Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How About That Silver Race?!

Default Re: How About That Silver Race?!

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty View Post
    HI GUYS..... THIS IS MY FIRST POST ON THE SITE ALTHOUGH I HAVE BEEN WATCHING IT FOR YEARS. POLAR BEAR IS IN A MILLION PIECES DUE TO BOTH STRUCTURAL CORROSION ON THE LOWER LONGERONS AS WELL AS THE WING SPARS IN SIMILAR CONDITION. ALL PARTS HAD STRUCTURAL RED OXIDE PRIMER ON THEM, BUT IT WASN'T QUITE STRUCTURAL ENOUGH FOR ME. ALSO, THE ALLISON ENGINE QEC WAS ADAPTED TO THE "D" MODEL FUSELAGE IN A NOT QUITE SO STRUCTURAL MANNER AND WAS BENDING THE FIREWALL AS WELL AS THE STRUCTURAL ALUMINUM PLATE BEHIND THE FIREWALL THAT WAS KINDA LIKE AN "A" MODEL.
    SO, THE SHORT STORY IS THAT POLAR BEAR IS AT THE MUSZALA FAMILY'S SHOP IN IDAHO FALLS AND THEY WILL DO THE NECESSARY REPAIRS AND IT WILL LOOK A LOT MORE LIKE AN "A" MODEL THAN IT DID AT LAST SIGHTING.
    IN THE MEAN TIME, I DECIDED TO RACE THE YAK AND WOULD LOVE TO BRING BOTH OUT TO RENO IF I CAN FIND ADEQUATE SPONSORSHIP AND SUPPORT. NEVER DID GET TO OPEN THE THROTTLE ON THE YAK DUE TO OIL TEMPERATURES, BUT I THINK IT WOULD DO IN THE 330-340 RANGE IF I DID. MANY THANKS TO PETE LAW FOR HIS ADVICE ON RUNNING THE 1830 IN AUTO LEAN WHICH RESULTED IN AN IMMEDIATE 10MPH JUMP IN COURSE SPEEDS. AFTER RACING THE FORMULAS FOR QUITE A FEW YEARS, IT WAS A BLAST TO BE ON THE BIG COURSE WITH SOME REALLY GOOD, PROFESSIONAL PILOTS THAT GAVE ME ADVICE AND ENCOURAGEMENT LIKE I HAD THE OPPORTUNITY TO DO IN THE MIDGET CLASS. A GREAT BUNCH OF GUYS THAT LOVE AIR RACING......
    Nice post, Dusty.

So what's the plan for the high oil temps? A larger oil cooler? A submersed ("boil-off") oil cooler? Inquiring minds want to know.

I'm hoping for some good Yak-on-Yak battles next year as Steadfast is expected to return in 2016.

Smile Re: How About That Silver Race?!

