Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Reno Stead Report 9/2

Originally posted by Wild Bill Kelso View Post
    I can't go into details but to try out a few new custom parts the engine has to come off to change out some new gizmos with other new gizmos.
    Wouldn't this require that time be flown off?

Kind of like when PM had to fly so many hours when prop tips were altered?

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisMX105 View Post
      Wouldn't this require that time be flown off?

Kind of like when PM had to fly so many hours when prop tips were altered?
      No it's a minor change, but still have to pull the engine to get to it. Don't over think it it's actually quite a simple mod.

Comment

No it's a minor change, but still have to pull the engine to get to it. Don't over think it it's actually quite a simple mod.
        It may be a minor physical change however having an untested chunk of metal spinning at 20k+ RPM could be nasty if it came apart.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisMX105 View Post
          It may be a minor physical change however having an untested chunk of metal spinning at 20k+ RPM could be nasty if it came apart.

He said don't overthink it, can't you read?

Besides, it's just an experiment. Says so on the side of the cockpit in big black letters Go Bear!

Comment

So is there a reason they didn't do it initially? Did they want to see what horsepower they could get without the "simple mod" before going into it?
            Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

I really appreciate your insights Wild Bill--thanks. I especially appreciate a voice of reason. I have been a Rare Bear fan since the first year it showed up at Reno--and at that time I was Conquest 1 fan. Lyle Shelton didn't know me from Adam, but even as a kid he would kindly take the time to talk to me and was very gracious. I was elated when RL bought Rare Bear to keep the legacy going. Is it frustrating to hear that it's down on power and they're looking for it? Sure it is---however---in the back of my mind RL didn't get to where he is by being stupid. We all know how absolutely finicky the Bear always is and it was explained to me from early on with RL that they had a program in mind to try to figure out all a way to make the machine somewhat more predictable. I would expect it's taken them longer than they thought it would--I think they'll get there eventually and when they do---watch out!!!!

No, I'm not the owner--it makes no difference to me what other people say about the Bear and past experiences--I'm sill going to be a Rare Bear fan and no one can change my mind for me. Several times I've sen RL at Reno and yelled out a thank you to him for what he does for air racing--a Tigercat and Rare Bear--how does it get any better than that? People can have sour apples if they want. I'm still going to be a RB fan as long as I live or as long as it flies. Long live the Bear--especially as they figure things out one-by-one and make it as reliable of a racer as they possibly can!!!

Comment

Originally posted by GRNDP51 View Post
                So is there a reason they didn't do it initially? Did they want to see what horsepower they could get without the "simple mod" before going into it?
                You can test things all day on the cell, but it can all change when you get it installed and flying. It can also change from the test flights to what it might do on the course.

Comment

When I stopped by the cave a couple of weeks ago, they mentioned they were trying a couple of new things this year. Perhaps what Wild Bill mentioned is the "couple of new things"
                  If you didn't try something new, you'd be in the Bronze Race...........this ain't no "STOCK" machine you know
                  Brian

Comment

The whole bear thing has turned into a soap opera. What's happening with Strega? New engine? Fix last years engine? There had better be three really fast gold class contenders this year or I'm going to stay home. and watch videos of the other 26 years of racing I got on tape with the sound cranked up.

Comment

At least three Gold Contenders?? I remember a gold race years ago, where Conquest I lapped the entire field............it was still good racing. Some people you just can't please. I think most of us love airplanes and the races are just a BIG plus to that love. By the way, there's also other classes of racers, an airshow, and static displays, plus the friends one gets to see at the races. If you elect to stay at home, you'll be missing a great show.
                      Brian

Comment

Originally posted by cheapskater View Post
                        The whole bear thing has turned into a soap opera. What's happening with Strega? New engine? Fix last years engine? There had better be three really fast gold class contenders this year or I'm going to stay home. and watch videos of the other 26 years of racing I got on tape with the sound cranked up.
                        At least four

Comment

Ok, maybe PM will pick it up a bit. I just watched the Gold race from 1990 with the sound cranked up. Filmed from the fence line. Tsunami leads the race for two laps with Rare Bear on its tail and then wing tip, and Skip was as usual down in the dirt flying very low. Finally Rare Bear catches up and they duel it out for another half a lap before the bear puts two seconds on Tsunami with Strega on Tsunamis tail. Strega plays catch up and pulls even with Tsunami about a lap before the finish but nothing doing, Skip stays in front of Tiger for the finish with Rear Bear winning with a three second lead. I believe all three had race speeds over 470. I want to see the new RARE Bear do that kind of thing.

Comment

Originally posted by cheapskater View Post
                            Ok, maybe PM will pick it up a bit. I just watched the Gold race from 1990 with the sound cranked up. Filmed from the fence line. Tsunami leads the race for two laps with Rare Bear on its tail and then wing tip, and Skip was as usual down in the dirt flying very low. Finally Rare Bear catches up and they duel it out for another half a lap before the bear puts two seconds on Tsunami with Strega on Tsunamis tail. Strega plays catch up and pulls even with Tsunami about a lap before the finish but nothing doing, Skip stays in front of Tiger for the finish with Rear Bear winning with a three second lead. I believe all three had race speeds over 470. I want to see the new RARE Bear do that kind of thing.
                            That was one of the best unlimited championship races ever - Rare Bear set the championship race speed record at around 482mph while Strega and Tsunami finished neck-and-neck at 478mph - which also broke the prior championship race speed record - I think it was 1992?

Comment

At least four
                              LOL, I remember 9/11 week, we were all stuck there, NOBODY could fly ANYWHERE.. It wound up being one of my more memorable RENO's. The camaraderie (tough word to spell!) that was shared by everyone stuck there that week was pretty priceless.

Like a bunch of us have promised each other over the years, even if there's no RENO, we will all gather that weekend in September anyway. I guarantee, there'd be airplanes and good people, even if totally unofficial.

Dog-gonit Skater... you're just a, well... old cheapskater after all!! (TONGUE FIRMLY IN CHEEK!!!)

S'all good!
                              Wayne Sagar
                              "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Working...
                              X