Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Precious Metal Down, Pilot Safe!: Thom Richard comments on the future of Precious M

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Thomas Richard is ok!!!!!!

Sorry Thom and team. What a massive bummer. I was so looking forward to this year for you guys. You certainly earned a trophy in everyone's eyes.
    You'll get your chance, smart guy!

Comment

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar View Post
      Two Words... FAN SPONSOR!

We'll spread the word in the pits, bring images that can be blown up to poster size put them in the pit, sell the hell out of shirts and put the donation bucket out... BIG photos are important, both of the airplane in flight at full beauty and as she sits...

If it's $$ that's gonna stop the PM effort, we can all sure as heck put in a few bucks and see what can be done.. PM for sure is now the people's airplane!

Go Team Precious Metal!!!!!!!!
      I like it, Wayne! Once I make it to the pits I'll be looking for T-shirts and that donation bucket

Comment

Anyone got about a half million they want to part with to fix the biggest pain in my ass? She's kinda bitchy, not very friendly, but she's REALLY sexy.

Comment

Originally posted by Wild Bill Kelso View Post
          Anyone got about a half million they want to part with to fix the biggest pain in my ass? She's kinda bitchy, not very friendly, but she's REALLY sexy.
          Converting to a radial??

Comment

If we could get 50,000 fans during race week to give just $10. Just think. I know I'll get in a share or two.

Brian

Comment

Originally posted by supercub View Post
              If we could get 50,000 fans during race week to give just $10. Just think. I know I'll get in a share or two.

Brian
              Anybody got Sally Struthers number?

Comment

So glad to hear that Thom is safe! I've been a fan of Race 38 for years and a lurker around here, but I felt the need to say something.

The loss of PM is sad in many ways. The loss of another Unlimited is terrible in itself, but I can't help but think of the impact it may have on the Races as a whole. The Unlimiteds are the heart and soul of Reno, and in recent years the PM team have, in a way, become the heart and soul of the Unlimited class. Though they have their favorites, everyone has become a PM fan. The grassroots, volunteer effort is relatable to all. Their active Facebook and Instagram pages connect with people completely outside of the air racing community, many of which are of the younger generation that are key to the continuation of the sport we love so much. PM and her crew were a glimmer of hope for the Races, and are an example of what it will take to pass on the tradition. Maybe I'm being a bit dramatic, but I'm afraid some of that hope may have been snuffed out today (no pun intended).

I know there is a lot that goes into making the decision to rebuild the plane or not, but what an opportunity to grow the fanbase. (Outside of the Reno community not many know about the Races aside from the tragedy of 2011.) Expand the grassroots effort and get more fan involvement. I'll be the first to volunteer! Start a GoFundMe page, spread the word on other racing/car/aviation/social media sites, sell T-shirts, stickers, etc. The more people (especially the younger generation) who have a vested interest in the sport the better off it will be!

Let's give it a shot Thom!

Comment

Originally posted by Wild Bill Kelso View Post
                  I'm sorry to hear about the terrible events, this is not the news any of us expected to read. I'm thankful Tom was safe and able to keep following his passion. I'm sure many of us would step up and donate to get PM back in the air. This should not be the end with your teams perseverance and determination as this is what air racing needs. I'd be more than happy to donate to the cause. You should start an online fund for folks to contribute to. I'd be happy to add to the pot or PM me and I'll meet you in Reno....she is pretty sexy and your team is the best!

Comment

Originally posted by Merlin1650 View Post
                    I know there is a lot that goes into making the decision to rebuild the plane or not, but what an opportunity to grow the fanbase. (Outside of the Reno community not many know about the Races aside from the tragedy of 2011.) Expand the grassroots effort and get more fan involvement. I'll be the first to volunteer! Start a GoFundMe page, spread the word on other racing/car/aviation/social media sites, sell T-shirts, stickers, etc. The more people (especially the younger generation) who have a vested interest in the sport the better off it will be!