WELL, TO SAY THE LEAST, THIS WAS JUST A YEAR TO GO HAVE FUN AND SEE WHAT THE OLD GIRL WOULD DO. I WAS SPRAYING EVERY DAY TILL I HEADED WEST WITH THE YAK, AND DIDN'T HAVE MUCH TIME TO DO ANYTHING THAT WOULD RESEMBLE SPEED STUFF, BUT I DID INSTALL A WATER SPRAY SYSTEM FOR THE OIL COOLER ALTHOUGH I DIDN'T THINK WE'D NEED IT. I TOOK A SECONDARY FUEL NOZZLE THAT I HAD SPARE FOR ONE OF MY TURBINE THRUSH'S AND RIGGED IT TO SPRAY WATER ON THE OIL COOLER. IT SEEMED TO WORK WELL EXCEPT ON SUNDAY'S SILVER WHEN THE AIR TEMP WAS HOT AND THE OIL TEMP WAS ON THE REDLINE PRETTY EARLY ON. SO, I RAN AT REDUCED POWER AND JUST FELL IN WHERE I FINISHED. I'D LIKE TO REPLACE THE 10" BRASS COOLER WITH AN ALUMINUM FIN/PLATE SETUP, SO THAT'S IN THE CARDS FOR NEXT YEAR. THIS OBVIOUSLY ISN'T A "RACER", SO JUST HOW FAR DOES A GUY GO TO GET ANOTHER FEW MPH? AS FAR AS RUNNING WITH "STEADFAST", THAT REALLY ISN'T FEASIBLE WITH THIS AIRFRAME WITHOUT A LOT OF MODS AND I DON'T HAVE TIME FOR THEM AS LONG AS I'M FLYING AG ALL SUMMER AND WORKING ON THE MONEY-MAKING MACHINES ALL WINTER. I THINK THE ABSOLUTE HIGHEST SPEED I COULD EVER EXPECT TO ATTAIN WITH THIS AIRFRAME AND KEEPING THE 1830-75 ENGINE WOULD BE ABOUT 360-370 MPH, AND THAT SURE WOULDN'T BE AN ECONOMY CRUISE SETTING.
    A COUPLE THINGS I'D LIKE TO ADD: FIRST OF ALL, IT WAS SUCH AN HONOR TO MEET AND TALK WITH PETE LAW. I'VE READ HIS THOUGHTS ON ADI AND FUEL FLOW STUFF FOR YEARS. SO, ON FRIDAY'S HEAT WHEN THE ENGINE BURPED ON PYLON 7, WE COULDN'T FIND A REAL REASON TO POINT TO, SO PETE CAME OVER AND WE HAD A GREAT TALK AS HE ENCOURAGED ME TO RUN WITH THE FUEL PUMP ON AND ALSO, MORE SURPRISING, TO RUN THE MIXTURE SETTING IN AUTO LEAN. THE NEXT TIME OUT WAS SUNDAY DUE TO A SMASHED MIC PLUG ON MY HELMET ON SATURDAY, AND THE SPEED JUMPED UP 10MPH AT THE SAME POWER SETTING AND IT RAN WAY SMOOTHER AND STOPPED THE BLACK SMOKE SO VISIBLE ON PYLON 2. NEVER TOO OLD TO LEARN......
    AND FINALLY, WE HAD A GENERATOR FAILURE THAT ALMOST KEPT ME FROM QUALIFYING. A GENERATOR SENT FROM S&T AIRCRAFT IN NEW BRAUNFELS, TX, AND A VOLTAGE REGULATOR AND REVERSE CURRENT RELAY SENT FROM MY SHOP IN KANSAS GOT THERE JUST ABOUT TWO SECONDS BEFORE THE NICK OF TIME AND ENABLED ME TO RACE THANKS TO MY CREW GUYS........JOHN MUSZALA JR......AND CREW CHIEF JACOB NIX. WITH A LOT OF HELP FROM MY FRIENDS AS USUAL, THEY BAILED MY HINEY OUT AND I WAS ABLE TO RACE. WHAT A RIDE......

Awesome post Dusty, nice to hear your rookie year treated you well, especially in and Unlimited!! Hope to see that Yak come back faster and faster each year

Quick question about Polar Bear, if you do end up bringing them both within the next few years do you have a second pilot? Unless ones running silver and one bronze (since the entries will probably be a little higher where a bronze is feasible) then you could potentially run both which is plenty of work! Thank for posting on aafo it's cool to hear from unlimited pilots!!
    *My Air Race Site*

Reno from '99 to '19

WELL, UNTIL THE CORROSION PROBLEM BECAME APPARENT ON THE FAKE A-MODEL, I WAS GOING TO HAVE JOHN MUSZALA JR. FLY THE MUSTANG. HE WENT TO ROOKIE SCHOOL WITH ME AND THEN THE MUSTANG WENT DEAD AND HE HAD NO RIDE. HE HAS SOMEWHERE AROUND 150 HOURS IN MUSTANGS AND HAS PASSED THE DREADED AND LEGENDARY SUPER CUB CHECKOUT WITH ME
    THE MUSZALA FAMILY HAS HAD A LONG PRESENCE AT RENO WITH HIS FATHER, JOHN, FLYING MUSTANGS AND SEA FURYS SEVERAL YEARS AGO, AS WELL AS BEING ONE OF THE ORIGINAL "CHINO KIDS" AND WORKING ON THE RED BARON MUSTANG. THEIR APPRECIATION AND HISTORICAL SIGNIFICANCE FOR RENO IS OUTSTANDING AND THEIR CONTRIBUTIONS OVER THE YEARS IS COMMENDABLE AT THE LEAST. AND AS I MAY HAVE NOTED PREVIOUSLY, THAT'S WHERE THE MUSTANG IS NOW FOR THE STRUCTURAL WORK IN THEIR JIGS......
    DD

Dusty,

Thanks for your posts and replies. I suspect that I'm not the only one who enjoyed them.

