Jet Gold Final

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jet Gold Final

What a great race by Pete Z in the Vampire. I thought I heard a "check speed" call from race control on about lap 6. I had him clocked at 517+ which exceeds the speed limit for the course. He slowed down and Fast Company passed. He throttled back up and took a full lap to catch back up and finally pass at home pylon. Did anyone else here a "check speed" call?
    "Lighten Up Francis....."

Re: Jet Gold Final

I did not know there is a speed limit on the course. What is the speed limit?

Was the speeder going too fast, then slowed down and then got passed by somebody else going faster?
    Last edited by SkyvanDelta; 09-21-2015, 07:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by boomtown View Post
      What a great race by Pete Z in the Vampire. I thought I heard a "check speed" call from race control on about lap 6. I had him clocked at 517+ which exceeds the speed limit for the course. He slowed down and Fast Company passed. He throttled back up and took a full lap to catch back up and finally pass at home pylon. Did anyone else here a "check speed" call?
      I heard a check speed call on Pete during the final and one on both he and Fast Company earlier in the week. I believe the check speed call is made on any lap over 515.
      Last edited by Race5; 09-22-2015, 06:33 AM.

Comment

Yes, there was a call and yes, the speed is 515.
        Owen Ashurst
        Performer Air Boss - Reno Air Races
        http://airbossone.com/

Comment

We also had him at a 56:23 on Saturday IIRC. That's well above the speed too.

That finish on Sunday was wild. IMHO, a little too wild. Four planes crossing the line basically at the checkered flag, two leaders and two lappers. I assume Pete Z was taking into account the altitude limit but it made it look like he used the two lappers as a pick. That's an extreme negative thought on that situation though. So, 50ft min/250ft max limits. That's 50ft of space for each aircraft. Throw in the absurdity of the two speeds involved (both actuall and closing). If you're all the way outside, as you should be if you're overtaking, in order to have 50ft of lane to yourself everyone has to be well inside theirs. L39 has ~30ft wingspan, Vampire is ~40, that's 160, leaving 40ft to be split 4 ways. Yikes! I can't say I'm a fan of the max altitude limit. Thankfully race 8 backed out at the last second.

From the rule book-

Reasons for maneuvering above the maximum race altitude include, but are not limited to, the following: maneuvering out of jet/prop wash or wake turbulence; as required for safe passing due to an unforeseen change in position of the aircraft being passed; or a momentary loss of situation awareness. In the interest of safety, such altitude deviations without penalty are authorized followed by a safe return to the race course. A planned excursion above the maximum altitude solely for the purpose of passing is not acceptable.
          You'll get your chance, smart guy!

Comment

Originally posted by Fence Sence View Post
            That finish on Sunday was wild. IMHO, a little too wild.
            I agree. I like the jets but they've always made me a little nervous since I saw the jet accident in 2007? Same kind of deal a bunch of jets coming around the last corner all together. The timing of the pass this year couldn't have happened in a worse location. But what can you really do? You got two guys fighting for the Gold and who knows where the passes are going to end up.

I guess I really don't know how close they really were on the final corner, as the distance is tough to judge from Section 3.

Does race control talk to the slow guys and let them know they're about to be passed?
            Last edited by boom3; 09-22-2015, 02:45 PM.
            Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by boom3 View Post
              I agree. I like the jets but they've always made me a little nervous since I saw the jet accident in 2007? Same kind of deal a bunch of jets coming around the last corner all together. The timing of the pass this year couldn't have happened in a worse location. But what can you really do? You got two guys fighting for the Gold and who knows where the passes are going to end up.

I guess I really don't know how close they really were on the final corner, as the distance is tough to judge from Section 3.

Does race control talk to the slow guys and let them know they're about to be passed?
              I sure would like to see some cockpit footage to see how close it a really was.

So far as I know, it's up to the racers and their crews to talk to each other. You generally hear the pilots call to one another over race control when passing.
              You'll get your chance, smart guy!

Comment

Is there a penalty for exceeding 515?

Jarrod

Comment

Originally posted by jarrodeu View Post
                  Is there a penalty for exceeding 515?

Jarrod
                  Not from the Pylon Judges. That's a call for Timing and Contest. Race Control does advise "Race #_, check speed" during the race and so far as I can recall (which is always dangerous!), I don't believe a racer has been penalized for exceeding the limit as they always respond to that call by slowing, if only slightly. That said, there are provisions for penalizing a racer for reckless or dangerous flying, not conforming to FAA rules, etc. The classic catch-all...
                  Owen Ashurst
                  Performer Air Boss - Reno Air Races
                  http://airbossone.com/

Comment

And the reason for the speed limit is........?

If an unlimited ever gets to 515, will they receive the same "check speed" call?

Thanks,
                    TJS

Comment

Originally posted by Air Judge View Post
                      Not from the Pylon Judges. That's a call for Timing and Contest. Race Control does advise "Race #_, check speed" during the race and so far as I can recall (which is always dangerous!), I don't believe a racer has been penalized for exceeding the limit as they always respond to that call by slowing, if only slightly. That said, there are provisions for penalizing a racer for reckless or dangerous flying, not conforming to FAA rules, etc. The classic catch-all...
                      Is the 515mph maximum on the course or maximum average on the course (I/2 lap at 530mph with 1/2 lap at 500mph = 515mph average)?
                      Last edited by SkyvanDelta; 09-25-2015, 03:08 PM.

Comment

If there is a speed limit, it's not racing but rather something similar to synchronized swimming, drifting, or rhythmic gymnastics.

Comment

Working...
                        X