Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Precious Metal Down, Pilot Safe!: Thom Richard comments on the future of Precious M

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Thomas Richard is ok!!!!!!

Originally posted by Curt_B View Post
    A guy was selling discarded parts at the Southern Nationals one year. How about all the teams donate their throwaways, spark plugs, pistons, parts with paint..., with letters of authenticity, signed by their pilot, to the cause. The fans would get cool conversation starter desk items, and have the chance to buy more, multiplying the 50,000. Would be a cool gesture and remind everybody we're all in this together, fans and competitors alike. .
    Often wondered why the teams don't do this. I sure everything or anything offered would be snatched up.
    "And if they stare, just let them burn their eyes on your moving."

Comment

With all the setbacks this team has had I would not blame Thom for saying enough is enough. Between DQ' in 2014 the lost gear door in 2012, and the race cancellations in 2010 and 2011 Thom only has a 5th place finish to show for five years of major effort. I am not blaming him or the crew for that, it is just how things have lined up for him.

Remember how long Button campaigned Voodoo with nothing to show for it? The "family sacrifice must end, for sale or trade" sign? Despite 'quitting' several times Bob finally broke through and and he is finally getting his efforts rewarded. I am sure he will never recoup the money invested, but at least there is some real satisfaction with what they are doing.

After all Thom and his crew have endured, and since he is having a great time racing his sweet little F1, at what point does any sane individual decide "the juice isn't worth the squeeze"? I know I wish he and about twelve more people than currently are felt differently, but it is a very demanding activity for the return. I bet Hot Stuff is a blast to race, and the total budget for that program has to be a fraction of the PM costs.

I had this all reasoned in my head so that I could accept something did not like. It sounds like there may be a glimmer of hope that Thom and the crew are already having second thoughts. The heart of a true racer is much the same as a volunteer. The text below is from another forum, someone close to the team.

"Well after a few detailed shots of her from Thom and Brenden after they got back this evening. No doubt, it is a nightmare with the burned hoses, wire, twisted, and warped aluminum everywhere. There is a small glimmer of hope, but it is dependent if the airframe is worth saving. After Reno, the engine will have to be removed, and one of the Teeters family from Cal Pacific Airmotive with have to look at the airframe.

If you had enough money, Cal Pacific Airmotive can build you a brand new P-51, but it will definitely cost more than what P-51s are going for today

Yes, there was insurance, but unlike cars....you pick how much you insure the airframe for. It is a fine line to dance on.

Thom has a really neat idea about fundraising for the long, and expensive task of a rebuild. What he proposes will truly makes this the "People's Air Racer".
      He hopes to have this idea ready to launch by Reno, so I will keep everyone informed.

As for shirts....we will be selling the Precious Metal shirts and other merchandise in the pits this year. The majority of the crew will be out there since RARA is paid and we still have a pit. Hot Stuff shirts are not out yet, but may be in the future.

So things look a little brighter, but we will need a lot of time, and a lot of money to make this happen again."
      Last edited by glider90; 09-10-2015, 10:12 AM. Reason: typos

Comment

T-shirts yes, yes, yes.

I was hoping they would be on sale here. I have 4 well worn PM Tees. Yellow, Purple and Blue. Today I am wearing my yellow shirt.

I'll be in line to buy more.

Comment

Originally posted by hm66sk View Post
          Often wondered why the teams don't do this. I sure everything or anything offered would be snatched up.
          Last year a Precious Metal team member made hand-made custom plaques with race run spark plugs and a piece of sheet metal from Precious. There was an unreleased photo on the plaque of the aircraft in flight. They were limited edition, signed and numbered by Thom. They took a huge amount of personal effort to make and it looked outstanding. I believe there were around 40 made. There was a raffle for folks who wanted to try and win one......

....I think we sold ONE.

They are even on the webpage for sale at https://squareup.com/market/AirRaceTeam

I am hoping that this year they will sell out....

Comment

i bought it! ;-)
            Todd Smith

Comment

I went looking at T-shirts and couldn't help but notice this: https://squareup.com/market/AirRaceT...oject-fan-fund

Hm...That or a spark plug plaque?

Comment

Originally posted by LoveOldPlanes View Post
                Last year a Precious Metal team member made hand-made custom plaques with race run spark plugs and a piece of sheet metal from Precious. There was an unreleased photo on the plaque of the aircraft in flight. They were limited edition, signed and numbered by Thom. They took a huge amount of personal effort to make and it looked outstanding. I believe there were around 40 made. There was a raffle for folks who wanted to try and win one......

....I think we sold ONE.

