Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Precious Metal Race 38 catches fire enroute to Reno. Out for the 2015 season.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Precious Metal Race 38 catches fire enroute to Reno. Out for the 2015 season.

Since this is not clearly stated in any of the thread headers, I thought it would make sense to say it clearly.

On Sept 8, 2015, while enroute to the Reno Air Races and on the ground, Precious Metal caught fire in the engine area and suffered moderate-major fire damage which will put it out of racing for the 2015 Reno Air Races.

"Richard, of Kissimmee, Fla., had stopped to refuel the modified P-51 Mustang at Marianna Municipal Airport in Jackson County, Fla., when the fire occurred."

"Richard shut down the engine and got out safely. The airplane may be in good enough condition to return to the skies at some point. However, according to Richard the damage was too severe for a return racing."

2 threads have been started on it:

All Air Racing All the time! Unregistered visitors: this forum is open for your reading enjoyment. We invite you to join so you can enjoy the full features of this system. Including file uploads, event calender, private messages and more. Due to an unmanageable amount of SPAM membership applications, the join process is a few step process. It all makes it secure!

http://www.aafo.com/hangartalk/showt...-Richard-is-ok!!!!!!

Story and photos here:

While on a fuel stop on the morning of September 8th, the Reno Air Racer "Precious Metal", a heavily modified P-51 Mustang, was heavily damaged in a ground fire. The pilot escaped without injury but the aircraft is being described as a total loss. A post by the Precious Metal Air Racing Fan Page rea

Precious Metal, one of the most popular planes at the Reno National Championship Air Races, will not be competing this year.

The National Championship Air Races are set to begin next week and race airplanes are making their way to the Reno Stead Airport northwest of Reno, Nevada. Veteran racer Thom Richard, who started racing in Reno in the Formula One Class in 2007 and has been racing the Unlimited Class airplane Precious Metal since 2011, … Continued

Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Preci...71055266243368

Text from the Pilot:

Dear Race Fans,

It's with a heavy heart I am forced to announce the end of Precious Metal's air racing career. She sustained heavy damage in a ground fire at a fuel stop this afternoon.

The aircraft was running fine and I was taxying out of the chocks after fueling up, a gentleman came running and signaled me to shut down. I had no idea I was on fire until he alerted me as it was under the airplane. By the time I came to a stop the flames were reaching the cockpit on the left side and I abandoned ship. There was no time to attempt fighting the fire as we feared an imminent explosion with 190 gallons of fuel onboard.

The fire department showed up after about 12 minutes and took 20 minutes to put the flames out with foam. But the damage was done. The aircraft is intact, but sustained heavy damage.

Thank you for all the support over the years, you are the best fans.

Thom Richard
    Last edited by SkyvanDelta; 09-09-2015, 09:00 PM.

Re: Precious Metal Race 38 catches fire enroute to Reno. Out for the 2015 season.

from the RG-J
    .....Richard, of Kissimmee, Fla., had stopped to refuel the modified P-51 Mustang at Marianna Municipal Airport in Jackson County, Fla., when the fire occurred.
    remember the Oogahonk!

old school enthusiast of Civiltary Warbirds and Air Racers

Comment

Re: Precious Metal Race 38 catches fire enroute to Reno. Out for the 2015 season.

What's the plan to get it back to its home airport?

Remove the entire wing, put it on a flat bed trailer and tow it home?

Remove the outer area of the wing sections, put it on a flat bed trailer and tow it home?

Have a helicopter pick it up in one piece and fly it home?

Repair it where it is now, then fly it home?
      Last edited by SkyvanDelta; 09-09-2015, 09:45 PM.

Comment

There for sure won't be any flying it home.

Comment

Originally posted by SkyvanDelta View Post
          What's the plan to get it back to its home airport?

Remove the entire wing, put it on a flat bed trailer and tow it home?

Remove the outer area of the wing sections, put it on a flat bed trailer and tow it home?

Have a helicopter pick it up in one piece and fly it home?

Repair it where it is now, then fly it home?
          Everything is still pending at this time. Thom has been working on all the details and will make an announcement once anything at all has been finalized.

Comment

Working...
          X