Me 209

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Me 209

Just got back from a pretty epic trip. This was hiding in the back of a very cold hangar in Krakow Poland. I sure wish she had a better home. This is "the" Me 209.

Jim

Re: Me 209

That is awesome! What engine did they power it with?
    Random Air Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Samuel View Post
      That is awesome! What engine did they power it with?
      Pretty sure it was a suped up DB 601...469mph

Jim

Comment

Thanks for sharing. That is a major piece of history right there brother!
        '71 S.D.1000, '85-'91,'94',95,'97-'99,'02,'04,'06,'08,'10,'13,'14 NCAR.

Comment

Kind of the German version of Tsunami. I wonder how much power a modded 601 could make compared to a Nixon / Flores prepped Merlin?

Comment

DB 601 world record motor (named Re V) was rated 2770 HP @ 3100 RPM (with ADI) for 5 or so minutes.
            Not bad for the late 30s, but no chance against modern race Merlins, which are running at roundabout 150 in MAP.
            DB 601 only could made less than the half...

Gibbs
            Last edited by Gibbs; 12-01-2015, 09:09 AM.

Comment

Really cool, thanks for sharing!

Comment

Because of the poor place: over the years there had been some attempts to bring her back home for restauration, but with no success (apparently the Poland authorities don't want this).
                From what I understand, wings and engine and prop also doesn't no more exist.

Gibbs

Comment

During our visit to the Berlin Technical Museum our tour guide gave us a brief history of the aircraft at Krakow. It seems Herman Goring was quite the aircraft collector. As the war progressed his collection of 70 aircraft was dispersed to the East and ended up in Poland. The 209 was amongst these aircraft. Very few of these aircraft remained intact and many lost their wings in the move process. In talking with the our guide at the Berlin Museum they would very much like to have some of the pieces for their museum but relations are still a bit icy. It's too bad because many of the airframes are in an open hangar with absolutely no climate controls...including the 209.

Jim

Comment

Working...
                  X