Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Precious Metal Down, Pilot Safe!: Thom Richard comments on the future of Precious M

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Precious Metal Down, Pilot Safe!: Thom Richard comments on the future of Precious M

Precious had a fuel fire on taxi out after a re fuel stop

Thom is fine!

51 is not

Saw it on the Precious face book page just now
    Last edited by De Camara; 09-08-2015, 02:02 PM.

Re: Thomas Richard is ok!!!!!!

From the FB page:

"Dear Race Fans,

It's with a heavy heart I am forced to announce the end of Precious Metal's air racing career. She sustained heavy damage in a ground fire at a fuel stop this afternoon.
    The aircraft was running fine and I was taxying out of the chocks after fueling up, a gentleman came running and signaled me to shut down. I had no idea I was on fire until he alerted me as it was under the airplane. By the time I came to a stop the flames were reaching the cockpit on the left side and I abandoned ship. There was no time to attempt fighting the fire as we feared an imminent explosion with 190 gallons of fuel onboard.
    The fire department showed up after about 12 minutes and took 20 minutes to put the flames out with foam. But the damage was done. The aircraft is intact, but sustained heavy damage.
    Thank you for all the support over the years, you are the best fans.

Thom Richard"
    "America is all about speed...hot, nasty, bada** speed."
    -Eleanor Roosevelt-

Comment

it's true.

Heartbreaking.

Comment

Pictures. Thank god Thom is OK!!!!

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.p...24360981037946

Comment

Seeing that statement on Facebook made my heart sink. So much time and effort they have put into that beautiful plane and it's all for nothing. I feel so bad for Thom and the team as they had a real hot rod this year. Overjoyed that Thom is ok and will be flying Hot Stuff next week. PM can possibly be rebuilt, but losing Thom would've been unbearable. It's a terrible situation, but it's good things happened the way that they did.

Congratulations PM team on all your successes these past couple of years, you will always be my favorite unlimited team and even though Thom said it's the end of PM, I hope that is not the case.

Safe travels to Reno Thom, you deserve a gold win in Hot Stuff
          Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Glad no one got hurt. My heart aches for Thom and the crew. I wonder if the crew will still show up? No reason to, other than the fans.

Comment

Sending prayers of thanks that Thom is healthy and well.

Since this feels like repeated punches to the gut to me, I can't imagine how Thom and team are feeling.

To Thom and entire PM team, thank you for everything you have done for us fans and the sport of air racing itself. Two summers ago I was visiting Florida from Colorado. I e-mailed Thom on a Sunday asking if we could make the hour drive to come check out PM. He replied within fifteen minutes and with that my brother, my son and I were on our way to Kissimmee. The museum wasn't open but he let us in as they were working on the plane. My boy (10 years old at the time) got to sit in the cockpit and take pictures with Thom. We stayed for about an hour while Thom went through the process of his propeller modifications and we gawked at all the amazing planes. Thom and crew didn't need to do any of that for us but that's just who they are. Even last year when I stopped by his pit he asked me how my boy is doing. How he remembers that is beyond me. I'm grateful to have seen the plane fly and been able to get to meet Thom, but I'm mostly grateful that I will have the opportunity to say hello to him again.

Thank you PM, thank you Thom and thank you crew.

Tyler Packard

Comment

Oh nooo!! Fortunatenaly you are OK.
                It´s very sad to see that PM won´t be on the Reno race course, I hope for a while. My prefered unlimited.
                Well Mr Thom Richard I expect you concentrate all your efforts on Hot Stuff. You are the One!
                Thank you for all you do for air racing.

Comment

Originally posted by knot4u View Post
                  Glad no one got hurt. My heart aches for Thom and the crew. I wonder if the crew will still show up? No reason to, other than the fans.
                  Right now word is spreading through the team and everybody is pretty much in shock. Remember, Hot Stuff is in the team race trailer to be raced in IF 1 so there is a chance. Thom is the leader and will make the call as far as competing, but I know at least a few team members so far are still going....

Comment

Originally posted by knot4u View Post
                    I wonder if the crew will still show up? No reason to, other than the fans.
                    Bull****. They need to load up their T-shirt printer and sell the F**K out of merchandise! I suspect that everyone that walks the pits would be down for at least two shirts- hell, I don't have one for every day of the week yet! We can do our best to help alleviate the financial part of the decision of whether to rebuild her or not

Thom, glad you're OK, and should you decide to rebuild, you can count on me for some free labor, even if it's just washing parts

Comment

Originally posted by 1:1 Scale View Post
                      Bull****. They need to load up their T-shirt printer and sell the F**K out of merchandise! I suspect that everyone that walks the pits would be down for at least two shirts- hell, I don't have one for every day of the week yet! We can do our best to help alleviate the financial part of the decision of whether to rebuild her or not

Thom, glad you're OK, and should you decide to rebuild, you can count on me for some free labor, even if it's just washing parts
                      My ability to use the english language to convey the emotion I'm trying to express stinks. Your post highlights the reasons why I would hope the entire team shows up, minus the airplane.

Comment

Glad Thom is ok, sure is the pitts, maybe plane isn't as bad as they think, doesn't look to bad in the pics, but I know heat can damage a lot of major components, Keeping my fingers crossed for the best.
                        Brian

Comment

I'm so thankfull Thom is ok!!! If it was in the cards for PM to catch fire, thank the Lord she was on the ground!!
                          Thank you to Thom and the whole crew for all that you have done over the years!

Race 29
                          Full throttle till you see God, then turn left!

Comment

MANY prayers of thanks that Thom is OK. Very sad news for PM, and I certainly hope it is salvageable, but that amount of elapsed time before "fire out" combined with aluminum.... doesn't sound encouraging.

Comment

Originally posted by 1:1 Scale View Post

Two Words... FAN SPONSOR!

We'll spread the word in the pits, bring images that can be blown up to poster size put them in the pit, sell the hell out of shirts and put the donation bucket out... BIG photos are important, both of the airplane in flight at full beauty and as she sits...

If it's $$ that's gonna stop the PM effort, we can all sure as heck put in a few bucks and see what can be done.. PM for sure is now the people's airplane!

Go Team Precious Metal!!!!!!!!
                              Wayne Sagar
                              "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Working...
                              X