Was the announcing better ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Was the announcing better ??

Seems like the little bit I heard wasn't as bad as before ? The old guy is off the mic now right ?

Re: Was the announcing better ??

Originally posted by John H View Post
    Seems like the little bit I heard wasn't as bad as before ? The old guy is off the mic now right ?
    I think it was the same old guys as before, but I do think it was better. Danny Clisham had times where he didn't sound too well but he knows his information correctly. All of the specific class announcers did very well, especially the sport announcer (he's one of my favorites as he Really knows what he is talking about). Steve Stavrakakis was still there. He was who everyone complained about last year and even though he still says some of the annoying things as usual, he did seem to do a little better with facts (engine size, etc.) and that was the problem before.
    Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Originally posted by GRNDP51 View Post
      I think it was the same old guys as before, but I do think it was better. Danny Clisham had times where he didn't sound too well but he knows his information correctly. All of the specific class announcers did very well, especially the sport announcer (he's one of my favorites as he Really knows what he is talking about). Steve Stavrakakis was still there. He was who everyone complained about last year and even though he still says some of the annoying things as usual, he did seem to do a little better with facts (engine size, etc.) and that was the problem before.
      ...no more of the "giddy girl" stuff ???

....it is a good line (type) (for a circle track).....
      Mayday51
      Jim Gallagher

Comment

Ok, so we survived "R A Bob Hover, The Prince of Pilots". But really, "The Bad Boys of Air Racing"? These are some of the best and most professional pilots in the world risking their (and our) skins to run this race. The announcer should know each pilot, a/c, machine, power plant and history.

If the racers are challenged each year with new rules and more stringent interpretations without the treatment they deserve from RARA and it's announcers, why the hell should they come back? Give them the respect they deserve - in all classes.

Remember, this is the only game in town (world) and it is anything but bush league.

Ron Snow since 1969

Comment

same terrible stuff as always

"Stewie Dawson" was my favorite

Comment

We found the Breitling jet teams announcers over the top french accent quite humorous. "Ze sea is a zmphony of culor." The japanese lady that voiced over the business jets routine was really hard to listen to and understand. Aaahhh. Aaahhh.
            Stewie Dawson? These guys aren't kids people, they are professionals.
            "And if they stare, just let them burn their eyes on your moving."

Comment

How about the Yak in Silver with the smallest engine. Guess those Mustangs were all Griffon powered. Then there was the CT-144 pace plane. Apparently the Bristol Centaurus is an Australian engine. We were laughing over the constant inaccuracies.

Sitting in the boxes, you don't need ear plugs for the planes, you need them for the sheer volume and inanity of the PA system. Having said that, some of the race class announcers were terrific. Rather than just babble on relentlessly, when time "needs" to be filled, why not do some interviews? They just don't have enough to say to fill every minute from dawn till dusk.
              No pixels were harmed, honest.

http://www.ignomini.com
              http://www.pbase.com/ignomini

Comment

Well its a catch 22 for RARA. I know in section 3 early in the day the sound system/speakers are too loud. But once our rowdy group gets going, you don't even hear them.

I can see the issue with the people in the front tarmac boxes, pay all that money and have to endure the constant chatter/noise.

In reality, all RARA is doing is entertaining the crowd, people that never have been there/or kids enjoy that. Its entertaining the masses. Just like NASCAR, ever listen to the two Waltrip gubbers, two hours of them talking is too much too handle!

There are some solutions, get a pit pass and enjoy the event from there. Maybe RARA should consider moving the boxes west towards the pits. Starting at the first reserved bleachers and going west from there. Less speakers and more pit action - thats a "Win Win"

Just a thought.

Last edited by Desertdawg; 09-23-2015, 04:43 PM.

Comment

I never heard "Stewie Dawson" this year..........and thankfully never heard "Little Stevie Hinton."

Kevin

Comment

Originally posted by FuryFan View Post
                    I never heard "Stewie Dawson" this year..........and thankfully never heard "Little Stevie Hinton."

Kevin
                    I didn't hear them either...? That's why I thought announcing was somewhat of an improvement. It's still very annoying but it was better than the tragedy that was announcing 2014 Reno style
                    Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

I joked to my box mates that, instead of using air show announcers, they should hire pro golf commentators, give them a thorough education in the history of air racing - and give them the microphone.

Comment

There was a good post on FB about that awful Stu thing those guys have come up with. I posted , calling a grown man a kid's name is just wrong .

Comment

I've had the pleasure of announcing the t-6 class races several times... my buddy Kenny price took over when I was busy with my t-6 racing association board of directors duties... it's really a challenge and I have MUCH respect for the job the GREAT Sandy Sanders did for so many years...
                          Warlock #75, Steve Ballard, Al "Papa" Goss
                          RIP 03/17/10

Comment

Originally posted by 88SC View Post
                            I joked to my box mates that, instead of using air show announcers, they should hire pro golf commentators, give them a thorough education in the history of air racing - and give them the microphone.
                            Said in hushed tones:

"What happened to Voodoo?"

"I believe a Kraken got him."
                            No pixels were harmed, honest.

http://www.ignomini.com
                            http://www.pbase.com/ignomini

Comment

I too believe the announcing was better this year. Was FKS even there this year? I think Mike Mangold is a fantastic announcer for the Jet Class.
                              Sky Critter

Comment

Working...
                              X