They are even on the webpage for sale at https://squareup.com/market/AirRaceTeam

I am hoping that this year they will sell out....
                Hey.... A really cool idea just showed up on the Precious Metal merchandise site Now we're talking

Comment

Originally posted by N22252 View Post
                  Hey.... A really cool idea just showed up on the Precious Metal merchandise site Now we're talking

Actually, the team member who made them...Scott S also fabricated a rotating engine stand for the Griffon. Now, instead of forcing the smallest team member to lay under the engine and torque things, we can rotate it much like the factory cradles that Rolls Royce had. So many of our team are just way too talented....!!

Comment

I'm in too.

Originally posted by bulldawg66 View Post
                    Donate, donate, donate! I'm in, Thom. I need a new shirt, and you can have whatever cash I have when I get to Reno. I'll be bringing the family to Orlando in a few months, and we're coming to see you first, rather than the Mouse!

Unlimited power forever!

Comment

I'm glad no one was hurt, but I'm a little puzzled as to why a determination was made so quickly to never race PM again. Though I'm sure the damage is worse than it looks, it certainly looks like it could be fully repaired back to racing condition...

Comment

Dear Race Fans,

Precious Metal is more than an airplane; she's larger than life. You have all proven it since our ground fire incident mere hours ago. The groundswell of support is humbling. So what are our options? We could throw in the towel and move on from this tragic chapter and leave the world wondering what could have been.

Or...

We could, in true Team Precious Metal fashion, NEVER GIVE UP! Precious Metal does not deserve to be parted out and disappear into the history books as a failed attempt at the World's Fastest Motor Sport. She deserves to rise out of the ashes in true Phoenix fashion and prove her worth!

Everything is repairable; it's all a matter of capital. If we can raise the necessary funding to make this happen, she will race again!

Many things have to be repaired: wings, fuselage, engine, systems, cowling and last, but not least, her famous paint scheme. The Precious Metal program is run on countless hours of dedicated volunteers and a shoestring budget. This most recent set back is too much of a financial burden for the program to handle. As we know, a setback is just a setup for a comeback. Which brings us to our proposed solution. Here's Team Precious Metal's offer to you, our fans and supporters:

We will give you one square inch on Precious Metal for a donation of $50 towards our rebuild. We will fly your picture around the course embedded in our new paint scheme and you can be part of resurrecting one of the most iconic race planes is history.

Team Precious Metal will be in Reno this year. We will have our pit and sell our team gear. Chances are we'll provide some evening entertainment as well. Come see us there and purchase your squares!

There are several ways to support our cause: through our Precious Metal gear sales, our newly invented onboard picture program, or by supporting our sponsors and purchasing their products.

There's no limit as to how many square inches you can purchase, we'll just make your picture larger! Or submit pictures of friends, family, pets or whatever you desire. Precious Metal is the people's racer. And with your support she will growl around the course again!

Make your mark in air racing history here:

On a personal note, air racing has been the most rewarding experience I have ever had. Not in the form of trophies and bragging rights, but in the form of enthusiasm, excitement and dedication of the fans and crewmembers. It's been a magical life experience, which I've been very fortunate to be a part of. We, as a team, will do whatever it takes to keep the dream alive. Please join us in making history and carrying on the legacy of the World's Fastest Motor Sport!

Thank you for making it possible,

Thom Richard

Comment

know where my monthly drink money is going for the foreseeable future... pretty easy decision to make...!
                          Todd Smith

Comment

Let's make this happen!

Comment

Just bought a square (heck, I don't even care about putting anything on it) and a T-shirt.

Kudos to kicking this effort off. I'm now officially a die-hard PM fan (as if I wasn't already).

Once things get a bit more solidified, I'd sure be willing to kick in a larger sum to something like a Kickstarter campaign. I was very impressed with how the CAF's Kickstarter for buying and restoring "That's all, Brother" went. I don't honestly know how big the pool of potential contributors is, but there's one way to find out!

Comment

Originally posted by Thom Richard View Post
                                <snip>

Make your mark in air racing history here:

On a personal note, air racing has been the most rewarding experience I have ever had. Not in the form of trophies and bragging rights, but in the form of enthusiasm, excitement and dedication of the fans and crewmembers. It's been a magical life experience, which I've been very fortunate to be a part of. We, as a team, will do whatever it takes to keep the dream alive. Please join us in making history and carrying on the legacy of the World's Fastest Motor Sport!

Thank you for making it possible,

Thom Richard
                                SO happy to see you still have the fire IN YOU (not on the AIRPLANE!) I'm in for a couple squares, and any other help I can give you guys... free web space?? This server we have been sharing the expenses on (HUGE THANK YOU TO AAFO'ers) has room for anything you might need, does not cost a dime more each month for extra domains hosted on their own "Virtual Private Server" .... I'll do my best to beat the bushes and see what we can come up with. I think I bought you guys RACE38.COM a few years back and have "parked" it on the box...
                                Wayne Sagar
                                "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Working...
                                X