Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Stew and the Bear!!

Originally posted by grampi View Post
    Do you know what the engine mods were and the amount of HP it was producing at the time of the TTC record?
    Yes I do.
    John Slack

Comment

Originally posted by BellCobraIV View Post
      Yes I do.
      Your response made me laugh, not volunteering any details.

Comment

Originally posted by BellCobraIV View Post
        Yes I do.

I laughed out loud, even though I pretty much knew it was coming... ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by omalley1537 View Post
          I seem to recall one of the current/former Bear pilots saying it was out of rudder long before full power could be applied on takeoff. Can't remember for sure though.
          You could be thinking of Sherm Smoot's description of takeoff power in Czechmate. Somebody asked how much power he used. His response was (paraphrased) "add power until it runs out of rudder travel."
          No pixels were harmed, honest.

http://www.ignomini.com
          http://www.pbase.com/ignomini

Comment

OK, that was fun, the engine at the time of the Time to Climb was a basic R-3350-26WD with a 26WC blower throat. This was before we started using airline and transport based engines for the main part. However even though we started using the EA2 nose cases for our racing endeavors, we switched back to the faster nose for the time to climb. We were still learning about racing R-3350 engines at this point. But experimental application of Nitrous Oxide was ongoing. The base engine program blueprinted to very diligent factory specs at this time provided 3200 Horsepower without Nitrous Oxide or using Nitro Methane. Both of which were used in different applications as needed.

"Better Living Through Chemistry!"
            John Slack

Comment

Is their any video of the time to climb record? Would love to see the take off. Thanks
              Brian

Comment

Originally posted by supercub View Post
                Is their any video of the time to climb record? Would love to see the take off. Thanks
                Brian
                Brian,
                So your question of course my first response was well nobody had video then. But then I remembered my Mom had her 8mm movie camera either during the test or real attempt. Then I thought where in the Shell would that be? All I can say is, if the 8mm footage exists, if, I have put it on the long list of stuff to find.

So for right now that is the answer.
                John
                John Slack

Comment

Working...
                X