no build up to the races, no crew stories, no crew shots of them working on the planes, no background on the pilots, owners, crews etc. Nothing of what has made the NCAR a event to attend in person.

For those of us fortunate to put eyeballs, blood sweet and tears into the NCAR I almost cried watching the pitiful NBC broadcast, which by the way was on a NBC channel that most of the country does not get, so you really see how the network feels about the NCAR.

On late Sunday afternoon at Reno it's all about the anticipation, the sound and the speed of the Unlimited Gold race. For those who have not been there, done that, there is no way to explain the sound of the Unlimited racers at full tilt coming out of the Valley of Speed and turning for the home pylon. John Altman's "Reno On Record" comes close, but you have to be there and hear the sound with your own ears to appreciate what the NCAR is.

The NBC coverage is a start I hope. I fear it is another one of many past programs that will not bring new fans, spectators or sponsors to the spot.

Me...Well I plan on being on the ramp at Reno this coming September as I have been every year except four now since 1980. I've been very fortunate to have been with some really class planes and people. I've made a lot of life long friends at Reno over the years and that is the greatest thing about Reno. The planes are fast and exciting, but it's the people behind them that are the real untold secret of the NCAR. Its the people. Especially the ones who are no longer among us.

Warbird Willie
                Last edited by Warbird5; 03-28-2016, 09:02 PM.

Comment

Did not enjoy at all. Drones? Really? Instead of anything at all about the other HALF of the classes?

Comment

As a first go, I thought it was alright. Not great, but not bad. At least there wasn't any FKS. Obviously, to us hardcore fans, there is WAY more to the races than could ever be stuffed into a 1hr broadcast and I'm sure we all have our ideas on what we would do with a 1hr broadcast. We ain't the ones putting broadcast boots on the ground though. The folks in those trenches have way more to deal with than we will probably ever know. The show wasn't put together to please us. It was put together to please the network and the sponsors. Make them happy and maybe, just maybe you'll get a chance to bring some segments you envisioned in the first place to the table. With word of a three pack for next year, it appears that might be a possibility. I'm hoping they will bring all the classes to the spotlight and maybe show a full gold race or two. I've got my fingers crossed but I'm not necessarily holding my breath. I know it's never going to be for me. If you think it's going to be for you, you're just setting yourself up for disappointment.

My only real criticism was the sound or lack thereof. I think they could have focused more attention to that. It truly is an important and incredible aspect of the Unlimiteds and it's something they should definitely exploit in future broadcasts.
                    Last edited by Fence Sence; 03-29-2016, 01:18 AM.
                    You'll get your chance, smart guy!

Comment

Well said Fence.
                      Given what they had to work with time-wise, it was OK and a good start. I know they took a TON of footage all week so there is much more they can do if the time slot is longer.
                      As far as sound, I remember the announcer on WWofS always seemed to bring that sense of anticipation to it. Heck, they could make curling an edge-of-seat event.
                      Was good to see it at all, and I hope for more.
                      Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
                      airplanenutleo@gmail.com
                      thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Originally posted by Leo View Post
                        Well said Fence.
                        Given what they had to work with time-wise, it was OK and a good start. I know they took a TON of footage all week so there is much more they can do if the time slot is longer.
                        As far as sound, I remember the announcer on WWofS always seemed to bring that sense of anticipation to it. Heck, they could make curling an edge-of-seat event.
                        Was good to see it at all, and I hope for more.
                        The announcing "sound" was alright to me, the problem was there wasn't enough "sound" of the planes on the course. This was obviously because they had to drown out Steve at the actual races so they could overlap the new announcing on top. I think they was to help this would've been more action shots from the pylons where all you hear is the sound of raw horsepower. I didn't enjoy the show but I'm happy it happened
                        Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Some good points...all. While I would have liked to have seen a bit more from the pylons (sense of speed and sound) and more from the other classes, it's important to keep in mind who the likely audience is here. And that means the audience likely does not include anyone who has built a profile on AAFO. NBC is appealing to those who would come to Reno because of the telecast, not in spite of it.

Drones..yes. If this sport is to survive, we must appeal to the future generations and Drones are a great way to exploit that.

Bottom line: a solid first step towards building interest and exposing the uninitiated and uninformed. Let's keep in mind every journey starts with a first step. For RARA, this was a good one. Hope 2016 and future years bring NBCSport back for more.
                          Owen Ashurst
                          Performer Air Boss - Reno Air Races
                          http://airbossone.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Air Judge View Post
                            Some good points...all. While I would have liked to have seen a bit more from the pylons (sense of speed and sound) and more from the other classes, it's important to keep in mind who the likely audience is here. And that means the audience likely does not include anyone who has built a profile on AAFO. NBC is appealing to those who would come to Reno because of the telecast, not in spite of it.

Drones..yes. If this sport is to survive, we must appeal to the future generations and Drones are a great way to exploit that.

Bottom line: a solid first step towards building interest and exposing the uninitiated and uninformed. Let's keep in mind every journey starts with a first step. For RARA, this was a good one. Hope 2016 and future years bring NBCSport back for more.
                            I agree with the intended goal to seek new spectators. I thought it was very elementary, but perfect to explain the races to potential new fans.

My only complaint was too many of the same commercials. Over and over 'Don't Fence me In" 14 minutes worth, really? Could have had an extra 10 minutes for the other classes. Everyone watching the show would have a good idea after couple commercial breaks what this show is about. You have to remember, todays TV viewers have short attention spans, keep their attention with a great show, why risk loosing your audience to a different channel when they surf during commercials??

Comment

Well, for the uninformed viewer (doesn't have a clue about air racing), it pretty much was an hour long commercial. I hope some of the Red Bull air race viewers watched and now understand what real air racing is. The more exposure the better.

Comment

Working...
                              X