Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Golden Age racers you would to see "modernized"

Rules:
    1) The aircraft must maintain the original planform and basic shape- it should be instantly recognizable, if not confused with the original.
    2 Anything else goes- modern materials, engines, propellers, airfoils may be used. Anything to improve the efficiency of the design and make it faster.

My vote is for the DH-88 Comet. A pair of Falconer V-12's, composite construction, and laminar flow airfoils. Maybe widen the fuselage a bit to make it a practical four place cross country machine. I think that would be a great plane to see turning the pylons

Click image for larger version

Name:	de_havilland_dh_88_comet_by_daniel_wales_images-d7ycnbe.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	487.2 KB
ID:	242020

Re: Golden Age racers you would to see "modernized"

I don't know that they would need to be modernized. It would be cool to have a class of Golden Age racers racing however. Run them around the biplane course. They wouldn't have to be the real deal, replicas would be fine, as long as they are pretty close replicas. Seriously, how cool would it be to have a golden age class and pits?

Will

Comment

Originally posted by RAD2LTR View Post
      I don't know that they would need to be modernized. It would be cool to have a class of Golden Age racers racing however. Run them around the biplane course. They wouldn't have to be the real deal, replicas would be fine, as long as they are pretty close replicas. Seriously, how cool would it be to have a golden age class and pits?

Will
      I proposed that idea 20 years ago....nobody was interested. Heck, the Bill Turner collection in Flabob could probably provide an entire field's worth of racers.

Comment

The Keith Rider R-3/Marcoux-Bromberg Special with a 2800, 3350 or go crazy with a 4360 :P
        I like round motors
        Last edited by hm66sk; 01-19-2016, 12:01 AM.
        "And if they stare, just let them burn their eyes on your moving."

Comment

Originally posted by RAD2LTR View Post
          I don't know that they would need to be modernized. It would be cool to have a class of Golden Age racers racing however.
          Well, the thing that made me think of the idea was that, for example, the DH-88 was a 230-240mph airplane, but it LOOKS like it's capable of 350-400mph. So other than raw horsepower, what was holding it back? Add some modern engines and props that should fit the space allotted pretty well, do all the "invisible" aero clean up that has been learned in the past 70+ years, and let 'er rip!

I'm sure there are plenty of other planes that I'm not aware of that would probably benefit greatly from the same concept.

Comment

Originally posted by 1:1 Scale View Post
            Rules:
            1) The aircraft must maintain the original planform and basic shape- it should be instantly recognizable, if not confused with the original.
            2 Anything else goes- modern materials, engines, propellers, airfoils may be used. Anything to improve the efficiency of the design and make it faster.

My vote is for the DH-88 Comet. A pair of Falconer V-12's, composite construction, and laminar flow airfoils. Maybe widen the fuselage a bit to make it a practical four place cross country machine. I think that would be a great plane to see turning the pylons

[ATTACH=CONFIG]21884[/ATTACH]
            My buddy Paul has the same idea...... He needed to give it CW props to keep the diameter down for clearance.
            Attached Files

Comment

I'm a little surprised that this thread didn't take off with more ideas. I would like to add a couple to it, the Buggati 100 and the Napier-Heston Racer. Both look good on paper.

RichB

Comment

A little bit off topic, but I was always interested to see in the race course the Martin Baker 5 replica. What happened with it?
                And yes, the Comet would look very nice in the race course.

Comment

GEE BEE with a 4360 ...................."HANG ONNNnnnnnn!!!"

Brian

Comment

Originally posted by supercub View Post
                    GEE BEE with a 4360 ...................."HANG ONNNnnnnnn!!!"

Brian
                    I would love to see that
                    Knotty Girl Crew

Comment

Originally posted by 1:1 Scale View Post
                      Well, the thing that made me think of the idea was that, for example, the DH-88 was a 230-240mph airplane, but it LOOKS like it's capable of 350-400mph. So other than raw horsepower, what was holding it back? Add some modern engines and props that should fit the space allotted pretty well, do all the "invisible" aero clean up that has been learned in the past 70+ years, and let 'er rip!

I'm sure there are plenty of other planes that I'm not aware of that would probably benefit greatly from the same concept.
                      The Comet was a pretty clean airplane even back then, built like the Mosquito from wood and then fabric covered. The big thing with the Comet wasn't all out speed, they were built for the MacRobertson Air Race from London to Melbourne, so range was the big thing for them. Sure they were also pretty quick for their day too. but in terms of golden age racers, hmmm so many to chose from, of course the Hughes H-1 would be a choice, or any of the Roscoe Turner airplanes.
                      race fan, photographer with more cameras than a camera store

Comment

ok I'll play: the Bugatti with a Merlin

Comment

Working...
                        X