Blue skies,
    Chris

WELL, UNTIL THE CORROSION PROBLEM BECAME APPARENT ON THE FAKE A-MODEL, I WAS GOING TO HAVE JOHN MUSZALA JR. FLY THE MUSTANG. HE WENT TO ROOKIE SCHOOL WITH ME AND THEN THE MUSTANG WENT DEAD AND HE HAD NO RIDE. HE HAS SOMEWHERE AROUND 150 HOURS IN MUSTANGS AND HAS PASSED THE DREADED AND LEGENDARY SUPER CUB CHECKOUT WITH ME
    THE MUSZALA FAMILY HAS HAD A LONG PRESENCE AT RENO WITH HIS FATHER, JOHN, FLYING MUSTANGS AND SEA FURYS SEVERAL YEARS AGO, AS WELL AS BEING ONE OF THE ORIGINAL "CHINO KIDS" AND WORKING ON THE RED BARON MUSTANG. THEIR APPRECIATION AND HISTORICAL SIGNIFICANCE FOR RENO IS OUTSTANDING AND THEIR CONTRIBUTIONS OVER THE YEARS IS COMMENDABLE AT THE LEAST. AND AS I MAY HAVE NOTED PREVIOUSLY, THAT'S WHERE THE MUSTANG IS NOW FOR THE STRUCTURAL WORK IN THEIR JIGS......
    DD
    Awesome!! Hope he gets his chance soon enough
    *My Air Race Site*

Reno from '99 to '19

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL......
    THOUGHT I MIGHT ADD SOME INFORMATION FOR 2016..... WHEN IT COULD BE THE YEAR OF THE GREAT YAK INFESTATAION........
    SO, RUMOR HAS IT THAT THERE COULD BE AT LEAST THREE MORE UNLIMITEDS SHOW UP NEXT YEAR, TWO OF WHICH ARE YAK 11's, AND ONE "NEW" MUSTANG. THE YAKS ARE BOB YANCEY'S 1830 POWERED MACHINE, AND THE NEWLY FINISHED R-2000 YAK THAT WAS STARTED BY JIM MCKINSTRY AS A PROJECT AND WENT ON TO IRA SALIGMAN WHO HAD TOM CAMP FINISH IT AND FIRST FLIGHTS BY STEVO THIS SUMMER. IT'S NOW BACK ON THE EAST COAST WITH IRA, WHO OWNS BOTH AFOREMENTIONED YAKS AND I SURE HOPE THE RUMORS ARE TRUE AND THESE TWO MACHINES ADD TO THE MIX. THE THIRD MACHINE MENTIONED WOULD BE THE OLD "RISKY BUSINESS" THAT MIKE BROWN NOW OWNS AND WILL HAVE A RACE ENGINE INSTALLED AT THE LEAST. SO GUYS, THIS IS JUST THE RUMOR MILL THAT BLEEDS DOWN TO AN OLD IRISH CROPDUSTER IN KANSAS. HOPEFULLY, A FEW MORE GUYS WILL STEP UP AND TRY THEIR HAND.
    AS YOU ALL KNOW, THIS WILL BE THE FIRST YEAR SINCE JIMMY'S DEATH THAT THE RACES ARE ACTUALLY "POSITIVE" AND IN THE TOTAL "ON" MODE. I KNOW IT'S BEEN HARD FOR RACE TEAMS TO GET PUMPED UP ABOUT RACING WHEN THERE MIGHT NEVER BE A NEXT RACE, BUT THAT CERTAINLY DOESN'T SEEM TO BE THE CASE FOR 2016. SO, THIS ASPECT OF THE EVENT SHOULD CERTAINLY GIVE NEW OWNERS AND PILOTS SOME INCENTIVE TO SCHEDULE ROOKIE SCHOOL AND PLAN FOR THE EVENT, WHICH SURE DOES REQUIRE SOME PLANNING AND GUIDANCE. I HAVE ALREADY HAD SOME CONTACT WITH A NEW YAK PILOT AND WILL HELP HIM KNOW WHAT'S IN STORE FROM A ROOKIE STANDPOINT.......
    WELL, BACK TO BEATING ON THE POOR YAK, BUT I HOPE THIS GETS THE RUMOR MILL CRANKED UP AND I SURE LOOK FORWARD TO SOME MORE COMPETITION ON THE SLOWER END OF THE SPECTRUM AND MAYBE THE OTHER END ALSO.....
    REGARDS, AND THE BEST NEW YEAR'S EVER......
    DUSTY

