No announcement yet.

So why did Voodoo Pull out of the race?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: So why did Voodoo Pull out of the race?

Originally posted by Mluvara View Post
    My preference is to change one thing at a time and measure its effect. The numerous changes this year led me to staring at data in the hotel room for hours on end. Very difficult to tell what did what. The program was taken a different direction this year and I think the results speak for themselves.

Michael
    I really appreciate your honesty, the videos, and other info you post. One change at a time always makes sense. Did the crewmenbers on your team who are intimately familiar with the performance of Strega feel Voodoo couldn't match her speed when she was at her best? Seems like you were pretty close last year. Or is the idea to get way beyond that?

Comment

I have no idea what was done to Voodoo during the off season. I did see it at Chino and it was completely apart. One item at a time sounds like a good idea, but might not be realistic when talking $$$ Are you going to take the airplane apart each time you want to tweak something............in reality this is not always an option.
      Brian

Comment

I know from experience that you could daily flights to power and everything is golden then as soon as you arrive at Stead things go to sh**. Even worse when you are crunched for time.

I have to hand it to Voodoo for their constant attempts at improvement. The expenditures for little or no return is greatly appreciated.

Here's to seeing you in 2016

Comment

My preference is to change one thing at a time and measure its effect. The numerous changes this year led me to staring at data in the hotel room for hours on end. Very difficult to tell what did what. The program was taken a different direction this year and I think the results speak for themselves.

Michael
          When MAII was under development, Bill Rogers explained the process quite well. He said that if you do more than one or a few mods, how do you tell which one worked, and how it worked?

The way it turned out in this case was a complete benefit to the sport! We have a nationally recognized Shuttle Commander who is now the champion of the world's fastest motorsport..

Hopefully some good national ink over it..

Note to CNN (&other networks)... we don't need to see the SAME STORY OVER AND OVER ALL DAY... how bout a reporter there who watches the net and comments on things like this race and the significance of what our astronauts do later in life??

If they made mention, my apology!
          Wayne Sagar
          "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Michael
            All the modifications were test proven for years now on Strega and Dago. Why slower? Better look at the motor pumping oil overboard. You could see it on every lap and it also ended up on everyone behind. No its fare to say they were seriously down on Horsepower. They are a smart bunch. They will figure it out and will certainly be in the hunt next year. If it were easy they would call it winning not racing.

Comment

Originally posted by Reever View Post
              Sigfried and Roy come to mind.
              Stevo has had a lot of "looks" over the years, I'd have to dig through my archives to illustrate the process but it's probably important to think of Steve as an actor since, I believe, part of his income is derived from flying for the movie industry... maybe the hair is for a part??
              Wayne Sagar
              "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Jackson View Post
                All the modifications were test proven for years now on Strega and Dago. Why slower? Better look at the motor pumping oil overboard. You could see it on every lap and it also ended up on everyone behind. No its fare to say they were seriously down on Horsepower. They are a smart bunch. They will figure it out and will certainly be in the hunt next year. If it were easy they would call it winning not racing.
                Air Racing:

Simple

Cheap

and Easy................

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Jackson View Post
                  Looks can be deceiving. There were numerous things changed that were not tried and true. Some of them are new; never before tried. The scoop system was not a direct copy.

I'm sure the oil pumping didn't help things and it's being looked at.

Michael

Comment

Originally posted by Rampman View Post
                    I really appreciate your honesty, the videos, and other info you post. One change at a time always makes sense. Did the crewmenbers on your team who are intimately familiar with the performance of Strega feel Voodoo couldn't match her speed when she was at her best? Seems like you were pretty close last year. Or is the idea to get way beyond that?
                    The idea is always to improve. To be honest, I was disconnected from the aircraft this year until it arrived in Yolo for reassembly. I do not know all the details and 'whys' of what was done. I know that the airplane needed some things addressed, which required it coming apart to some manner. A lot of the mods could have been done incrementally, as they did not require the airplane coming apart, but some required it coming apart.

Michael

Comment

Originally posted by omalley1537 View Post
                      Guessing you're not at liberty to discuss this, but as a layman/fan/low time private pilot with a good bit of motorsports experience on motorcycles, it appeared like Stevo wasn't comfortable with the way the plane was flying. He is normally one of he more consistent pilots with regard to the race line, altitude, etc and it just looked really similar to (in terms I'm familiar with) me struggling to run race pace on an ill-handling bike. Please feel free to correct me if that's off base, and not in any way trying to criticize the team- just know there were significant changes this year.
                      He did not indicate that it handled oddly. Stevo has usually been out in front, so I'm sure it was a humbling experience to be in other's wake. Perhaps he was trying to stay out of it.

Comment

He did not indicate that it handled oddly. Stevo has usually been out in front, so I'm sure it was a humbling experience to be in other's wake. Perhaps he was trying to stay out of it.
                        If I´m not wrong the engine line of thrust was tilted to be in coincidence with the airflow, and I wonder how does it performed. I don´t know if you can answer to my doubt, never mind.

Comment

One thing I noticed this year that I don't remember seeing is the large amount of dark/black smoke when Im assuming power is applied coming down the shoot. I wonder if that has something to do with the power issue..or could there be a oil leak(also could explain the external oil) in the prop pitch section? im not exactly how those work but I thought I remember reading somewhere that the increase pitch with more oil pressure, so less oil pressure=less pitch. correct me if im wrong..

Comment

My understanding from talking to the crew was that the wing, horizontal stab and engine thrustline are all aligned to the centerline of the airplane, which achieved the desired result of reducing pitch trim changes with power changes.

Comment

Originally posted by Hawker Driver View Post
                              Do we have a picture of said hair style??

Thanks
                              The answer my friend, is blowin' in the wind....the answer is blowin' in the wind.
                              Attached Files

Comment

IMHO Steven Hinton Jr. can wear his hair anyway he likes. Why should you guys even care! Give it a rest.
                                "And if they stare, just let them burn their eyes on your moving."

Comment

Working...
                                X