Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Precious Metal" in pieces........

Default "Precious Metal" in pieces........new pics 3/2017

.... at Kissimmee Air Museum (not my pics).

Last edited by Lon Moer; 03-25-2017 at 09:42 PM.
    remember the Oogahonk!

old school enthusiast of civilian Warbirds

Default Re: "Precious Metal" in pieces........

Thanks for posting them!
    Anthony

Any word on the extent of the damage?? Hopefully it's minor.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by supercub View Post

Brian
    The most recent post onFB indicates no update for now but not much longer. Let's hope for one soon!

Quote Originally Posted by supercub View Post

Brian
    The most recent post onFB indicates no update for now but not much longer. Let's hope for one soon!

Looks a little toasty! Time to go Carbon fiber!

If it had been a composite airframe, I doubt there would be anything left to rebuild....

I wasn't saying carbon fiber would have been more fire resistant, just that it would be sweet to build one out of carbon since they can't use most of that one.

I'm completely inexperienced with aluminum sheet's resistance to fire, if that were steel, it would look simply like the paint took the brunt of it. Any way for them to tell if the metal underneath the charred paint is OK or toast w/o destructive testing?

GO PM RENO 2016!
    Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Quote Originally Posted by AAFO_WSagar View Post
    I'm completely inexperienced with aluminum sheet's resistance to fire, if that were steel, it would look simply like the paint took the brunt of it. Any way for them to tell if the metal underneath the charred paint is OK or toast w/o destructive testing?

GO PM RENO 2016!
    The grain structure and heat treatment of the aluminum alloy used in the airframe will be compromised if it is heated past the point of boiling water (around 212 degrees F most places), around 205 F at Reno (due to the higher elevation). A structural engineer would probably say anything over 200 degrees F. for 2024 Alclad material.
    It can be tested by eddy-current non-destructive testing. On a large sheet of skin, the unit can be calibrated in a known good area, and then tested where it was obviously heated up, and the NDI guy will be able to tell you if the part is good or not. There are also some other tests that can be done, but a hardness test on Alclad is not very accurate, due to the pure aluminum layer that is rolled on both sides of the alloy core when the metal is rolled out at the factory. If the paint is scorched, it is probably roached. If the part is wrinkled, buckled, or blistered, forget it.
    Extrusions and castings could be hardness tested. They are the same material throughout the part.
    The Mustang has magnesium castings for the main gear mounts, as I recall, as well as several other cast parts from magnesium.
    The pictures probably don't look nearly as bad as what the damage really is.
    Last edited by toldjaso; 01-26-2016 at 09:34 PM.