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL......
    THOUGHT I MIGHT ADD SOME INFORMATION FOR 2016..... WHEN IT COULD BE THE YEAR OF THE GREAT YAK INFESTATAION........
    SO, RUMOR HAS IT THAT THERE COULD BE AT LEAST THREE MORE UNLIMITEDS SHOW UP NEXT YEAR, TWO OF WHICH ARE YAK 11's, AND ONE "NEW" MUSTANG. THE YAKS ARE BOB YANCEY'S 1830 POWERED MACHINE, AND THE NEWLY FINISHED R-2000 YAK THAT WAS STARTED BY JIM MCKINSTRY AS A PROJECT AND WENT ON TO IRA SALIGMAN WHO HAD TOM CAMP FINISH IT AND FIRST FLIGHTS BY STEVO THIS SUMMER. IT'S NOW BACK ON THE EAST COAST WITH IRA, WHO OWNS BOTH AFOREMENTIONED YAKS AND I SURE HOPE THE RUMORS ARE TRUE AND THESE TWO MACHINES ADD TO THE MIX. THE THIRD MACHINE MENTIONED WOULD BE THE OLD "RISKY BUSINESS" THAT MIKE BROWN NOW OWNS AND WILL HAVE A RACE ENGINE INSTALLED AT THE LEAST. SO GUYS, THIS IS JUST THE RUMOR MILL THAT BLEEDS DOWN TO AN OLD IRISH CROPDUSTER IN KANSAS. HOPEFULLY, A FEW MORE GUYS WILL STEP UP AND TRY THEIR HAND.
    AS YOU ALL KNOW, THIS WILL BE THE FIRST YEAR SINCE JIMMY'S DEATH THAT THE RACES ARE ACTUALLY "POSITIVE" AND IN THE TOTAL "ON" MODE. I KNOW IT'S BEEN HARD FOR RACE TEAMS TO GET PUMPED UP ABOUT RACING WHEN THERE MIGHT NEVER BE A NEXT RACE, BUT THAT CERTAINLY DOESN'T SEEM TO BE THE CASE FOR 2016. SO, THIS ASPECT OF THE EVENT SHOULD CERTAINLY GIVE NEW OWNERS AND PILOTS SOME INCENTIVE TO SCHEDULE ROOKIE SCHOOL AND PLAN FOR THE EVENT, WHICH SURE DOES REQUIRE SOME PLANNING AND GUIDANCE. I HAVE ALREADY HAD SOME CONTACT WITH A NEW YAK PILOT AND WILL HELP HIM KNOW WHAT'S IN STORE FROM A ROOKIE STANDPOINT.......
    WELL, BACK TO BEATING ON THE POOR YAK, BUT I HOPE THIS GETS THE RUMOR MILL CRANKED UP AND I SURE LOOK FORWARD TO SOME MORE COMPETITION ON THE SLOWER END OF THE SPECTRUM AND MAYBE THE OTHER END ALSO.....
    REGARDS, AND THE BEST NEW YEAR'S EVER......
    DUSTY
    AWESOME DUSTY!!!!! And don't forget the return of STEADFAST!

Your Yak will be in GREAT company!!!! Good luck in the off season
    *My Air Race Site*

Reno from '99 to '19

Awesome stuff Dusty! Any chance of Polar Bear making it this year? I to am hoping Steadfast makes it.

NO SIR, POLAR BEAR PROBABLY WON'T MAKE IT THIS YEAR. THE BOYS AT PACIFIC FIGHTERS ARE GETTING ALONG GREAT WITH IT, DESPITE FINDING MORE BAD STUFF AT EVERY TURN. I DON'T KNOW WHETHER THEY HAVE PICTURES OF THE PROGRESS ON THEIR WEBSITE OR NOT, BUT IT WILL BE JUST AS PRETTY AS "BERLIN EXPRESS" WHEN FINISHED. THE FIREWALL FORWARD ACTUALLY RACED AT CLEVELAND IN '48/'49. HOPEFULLY, I CAN GET CAUGHT UP ON THRUSH ANNUAL INSPECTIONS WITH ENOUGH TIME LEFT TO VISIT THEM BEFORE THE SPRAY SEASON STARTS.
    WOULD BE NICE IF STEADFAST WAS BACK, BUT THAT'S A LONG WAY TO HAUL A MACHINE FOR ONE WEEK OF RACING IN THE U.S. WOULD BE NICE IF I COULD GET THE TWO HOLER YAK GOING THAT FAST