Pond Racer Mold

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pond Racer Mold

Picture from 2011, but still cool to see this stuff out there! I think that thing would have been an amazing sport class airplane with a couple Lavelle grade Lycomings on it.

For our regular Wednesday post this week, we did a photo essay of sorts based on our visit this past Sunday to the Palm Springs Air Museum. You can read that first post by clicking HERE. The museum…

Random Air Blog

Re: Pond Racer Mold

I think that is the plug FOR the mold????
    "And if they stare, just let them burn their eyes on your moving."

Comment

Originally posted by hm66sk View Post
      I think that is the plug FOR the mold????
      Correct.

Comment

Originally posted by Samuel View Post
        Picture from 2011, but still cool to see this stuff out there! I think that thing would have been an amazing sport class airplane with a couple Lavelle grade Lycomings on it.

For our regular Wednesday post this week, we did a photo essay of sorts based on our visit this past Sunday to the Palm Springs Air Museum. You can read that first post by clicking HERE. The museum…

Pretty cool! But, if you were to do 'normal' airplane engines, they would have to be small. The one and only rule for the sport class is 1,000 cubic inch piston engine. Jeff ran a 580 I suppose the closest thing to 500 cubes each would be the Continental 470 that is in a bunch of Bonanza's right?

Somebody should 3D scan that plug, just so it never really goes away.
        Unleashed Air Racing

Comment

Originally posted by Dudewanarace View Post
          Pretty cool! But, if you were to do 'normal' airplane engines, they would have to be small. The one and only rule for the sport class is 1,000 cubic inch piston engine. Jeff ran a 580 I suppose the closest thing to 500 cubes each would be the Continental 470 that is in a bunch of Bonanza's right?

Somebody should 3D scan that plug, just so it never really goes away.
          That air frame had so much intersection drag, among other issues, that it would really be pointless to try and re-engineer it for air cooled conventional engines. A new one off design would be cheaper and could be made much faster in the long run.

Comment

With one of THESE

Comment

Originally posted by 1:1 Scale View Post
              With one of THESE
              Packaging and cooling would be a big issue with that shoved in a Sport class sized airframe.

Comment

This thing was a mistake from the first napkin drawing.

A one-off Tsunami type project would be far better suited for the Sport Class. See: NXT

- Joseph

Comment

Just for the record I do agree, not a great airplane. Not one I would build anyway. But, interesting regardless. Something about old composite tooling laying around always has an interesting story.
                  Unleashed Air Racing

Comment

Originally posted by Dudewanarace View Post
                    Just for the record I do agree, not a great airplane. Not one I would build anyway. But, interesting regardless. Something about old composite tooling laying around always has an interesting story.
                    I have heard various claims of how many of the original molds are left. If there are enough of them left it would be cool to pull a fiberglass shell that could be hung in the museum as a tribute to Rick.

Comment

Working...
                    X