Stew and the Bear!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stew and the Bear!!

Stew Dawson and the Bear during the practice and qual sessions, Reno 2015.

Jason
    Jason Schillereff

Re: Stew and the Bear!!

Great vid and thank you. Man, it was smokey early in the week.

Comment

Another great video Jason!

It was nice to see the Bear run stong this year.

Don

Comment

Originally posted by CRJpilot View Post
        Another great video Jason!

It was nice to see the Bear run stong this year.

Don
        Yes - nicely done (again), Jason. Thank you.

Comment

thanks guys!! Yes, it was nice to see the Bear running strong again, even if it was on a 'stock' engine??
          Jason
          Jason Schillereff

Comment

I wonder if full power is ever used on RB during take-off? Considering the climb rate this plane is capable of, it sure doesn't look like it...

Comment

Originally posted by grampi View Post
              I wonder if full power is ever used on RB during take-off? Considering the climb rate this plane is capable of, it sure doesn't look like it...
              Only during the time to climb and I've heard that scary story from both Lyle and Slack. I guess it was quite the ride!

Comment

Love the sound of the Bear! Thanks Jason.
                Random Air Blog

Comment

I assume he has to balance the engine load (heat) with the mass air low through the small opening in the cowling at take off speed. During TTC the Bear had much smaller spinner which allowed increased mass air flow at lower climb speed. Balancing heat produced with heat removed.
                  Deep Enough

Comment

I seem to recall one of the current/former Bear pilots saying it was out of rudder long before full power could be applied on takeoff. Can't remember for sure though.

Comment

Originally posted by Donald McMullin View Post
                      I assume he has to balance the engine load (heat) with the mass air low through the small opening in the cowling at take off speed. During TTC the Bear had much smaller spinner which allowed increased mass air flow at lower climb speed. Balancing heat produced with heat removed.
                      Deep Enough
                      No not the issue at all the engine cools better with the big spinner and the modified DC-7 cowling than the F8F cowling and the P-51H spinner. The biggest part of the deal is full throttle in that no wing, length torque monster would make you dead. The gear speed is also exceeded quickly, ever watch the Bear have a gear hang on take off. The bottom line is you just don't need to do it so why. It will fly off at reasonable power.

For the time to climb we had a helicopter load release device anchored to the ground, Lyle dialed in the power he wanted, nodded his head Cliff released him, he was off the ground in like 200 feet. Awesome to watch and powerful to stand next to and feel!
                      John Slack

Comment

Originally posted by BellCobraIV View Post
                        No not the issue at all the engine cools better with the big spinner and the modified DC-7 cowling than the F8F cowling and the P-51H spinner. The biggest part of the deal is full throttle in that no wing, length torque monster would make you dead. The gear speed is also exceeded quickly, ever watch the Bear have a gear hang on take off. The bottom line is you just don't need to do it so why. It will fly off at reasonable power.

For the time to climb we had a helicopter load release device anchored to the ground, Lyle dialed in the power he wanted, nodded his head Cliff released him, he was off the ground in like 200 feet. Awesome to watch and powerful to stand next to and feel!
                        Thank you John for the clarification, great to get first person input.

Comment

Originally posted by Donald McMullin View Post
                          Thank you John for the clarification, great to get first person input.
                          Your welcome, I got to live on the inside during really exciting times, I grew up with the Bear, I got to be involved deeply in the Bear's engine program starting when I was 10. I got to work for Zeuschel and go racing with Zeuschel's with several programs. I got to change the wing angle on Strega, I got to work for Dwight Thorn and was involved in Allison Rod Mice. The crew members I've been graced in knowing would fill this thread.

I'm sincerely glad to be able to answer.
                          John
                          John Slack

Comment

I'm sincerely glad to be able to answer.
                            John
                            John, I wouldn't trade my dad for all the riches in the world, and since I got to know your dad, I know just how much Lyle meant to you.

Funny thing about Lyle, he was a Super Star, a genuine frickin' all American HERO!

You would never know it sitting talking with him.

Click image for larger version

Name:	04.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	228078

Unless he was fired up, from my experience, it would be very hard to reconcile the soft spoken Texas gentleman you might meet as Lyle Shelton, with the firewalled competitor, Pilot Owner of Lyle Shelton's Rare Bear!

I can't believe that I got to know your dad as closely as I did! For a time, I got to deal, pretty much, day to day with a living legend? Amazing! I will forever cherish the memories you share here and with me privately from time to time!

Blue Skies Lyle Shelton!
                            Wayne Sagar
                            "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Do you know what the engine mods were and the amount of HP it was producing at the time of the TTC record?

Comment

Working...
                              X