Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does this happen to you too?

The official post race depression...

For me, usually starts on the way home Monday morning but has also hit me as I leave Stead on Sunday.

I get myself all worked up all year long then the week comes and goes in an instant.

It sucks...
    Last edited by Matt58; 09-25-2015, 09:25 AM.
    "CHARLIE DON'T SURF!!!"

Re: Does this happen to you too?

Yep. Every year.
    My wife says I am useless for 3 weeks. One before, one during and one after.
    Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
    airplanenutleo@gmail.com
    thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

I work out of my home office in Lemmon Valley. Starting Monday (after the races) through out the week you hear all the planes leave.

Its like saying good bye to a long lost friend thats been here for a week.

After all these years everyone has a unique department routine.

Strega and Voodoo usually circle to gain altitude, Strega then heads out over Peavine, Voodoo heads out more West. You can here them for miles.

The Sanders gang likes to take-off as a group get in formation, make one pass to say good bye and head West.

The Air Force guys/gals like to make a grand exit, lots of noise and sometimes a second fast fly-by.

The Idaho gang heads NNE.

I'm usually outside looking up, and saying - thanks for the great week, see you'all next year. Safe travels.

Last edited by Desertdawg; 09-25-2015, 09:34 AM.

Comment

Any news on the rumor that PM may go somewhere in Calif. for rework? Maybe to Shafter to the "Tiger" camp?
        Lockheed Bob

Comment

Same thing every year! I try to start looking ahead to 2016 now especially after a successful year in 2015 and an expected incredible year in 2016. Nobody is hurt, no airframes are damaged, all good news out of Reno this year and I don't have to see any stupid news reports about accidents for the rest of the year.

Even missing Sunday, it was easier than usual to get over post-race depression just because of how good of a year it was and the anticipation for next year just gets me excited already!!!
          Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

I refer to it as "Melancholy Monday." I sit in the grandstands or roam the pits listening to the sounds of forklifts buzzing around and metal poles hitting the tarmac replacing the sounds of race planes. Watching the Pylon Judge campground rapidly thin out as we all find our way back to reality. On some years both Outer 1 and Home Pylon are lowered. It's gut-wrenching and I've no idea why I punish myself like this, but in I also know I just cannot leave on Sunday.

Another year of safe and exciting racing is in the books. The calendar has flipped over and the countdown has begun. Fifty weeks until I return to the land of bad-ass speed and debauchery. I, for one, am moving to SoCal for the winter...can't envision another winter in PNW. Depressing enough to know it will be at least 31 weeks until PRS and I get my RARA fix. Not going to deal with grey, wet, cold as well.

Hurry up June 2016...
            Owen Ashurst
            Performer Air Boss - Reno Air Races
            http://airbossone.com/

Comment

Clearly the problem is not being involved year round. Grab 3 buddies, chip in and start an IF 1 team.....you'll have your year filled with achievement and planning, culminating in actually taking part next year!!!! Remember, a team consists of more than just the stick wiggler......

Comment

It's amazing how Stead changes. I was out there a couple of time about 3 weeks before the races. Rare Bear was in the hangar and the crew was working on her. The stands were partially up. A couple of other race planes in hangars were being worked on...........other then that, a very quite place.
                I arrived the Saturday before the races, it's always fun to watch the arrivals during the week and see the airport literally come alive.
                I too hate to see Monday come after the races, it is a let down............but like everyone else, I reflect on the prior week and start dreaming about the following year. I've said it before, like several of you, this was a great year of racing, nice and safe and a lot of passing in all classes.
                Constructive criticism...yes, negative thoughts...no,
                Love the air races............long may they continue.

Brian

Comment

I have no regrets regarding this years races; some of the best I've seen in a long time. It has me looking forward to 2016!!!

Some one mentioned getting a team together and racing IF1. I have mentioned that too my buddies to many times! I'm leaning more towards the biplanes myself (I do have 50 hours in a 172).

I look forward to this week all year long; a week alone with my great friends and no family. Beers, gambling, racing, airplanes; what's not to like???

All of a sudden, I'm hanging out in the dirt lot waiting for the traffic to die down. I say goodbye to my CA friends and just wait for the right time to head out. I wait as long as I can so I don't miss anything. But I eventually head out, thinking about the weeks worth of entertainment.

I eventually head back to boise, emotional as ever, missing the last week of happenings. I get emotional; embarrassing emotional. I miss every day and every night and use the thought of next year to get me through it.

2016 is going to be an epic year. Blue Angels and possibly the return of many unlimited and sport racers.

I think about what I was doing at this time last week and I get quiet; cause I was with my best friends, drinking, eating, gambling, and had the thoughts of an epic weekend on my mind.

Reno is my Valhalla, my heaven, my little place in this massive world where my selfish self can be one with the sounds of merlins, radials, and opposed cylinders.

I wouldn't miss it for anything; and I haven't since my first showing in 2003.

I love it, I miss it, and the come-down that happens after is very depressing....
                  "CHARLIE DON'T SURF!!!"

Comment

That was perfectly stated Matt. I feel exactly the same way and I would not miss Reno for anything, missing it would be devastating I just love it that much. There isn't a day that goes by where I don't check AAFO or the air racing Facebook pages and that's really saying something. Every day of my life revolves some way or some how around Reno and I LOVE IT!!!

Reno is one of the best things in the world and very few people understand why it's such an addiction to me. There is nothing in this world that can top the air races and I am so ready for what's in store for us next year. LONG LIVE RENO!!!!
                    Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Originally posted by Matt58 View Post
                      Some one mentioned getting a team together and racing IF1. I have mentioned that too my buddies to many times! I'm leaning more towards the biplanes myself (I do have 50 hours in a 172).

I will endlessly advocate starting in IF 1 for a good number of reasons...cost among them. You can be in the air cheaper in IF 1 than Biplane. Right now, Cassutt "Tony the Tiger" is up for sale, ready to go, for $17,500.00 (for example). It will probably still come in dead last....but is a known, solid airframe that gets you started, is great to build a team around and gets your pilot used to being in the racing environment. I've seen Cassutt projects for as low as $6500.00 complete and flying ones from around $12,000.00. Noted IF 1 racers have sold for around $35,000.00 with a spare race engine and a trailer. You simply can't get the affordability even in Biplane....besides, it has rather become a whole bunch of Pitts and an occasional other model....but rarely do you see the sort of mods you find in IF 1. On the IF 1 website you can join their association for like $35.00 a year and get plugged into what's going on....such a deal.

If you can't convince any friends to take part....join up at the association and make it known that you'ed like to turn wrenches for a team and I am fairly sure somebody welcome you into the first step of being an air racer. I invite you into the group to become one of the IF 1 club....

Or PM me...and I can go on endlessly.....

Comment

Working...
                      X