Agreed. There's no doubt Thom and the rest of the team are still reeling from a roundhouse kick to the balls (how would that even work, anyway?), but there's a great opportunity here for a documentary and support from any motorhead that loves WWII aircraft and doesn't want to see them go away. I wish I had the connections, but just think of the exposure the races would get with even a one season docu-drama on History or Discovery Channel about the rebuilding of one of the most unique air racers in the sport today. I'll bet they could use a unique show to fill a time slot instead of playing reruns of the same 3 shows all week (it seems).

Hell, get in touch with THESE GUYS. We have a couple of their DVD's, and they're top notch stuff.

My son wants to fly in PM someday!

Comment

Originally posted by 1:1 Scale View Post
                      Agreed. There's no doubt Thom and the rest of the team are still reeling from a roundhouse kick to the balls (how would that even work, anyway?), but there's a great opportunity here for a documentary and support from any motorhead that loves WWII aircraft and doesn't want to see them go away. I wish I had the connections, but just think of the exposure the races would get with even a one season docu-drama on History or Discovery Channel about the rebuilding of one of the most unique air racers in the sport today. I'll bet they could use a unique show to fill a time slot instead of playing reruns of the same 3 shows all week (it seems).

Hell, get in touch with THESE GUYS. We have a couple of their DVD's, and they're top notch stuff.

My son wants to fly in PM someday!
                      No need for outside help, we've got three people as volunteers that have media backgrounds. Two are pro photographers and the subject has already been discussed before. There is already some legacy footage filmed from this last year. Hoping that if she is able to be saved we jump in filming during the recovery efforts just in case...

Comment

Originally posted by Merlin1650 View Post
                        So glad to hear that Thom is safe! I've been a fan of Race 38 for years and a lurker around here, but I felt the need to say something.

The loss of PM is sad in many ways. The loss of another Unlimited is terrible in itself, but I can't help but think of the impact it may have on the Races as a whole. The Unlimiteds are the heart and soul of Reno, and in recent years the PM team have, in a way, become the heart and soul of the Unlimited class. Though they have their favorites, everyone has become a PM fan. The grassroots, volunteer effort is relatable to all. Their active Facebook and Instagram pages connect with people completely outside of the air racing community, many of which are of the younger generation that are key to the continuation of the sport we love so much. PM and her crew were a glimmer of hope for the Races, and are an example of what it will take to pass on the tradition. Maybe I'm being a bit dramatic, but I'm afraid some of that hope may have been snuffed out today (no pun intended).

For a first post, well said. So sad, from the subject line You knew it was bad news. Great to hear Mr. Richard is unhurt. A real sucker punch to an already depleted field.
                        No pixels were harmed, honest.

http://www.ignomini.com
                        http://www.pbase.com/ignomini

Comment

Donate, donate, donate! I'm in, Thom. I need a new shirt, and you can have whatever cash I have when I get to Reno. I'll be bringing the family to Orlando in a few months, and we're coming to see you first, rather than the Mouse!

Unlimited power forever!

Comment

I am glad to hear Thom is OK, I am sad about Precious Metal. I think Thom Richard is the future of Unlimited Racing. I hope the plane returns to Reno to race in the future. Merlin 1650's post reflects how I feel.

Comment

While on a fuel stop on the morning of September 8th, the Reno Air Racer "Precious Metal", a heavily modified P-51 Mustang, was heavily damaged in a ground fire. The pilot escaped without injury but the aircraft is being described as a total loss. A post by the Precious Metal Air Racing Fan Page rea

remember the Oogahonk!

old school enthusiast of Civiltary Warbirds and Air Racers

Comment

Originally posted by supercub View Post

Brian
                                A guy was selling discarded parts at the Southern Nationals one year. How about all the teams donate their throwaways, spark plugs, pistons, parts with paint..., with letters of authenticity, signed by their pilot, to the cause. The fans would get cool conversation starter desk items, and have the chance to buy more, multiplying the 50,000. Would be a cool gesture and remind everybody we're all in this together, fans and competitors alike. Could even leverage that into publicity as one of those public interest stories at the end of the nightly news. Others would see the quality of the people attracted to airplanes and might want to join in, just to hang out. Just a thought anyway, to encourage Thom and company, and even get outsiders interested in aviation because of the people they'd get to associate with.

Comment

Working...
                                X