X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rod's Projects

So I just saw this...

And he just finished the A-20 Havoc...

So is that the reason 232 was being neglected?? That's a lot of round engines he's been working on and that Connie seems to be a lot more expensive than fixing 232! Awesome to see running though
    Last edited by GRNDP51; 10-10-2015, 11:06 AM.
    Reno from '99 to '22

Re: Rod's Projects

Originally posted by GRNDP51 View Post
    So I just saw this...

And he just finished the B-26...

So is that the reason 232 was being neglected?? That's a lot of round engines he's been working on and that Connie seems to be a lot more expensive than fixing 232! Awesome to see running though
    The only--ONLY--reason bought 232 in the first place was to get the slow nose case off of the R-3350 to use on the Bearcat. Mike Brown wouldn't just sell him the motor or the nose case...he had to buy the whole thing. So ultimately, 232 was never anything more than second fiddle. And I think Rod finally figured out that the return on 232 wasn't worth it when the Bearcat was the prom queen.

Comment

That is sweet!
      Random Air Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Big_Jim View Post
        The only--ONLY--reason bought 232 in the first place was to get the slow nose case off of the R-3350 to use on the Bearcat. Mike Brown wouldn't just sell him the motor or the nose case...he had to buy the whole thing. So ultimately, 232 was never anything more than second fiddle. And I think Rod finally figured out that the return on 232 wasn't worth it when the Bearcat was the prom queen.
        Also, didn't Rod want his Tigercat, and the deal was the same -all 3 airplanes or no deal.

Either way, even though 232 is the most badass Sea Fury(IMHO); it benefits the preservation of history way more to have him put his money into projects like the Connie and his newly restored A-20.

Comment

Originally posted by GRNDP51 View Post
          So Rod has a flying Marauder I've never heard of ??? !! I think you mean he just finished the A-20.

Comment

Originally posted by John H View Post
            So Rod has a flying Marauder I've never heard of ??? !! I think you mean he just finished the A-20.
            B-26 Marauder

....jussayin'
            Eddie's Airplane Patch-Birthplace of the "Sonic Boom".......and I'm reminded every friggin' day!

Comment

Originally posted by SpinB View Post
              B-26 Marauder

....jussayin'
              He is right, my mistake.. Always get them confused, both rare and almost the same plane LOL. But yes, Rod's A-20 is what I meant.
              Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Marilyn Dash is reporting that 232 is for sale;
                People have kicked the tires with their checkbook in hand, but nothing has been finalized.
                remember the Oogahonk!

old school enthusiast of Civiltary Warbirds and Air Racers

Comment

For a spare? Rare Bear already has the slow case, yes? And when I saw 232 at Reno last month, the only thing missing was the prop (swapped over to the Bear). Sad to see 232 relegated to a "parts plane"...

Comment

I believe that 232 has been for sale since last year. Seems like I just read that, possibly someone might be interested in her.
                    Brian

Comment

Originally posted by supercub View Post
                      I believe that 232 has been for sale since last year. Seems like I just read that, possibly someone might be interested in her.
                      Brian
                      I wonder how gold wings on a sea fury would look??
                      *cough cough*
                      Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Originally posted by cragdweller View Post
                        For a spare? Rare Bear already has the slow case, yes? And when I saw 232 at Reno last month, the only thing missing was the prop (swapped over to the Bear). Sad to see 232 relegated to a "parts plane"...
                        The slow nose case for the -3350 was developed for the L-1649 Super Constellation...of which only 44 were ever built. So there were never very many variants of that engine/nose-case built in the first place....and they had become exceedingly rare in the 20 years or so between phasing out the Super Connies and when Lyle &Co. reached the point in the Bear's program where they could use the slow nose case to maximize the horsepower that the Aircraft Cylinder & Turbine motors were putting out under Jack DeBoer's sponsorship. So it was a case of 'hoarding' whatever they could come up with.

The Dwelle's got ahold of one for Critical Mass. At one time Riff Raff had one. September Fury had one. But they're as rare as hens teeth. So that was why Rod had to buy the whole package just to get the nose case for the Bear. I am not positive, but I THINK at one point the Bear team had three of them. The idea being that you have two or three QEC motors with the nose case already attached, so you don't have to tear it apart and play with the gears if you had to swap engines.

Comment

The slow nose case for the -3350 was developed for the L-1649 Super Constellation...of which only 44 were ever built. So there were never very many variants of that engine/nose-case built in the first place....and they had become exceedingly rare in the 20 years or so between phasing out the Super Connies and when Lyle &Co. reached the point in the Bear's program where they could use the slow nose case to maximize the horsepower that the Aircraft Cylinder & Turbine motors were putting out under Jack DeBoer's sponsorship. So it was a case of 'hoarding' whatever they could come up with.

The Dwelle's got ahold of one for Critical Mass. At one time Riff Raff had one. September Fury had one. But they're as rare as hens teeth. So that was why Rod had to buy the whole package just to get the nose case for the Bear. I am not positive, but I THINK at one point the Bear team had three of them. The idea being that you have two or three QEC motors with the nose case already attached, so you don't have to tear it apart and play with the gears if you had to swap engines.
                          I would think that in this day and age of CNC programming and machining, the reduction gears for the slower ratio could be produced for less than the cost of three warbirds. If the case itself is different, that would be a bit more expensive, but still doable...

Comment

I believe Rod still has three, possibly four IF he got the one from Riff Raff. Lufthansa has the other four known to still exist for the Super Connie they are restoring.

Comment

Don't foget Rod's Connie (although not a Super)

Lockheed VC-121A Constellation, First start up in many years, Sold by Planes of Fame Air Museum to Lewis Air Legends of Texas. Video taken at Grand Canyon V...
                              Random Air Blog

Comment

Working...
                              X