Question for Reno Air Race Historians

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question for Reno Air Race Historians

Just wondering if a spitfire has every raced and what year?

Re: Question for Reno Air Race Historians

Yes. The Cleveland 1949 Air Races. A MK.X1Ve Spitfire TZ138 Race #80 named Canadian-Edmonton placed 3rd at a speed of 359.565. The plane was purchased for $1250. After the race the pilot,I think whose last name was McArthur, went to the banquet collected the winnings & after having a fallout with others involved took off the next morning with the winnings & wasn't heard from again so the story goes. The plane is still around & was last based in Richmond,BC as TZ138 C-GSSPT.
    Lockheed Bob

Comment

Bruce Lockwood also gently raced a Spit at the Phoenix races. They had a "stock" class, with Spit, P-47, and P-38 etc. Not real competitive racing, but great fun and good photo opportunities.

Neal

Comment

Originally posted by wingman View Post
        Bruce Lockwood also gently raced a Spit at the Phoenix races. They had a "stock" class, with Spit, P-47, and P-38 etc. Not real competitive racing, but great fun and good photo opportunities.

Neal
        Didn't Price run both of his Spitfires at Phoenix, Neal? The bubble top Griffon and the Mark 9?

Comment

Originally posted by Big_Jim View Post
          Didn't Price run both of his Spitfires at Phoenix, Neal? The bubble top Griffon and the Mark 9?
          Ok, But the answer was?
          John Slack

Comment

Originally posted by BellCobraIV View Post
            Ok, But the answer was?
            Don't you have a pair of Mustangs to finish restoring? Shouldn't your time be better spent focusing on the task at hand instead of trolling me? Besides...I want a ride when you're done with either Mustang (or both).

AND after that, you have the HA-1112 'starter project' stored in your garage.

Oh yeah, tough guy...and then we have to figure out how to recover your B-58 'intact'.

But for the record, yes....Bruce Lockwood ran both of David Price's Spitfires at Phoenix 1995. The Mk. 9 was shockingly numbered #9. And the Mk. 14 was...anyone? Buehler? #14.

Comment

Oh yeah, tough guy...and then we have to figure out how to recover your B-58 'intact'.
              That sounds interesting!

Jarrod

Comment

Originally posted by airtj View Post
                Just wondering if a spitfire has every raced and what year?
                In this website there is an interesting thread dated in 2008:
                All Air Racing All the time! Unregistered visitors: this forum is open for your reading enjoyment. We invite you to join so you can enjoy the full features of this system. Including file uploads, event calender, private messages and more. Due to an unmanageable amount of SPAM membership applications, the join process is a few step process. It all makes it secure!

Comment

Originally posted by taglialavore View Post
                  In this website there is an interesting thread dated in 2008:
                  http://www.aafo.com/hangartalk/showt...res-ever-raced
                  Guess the CAF Spitfire didn't go through

Thanks for linking that though
                  Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Originally posted by GRNDP51 View Post
                    Guess the CAF Spitfire didn't go through
                    A lot of things didn't happen after Gary passed away.

Comment

Don't you have a pair of Mustangs to finish restoring? Shouldn't your time be better spent focusing on the task at hand instead of trolling me? Besides...I want a ride when you're done with either Mustang (or both).

AND after that, you have the HA-1112 'starter project' stored in your garage.
                      Your sounding like my wife now.......BTW the project in the garage (Porsche) after Mustangs, will be German powered when it's turn comes along. The HA-1112 project needs a lot more parts, currently that project is more yours than mine.
                      Last edited by BellCobraIV; 10-22-2015, 11:35 AM.
                      John Slack

Comment

Looking up Spitfires that raced in Cleveland, I came across the XP-40Q. The second prototype raced in 1947 and was lost, I wondered what happened to the first prototype.
                        Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Reever View Post
                          Looking up Spitfires that raced in Cleveland, I came across the XP-40Q. The second prototype raced in 1947 and was lost, I wondered what happened to the first prototype.
                          Steve
                          There were actually three XP-40Q prototypes. The first and third were damaged in test crashes and not rebuilt.

The XP-40Q was a final attempt by Curtiss to extend the life of its P-40 fighter design. While it was a good aircraft, the XP-40Q was on par or outclassed by other fighters already in production.

Comment

The first and third were damaged in test crashes and not rebuilt.
                            Mark K....

Comment

There were actually three XP-40Q prototypes. The first and third were damaged in test crashes and not rebuilt.

https://oldmachinepress.wordpress.co...urtiss-xp-40q/
                              Good info on the XP-40Q. Thank you for the link.
                              Steve

Comment

Working...
                              X