Race record books

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Race record books

I'm looking for a list of records for all the unlimited class races dating all the way back to 1964. I thought RARA had them on their site but can only find results going back a few years. NAG does not appear to have a web site.

The reason I ask is that I went to my first air race at Sky Ranch in 64 (or maybe 65) and I'm trying to pin it down. My somewhat fuzzy memory says 64 but the Kodak stamp on the back of the photos I took says Oct. 65. The film could have sat for year. I did not attend both races at Sky Ranch but have missed only 3 years since my first.

I was not there on Sunday. I believe it was a Saturday heat. The photos show #8 Bardahl passing Clay Lacy's purple #64. There was another mustang in the heat. It looks like #13 and is white on top with a pale green bottom and a black strip swooping down the side and going up and down across the tail.

Any help form the experts here would be appreciated.
    Bill Garnett
    InterstellarDust
    Air Race Fanatic since 1965

Re: Race record books

Originally posted by Bill@Interstell View Post
    I'm looking for a list of records for all the unlimited class races dating all the way back to 1964. I thought RARA had them on their site but can only find results going back a few years. NAG does not appear to have a web site.

The reason I ask is that I went to my first air race at Sky Ranch in 64 (or maybe 65) and I'm trying to pin it down. My somewhat fuzzy memory says 64 but the Kodak stamp on the back of the photos I took says Oct. 65. The film could have sat for year. I did not attend both races at Sky Ranch but have missed only 3 years since my first.

I was not there on Sunday. I believe it was a Saturday heat. The photos show #8 Bardahl passing Clay Lacy's purple #64. There was another mustang in the heat. It looks like #13 and is white on top with a pale green bottom and a black strip swooping down the side and going up and down across the tail.

Well, I´m not an expert but taking into account the color scheme you mention about the P-51, and searching old papers, it might be Lyle Shelton, who flew a P-51D (N66111) #12 (not 13) in Sky Ranch Reno 1965. His average speed was 331.99 and finished 6th. Don´t know, looks like very close to your references.

I find #13 is another P-51D ( N6303T) piloted by Dick Kestle in Reno 1965, but it had gray lower surfaces instead.
    I´m reading old information, don´t believe I was there neither remembering it.

Comment

Originally posted by taglialavore View Post
      Well, I´m not an expert but taking into account the color scheme you mention about the P-51, and searching old papers, it might be Lyle Shelton, who flew a P-51D (N66111) #12 (not 13) in Sky Ranch Reno 1965. His average speed was 331.99 and finished 6th. Don´t know, looks like very close to your references.
      Hmmmm it could be a 12. the number is pretty hard to make out in the photo. 50mm lens, Kodacolor print. Forget about the n number.
      Bill Garnett
      InterstellarDust

Comment

This site covers all of the air races; National Air Races
        remember the Oogahonk!

old school enthusiast of Civiltary Warbirds and Air Racers

Comment

Originally posted by Lon Moer View Post
          This site covers all of the air races; National Air Races
          Hmmmm again. aerofiles only shows 3 mustangs in 64 and 2 in 65. Clay Lacy is not listed as a pilot in either race, yet this airplane shown in mustangsmustangs.com is listed as competing with Lyle Shelton as pilot in 65. The piant looks pretty close.

http://www.mustangsmustangs.com/p-51...4239787/5151/2
          Bill Garnett
          InterstellarDust

Comment

Originally posted by Bill@Interstell View Post

That would most likely be the 1965 "Heat 4" on Saturday, Sept. 11

Lyford in the Bardahl Special, Lacy in California Airmotive, Lyle Shelton in #12 (two-tone blue and white) and Dick Kestle #13 (which Taglialavore said was white and grey, but in 1965 was actually white and red with a green trim line).

Comment

To the original poster of this thread thank you for asking a question I've been wanting to ask.

Thanks to the others for some great info and links on the subject!

Big Jim, you are obviously a wealth of information, is there a source you know of or is it all from memory?

Thanks again for all the historic data!

Don

Comment

Working...
              X