Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Precious Metal Down, Pilot Safe!: Thom Richard comments on the future of Precious M

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Thomas Richard is ok!!!!!!

As soon as I'm on a secure connection, I'll be "in."

ALL my merchandise money will go to PM this year. And the next. And the next...

Comment

Funded, and bought a hat, and will buy a shirt when I get to Reno. Lets get this bird back in the air ASAP!

Will

Comment

The whole family is bummed... Got a square and will hit the swag at Stead!
        JoeV

Comment

Originally posted by LoveOldPlanes View Post
          Last year a Precious Metal team member made hand-made custom plaques with race run spark plugs and a piece of sheet metal from Precious. There was an unreleased photo on the plaque of the aircraft in flight. They were limited edition, signed and numbered by Thom. They took a huge amount of personal effort to make and it looked outstanding. I believe there were around 40 made. There was a raffle for folks who wanted to try and win one......

....I think we sold ONE.

They are even on the webpage for sale at https://squareup.com/market/AirRaceTeam

I am hoping that this year they will sell out....
          I'm thinking (hoping) this year will be different. Those plaques are super cool and for sure a piece of history of the sport. Wish I could afford one. They offer a fine presentation but it comes at a price. They're time and labor intensive to produce. I was thinking more along the lines of raw parts and pieces with maybe a simple hand written manila tag having Thoms signature and a "Race 38", "PM", "Precious Metal" , whatever. One could even put a description on there of where and what it was used for on the aircraft. Tags could as simple or as detailed as you like or no tag at all. I think if someone could pick up a spark plug for say $2-5.00, piston for $20-30.00 (I don't know), you get the idea.
          What do you think ?
          Last edited by hm66sk; 09-11-2015, 04:47 PM. Reason: had another tbought
          "And if they stare, just let them burn their eyes on your moving."

Comment

Originally posted by hm66sk View Post
            I'm thinking (hoping) this year will be different. Those plaques are super cool and for sure a piece of history of the sport. Wish I could afford one. They offer a fine presentation but it comes at a price. They're time and labor intensive to produce. I was thinking more along the lines of raw parts and pieces with maybe a simple hand written manila tag having Thoms signature and a "Race 38", "PM", "Precious Metal" , whatever. One could even put a description on there of where and what it was used for on the aircraft. Tags could as simple or as detailed as you like or no tag at all. I think if someone could pick up a spark plug for say $2-5.00, piston for $20-30.00 (I don't know), you get the idea.
            What do you think ?
            That's what I had in mind and compares to prices of the drag race guy. Nothing fancy. Maybe 5-10 bucks for a spark plug, tagged. Amounts where somebody wouldn't have to ask the misses if it was ok. Lol! Impulse buy prices. More for historical parts that helped determine a race, like Matt Jackson's failed lifter/tower, or even scraps of the failed canopy in the long run? Unless of course a member of the team collects that stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Curt_B View Post
              Amounts where somebody wouldn't have to ask the misses if it was ok. Lol! Impulse buy prices.
              Absolutely what I was thinking. Pocket money prices.

Matt Jackson's failed lifter/tower, or even scraps of the failed canopy in the long run?.
              That stuff should be in a museum!
              Last edited by hm66sk; 09-11-2015, 05:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by hm66sk View Post
                Absolutely what I was thinking. Pocket money prices.

That stuff should be in a museum!
                I'm sure many others think this way! Could even set up tables with all of the other teams donated items, in PM's paid for pit, so they wouldn't have to fool with it during race week. Like a rummage sale. And the NBC guys would show that air racing, and racers, are... different, an possibly attract even more outsiders.

Every year is history in the making out there, and this would be a way for the fans to capture, and preserve, it.

Comment

I'm sure many others think this way! Could even set up tables with all of the other teams donated items, in PM's paid for pit, so they wouldn't have to fool with it during race week. Like a rummage sale. And the NBC guys would show that air racing, and racers, are... different, an possibly attract even more outsiders.

Every year is history in the making out there, and this would be a way for the fans to capture, and preserve, it.
                  This idea just keeps sounding better and better. Definitely need that "Hell yeah, I'll take that." price structure. The "swap meet" feel could be really fun too. I'd like to be first to volunteer to run the tables. Probably could use the help of a nice looking young lady too!
                  Last edited by hm66sk; 09-11-2015, 06:39 PM.

Comment

Re: Precious Metal Down, Pilot Safe!: Thom Richard comments on the future of Precious

Several years back I bought a spark plug that had been run in DAGO RED!
                    I think I forked over $10 for it.
                    We Air Race fans are NUTZ!

Comment

Re: Precious Metal Down, Pilot Safe!: Thom Richard comments on the future of Precious

Maybe RARA could wave their cut of the action to help get PM back in the air. Wouldn't hurt to ask.

Comment

Originally posted by Skyracer View Post
                        Maybe RARA could wave their cut of the action to help get PM back in the air. Wouldn't hurt to ask.
                        RARA will say not just no, but Hell no! How do I know? We asked years ago. The best idea we were offered ( NOT BY RARA) was the bar on the way into the field allowed us to sell "Lyle Shelton's Rare Bear™" items in their location offsite to the event. The bar got increased traffic in return.
                        John Slack

Comment

Originally posted by Skyracer View Post
                          They did for all the teams I last year if I remember right.

Comment

Originally posted by BellCobraIV View Post
                            RARA will say not just no, but Hell no!
                            I'm not into the politics out there, but hasn't there been a changing of the guard and NBc's invited in and things.

i know when I'm undecided about going to Sun N Fun over here, I'll remember the Fly Mart and say, 'Oh Yea'. Lol! T shirts and mugs are nice and all, but guys want... stuff! Maybe this could be an ongoing thing if it gets started and become another attraction! I'd buy a piston with a valve stuck in it, especially if that determined a race, and the may day worked out ok. These things might even be worth some money later if the races are ever ended... it's history. I mean, who wouldn't want that Dago spark plug for example, now that Dago's not around anymore.
                            Last edited by Curt_B; 09-12-2015, 06:12 PM.

Comment

I'm not into the politics either, but as has been said "It never hurts to ask". I'm still kicking myself for not asking J.R. about the possibility of procuring a burned up piston during the attempted record attempt. I couldn't bring myself to do it at the time. He (and Sam) just looked too dejected during that streak of bad luck there in Wendover.
                              Its nice to hear your responses and excitement about these old parts. Maybe I'm not the only one with an Allison shrine after all.
                              Last edited by hm66sk; 09-13-2015, 01:22 PM.

Comment

living on the east coast,I can't make the races,but would like to buy a tee shirt or two.yesterday was on the team website and when I clicked on the store button it said page not available.

Comment

Working...
                                X