No announcement yet.

So why did Voodoo Pull out of the race?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So why did Voodoo Pull out of the race?

Why did Voodoo pull out?

Re: So why did Voodoo Pull out of the race?

Unlimited Gold Details
    remember the Oogahonk!

old school enthusiast of Civiltary Warbirds and Air Racers

Comment

They didn't factor the inverse trigonometric load coefficient of the turbo encapulator correctly.

Comment

Somebody's hair band broke?
        Random Air Blog

Comment

Somebody's hair band broke?
          Thats hilarious!

I think Stevo is a great pilot, but the Thor haircut sure isnt great!

Comment

Originally posted by supercub View Post
            Why did Voodoo pull out?
            Ran out of water, they had a leak in the water header tank. I would assume it will be moved back for next year,

Comment

They had a leak earlier in the week, I understand it was welded up. That's to bad another leak showed up. Can't wait till next year.

Comment

Originally posted by Airrace7 View Post
                Ran out of water, they had a leak in the water header tank. I would assume it will be moved back for next year,

Did not run out of water. Coolant was low because of the leak in the coolant header tank, but we never ran out of fluids. I don't know if the crew figured anything out, but Stevo said he felt the engine thumping a bit and pulled the power off. He had power all the way to the ground and the screens showed no signs of metal.

Comment

It was exciting to see all of the work done to Voodoo in prep for 2015. Crews putting effort into racers in the off season is a primary indicator to me that the races are healthy.

I am curious what the data says about the changes. There were apparently prop mods, scoop mods, and "other" mods.
                  Without the benefit of lap by lap telemetry it is impossible to accurately determine from a fan standpoint how the changes worked out. However looking at the overall speeds posted by Voodoo from the past three years it is clear they were down on speed.

2013, Qualified at 491, fastest race was 487 average.
                  2014, Qualified at 479, fastest race was 492 average. (Saturday with Tiger)
                  2015, Qualified at 464, fastest race was 475 average.

True Qual speeds this year were down due to weather. I really thought Voodoo was just going easy until Sunday. However, despite a hard charge in lap 1 they were dropping back even before the coolant tank began to leak. I am not sure the reason will ever be disclosed but something was missing. Was it aero, prop, or horsepower related I wonder? Whatever the reason I am confidant they will be back with more speed in 2016. Thanks for the pictures and commentary Michael. Not sure if you are at liberty answer any of this, but it sure is interesting.
                  Last edited by glider90; 09-22-2015, 06:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by glider90 View Post
                    It was exciting to see all of the work done to Voodoo in prep for 2015. Crews putting effort into racers in the off season is a primary indicator to me that the races are healthy.

I am curious what the data says about the changes. There were apparently prop mods, scoop mods, and "other" mods.
                    Without the benefit of lap by lap telemetry it is impossible to accurately determine from a fan standpoint how the changes worked out. However looking at the overall speeds posted by Voodoo from the past three years it is clear they were down on speed.

2013, Qualified at 491, fastest race was 487 average.
                    2014, Qualified at 479, fastest race was 492 average. (Saturday with Tiger)
                    2015, Qualified at 464, fastest race was 475 average.

True Qual speeds this year were down due to weather. I really thought Voodoo was just going easy until Sunday. However, despite a hard charge in lap 1 they were dropping back even before the coolant tank began to leak. I am not sure the reason will ever be disclosed but something was missing. Was it aero, prop, or horsepower related I wonder? Whatever the reason I am confidant they will be back with more speed in 2016. Thanks for the pictures and commentary Michael. Not sure if you are at liberty answer any of this, but it sure is interesting.

My preference is to change one thing at a time and measure its effect. The numerous changes this year led me to staring at data in the hotel room for hours on end. Very difficult to tell what did what. The program was taken a different direction this year and I think the results speak for themselves.

Michael
                    Last edited by Mluvara; 09-22-2015, 08:26 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mluvara View Post
                      My preference is to change one thing at a time and measure its effect. The numerous changes this year led me to staring at data in the hotel room for hours on end. Very difficult to tell what did what. The program was taken a different direction this year and I think the results speak for themselves.

Michael
                      Guessing you're not at liberty to discuss this, but as a layman/fan/low time private pilot with a good bit of motorsports experience on motorcycles, it appeared like Stevo wasn't comfortable with the way the plane was flying. He is normally one of he more consistent pilots with regard to the race line, altitude, etc and it just looked really similar to (in terms I'm familiar with) me struggling to run race pace on an ill-handling bike. Please feel free to correct me if that's off base, and not in any way trying to criticize the team- just know there were significant changes this year.

Comment

Originally posted by rchevyman View Post
                        Thats hilarious!

I think Stevo is a great pilot, but the Thor haircut sure isnt great!
                        Do we have a picture of said hair style??

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Airrace7 View Post
                          They didn't completely run out of water. The level was just at the point to get the airplane down with not over heating the motor.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	stevo.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	228030

Comment

Sigfried and Roy come to mind.

Comment

Working...
                              X