Reno 2015 Gold Video

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Reno 2015 Gold Video

I can understand a full field in the Gold on Sunday... It does make things a bit interesting.. Plus, if the top 3-4 aircraft break, or cut deadlines/pylons, it allows someone else to take the victory.

However, there should be a division made, to where a fast aircraft that didn't qualify, would not be forced to run laps around the low 300's guys.

- Joseph

Comment

Originally posted by cheapskater View Post
      Two unlimited races per day with 100mph speed differences between the "runners" and the "racers" in the same race no longer makes any sense. Dreadnought cruising along at 426 doesn't make much sense. Bring back bronze, silver and gold races each day and put the 3 or 4 fastest planes in the Gold race. Make them work for a win in each category by going fast. That is what racing is supposed to be all about. Otherwise it is just a parade. Have to adjust for the limited unlimited turnout the best way possible.
      I think the only way to have a race as you envision (with constant position changes) would be two or three lap sprints. Part of the name of the game is longevity.
      Last edited by hm66sk; 09-26-2015, 10:42 AM.
      "And if they stare, just let them burn their eyes on your moving."

Comment

Originally posted by hm66sk View Post
        Hmmm. Maybe you missed the "Super Gold Shootout" debacle of '94?
        Oh does that bring back bad memories. Just say you have the three fastest in a "gold shootout" for Sundays final race, and two have mechanical issues, which is not unusual.

Comment

Yup, I missed 94 because of my job, sigh. Seems to me that the super gold racers decided in advance who would win or something like that. Wasn't a particularly fast gold race or super gold that year. Just the same if teams and racers are getting paid to just show up as has been rumored for some time perhaps restoring a little competition into the mix would be a good thing. On the other hand I remember a gold heat from 1987 or 88 where 6 out of the 8 planes maydayed during the heat or during cool down and Hoover had to buzz a fuel truck off of a runway to just get everyone down safely. It was the race where Tsunami collapsed its gear during rollout.

Comment

Originally posted by SkyvanDelta View Post
            They need to get the slower racers off the course. Once the fastet plane catches them, they are a hazard, they can slow the fastest racers down and can cause an unnecessary change in positions in the fastest racers. Get them off the course and allow the fastest to compete without clutter on the course.
            I'm guessing you missed the year they did the super gold.
            Bill Garnett
            InterstellarDust
            Air Race Fanatic since 1965

Comment

Originally posted by Bill@Interstell View Post
              I'm guessing you missed the year they did the super gold.
              Speculation is SkyvanDelta has never been to the races.

Jarrod

Comment

Working...
              X