X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Any word on Precious Metal yet??

Originally posted by IcePaq View Post
    Big guy in the dark blue is a machine!

The rest really got down to business as well.
    That would be Aaron Realmuto!

Comment

Thank you for posting the video.
      The first thing I thought was that you must be very proud of the people of your team.
      Unbelievable team.

Comment

What a team, interesting how she came apart.

What a advertisement for a energy drink

Looks like your custom canopy survived, I hope?

Thanks for sharing with us.

Team PM rocks.

Comment

This sailing accident reminds me of the Precious Metal fire. When the Americas Cup Sailing Boats were in San Francisco practicing, one of the two Oracle 72 race boats nose dived, capsized, broke apart and drifted out on the outgoing tide a few miles off shore. They were able to get the hull and some big parts of the sail back to shore and had to start again. I don't know what happened to the capsized hull, if it was scrapped or used again. Here is that video:

Comment

Originally posted by SkyvanDelta View Post
            This sailing accident reminds me of the Precious Metal fire. When the Americas Cup Sailing Boats were in San Francisco practicing, one of the two Oracle 72 race boats nose dived, capsized, broke apart and drifted out on the outgoing tide a few miles off shore. They were able to get the hull and some big parts of the sail back to shore and had to start again. I don't know what happened to the capsized hull, if it was scrapped or used again. Here is that video:
            Just without the deep pockets

Comment

PRECIOUS METAL FIRE – OFFICIAL FINDINGS

Dear Race fans,

When we recovered PM weekend before last, we discovered a broken fuel fitting on top of the engine. As you can see from the picture it was a suspicious failure as it was internal to the fitting. Its location in relation to the hottest part of the fire made sense. The likely source of ignition would have been the alternator. Also, its failure would not have caused a fire on the previous flight or taxi. Only after restarting the engine would it have been a potential problem.

In order to verify our findings, we sent the parts to the NTSB laboratories in Washington, DC for further analysis. They put the parts under he microscope and discovered that there were no indications of any pre-existing cracks or failures in the aluminum fitting. There was a significant amount of heat from the fire that softened the aluminum and began what's called incipient melting along the aluminum grain boundaries. The line then pulled apart where we have the fracture. The entire fracture surface and the failure were due to heat overload.

In other words, this is not the cause of the fire and we discovered no further evidence supporting any other condition that could. There were a lot of burnt lines and molten fittings, but all breaks appeared to be post fire. All further evidence was destroyed in the fire. Although we believed we had found the “smoking gun”, it turns out we will be forced to file this under “unsolved mysteries”. The cause will never be known.

We want to thank the NTSB for their support and expertise.

Comment

This has to be a little disconcerting. I was sure hoping the source would be found. Thank you for keeping us updated, Thom.

Steve

Comment

Thank you Mr. Thom Richard to keep us informed.
                  That talks about a good person.

Comment

Originally posted by Rigby View Post
                    Someone mentioned that it would take a week to take the wings off and another week to put them back on with a full crew. Just watched that great video and it only took 48 seconds!
                    LOL!!
                    Happiness Is Giving An Airplane A Clean Belly!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X