Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How about a racing class for planes like these.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How about a racing class for planes like these.....

I'm sure the manufacturers have deep enough pockets and a race victory could very well be great advertising.

Re: How about a racing class for planes like these.....

nice idea,but I don't think there is much intrest in a turboprop class.

Comment

Interesting idea, but there's a big difference in performance (speed) amongst the turboprop trainers. Also, Pilatus' newest is quite pricey.

Comment

I debated whether or not to respond but.....as someone who has a lot of PT-6A time, I can say there is nothing--zero--exciting about flying one of these, except reliability. And as someone who has survived the 'turbine revolution' in unlimited hydroplane racing up close and personal, I would say that aside from that reliability, there is nothing--zero--to gain from racing a turboprop plane.

Just my .02 cents.

Comment

I've always been very much against a turboprop class but for some reason (late night?) it sounds more interesting.

Turboprops like the PT-6 just run so the results would purely be a result of pilot skill and aerodynamics. If the plane was some standard configuration with no modifications you could eliminate the aerodynamics variable and it would all be pilot skill. It would make for much closer racing and a full field could produce a lot of passing. As it is now we only have 2-3 unlimiteds who have a real chance of taking home the gold and by Sunday it will be down to 1-2 if we're lucky.

Not saying it would be good or bad but just different.

Comment

Originally posted by Mustang1957 View Post
            nice idea,but I don't think there is much intrest in a turboprop class.
            Hummn... might want to talk to some ag pilots about that....
            Wayne Sagar
            "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by bflynt View Post
              the plane was some standard configuration with no modifications you could eliminate the aerodynamics variable and it would all be pilot skill. It would make for much closer racing
              Isn't that the T-6 class?

Comment

Originally posted by Big_Jim View Post
                Isn't that the T-6 class?
                Yah but those are all bone stock..................

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisMX105 View Post
                  ...and they sound cool

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisMX105 View Post
                    Sure they are..."stock like Grandma Moses in a bikini". (Quote stolen from Smokey Yunick without permission).

Comment

Some seem pretty fast and a deep pockets manufacturer would surely work on making thiers faster.

Comment

We need a Yak-52 Class.

Probably use the Biplane Course since they are not particularly fast but the noise would be glorious and could be like a low rent T-6 Class.

I'd bring mine!

'Gimp
                        sigpic
                        1987 Yakovlev Yak-52
                        Comm-Instr, High-Perf/Complex, TW

Comment

Several car manufactures are 'enhancing' the engine sound through the cars stereo systems, maybe the same could be done to the PT-6 with a couple of loud speakers hidden somewhere on the fuselage blaring sweet merlin noises? I know they have the dvd's for sale in the concession stands that would work ... just a thought ...
                          1960 Piper Comanche

Comment

Originally posted by comancheflyer View Post
                            Several car manufactures are 'enhancing' the engine sound through the cars stereo systems, maybe the same could be done to the PT-6 with a couple of loud speakers hidden somewhere on the fuselage blaring sweet merlin noises? I know they have the dvd's for sale in the concession stands that would work ... just a thought ...
                            I wonder how big the subwoofer that could imitate the bear with the three blade when it was running well would be? Not to mention the weight of the amplifiers required. There's videos of people blowing the windows out of their cars with their sound systems so I suppose it's possible.

Comment

Originally posted by IcePaq View Post
                              Some seem pretty fast and a deep pockets manufacturer would surely work on making thiers faster.

Too fast and economical. Jet business would not like it.

Low flying Mustang is faster than these..on ½ hr long trips.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X