Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Reno Stead Report 8/30

Originally posted by ChrisMX105 View Post
    If Toldjaso sez it is so then it is fact.

Well, I am not always right.
    I thought I was wrong once, but as it turns out, I was mistaken about that.

Comment

Originally posted by toldjaso View Post
      The motocrosser (forget his name- Mark Hanna was it?- in a P-51?)
      That was Bob "Hurricane" Hannah, and yep... he ate the floorboard after losing the horizontal trim tab on Voodoo when it was painted white.

Mark Hanna was the dude who flew 109's...
      Last edited by RichH; 08-31-2015, 03:09 PM.

Comment

Please use the term "Motocross Legend" because that's what he was.

Click image for larger version

Name:	hannah21unadilla.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	102.5 KB
ID:	227997

Comment

Originally posted by SkyvanDelta View Post
          Is that a myth or has that/can that be measured?
          Mostly Magic.

Ponder this: true, a prop is an airfoil, just like the wing. A wing produces lift to counteract the weight of the aircraft, causing it to rise up and fly.
          A propeller acts like a screw, just like a boat prop. Screwing it's way through the fluid (air) on a plane, or water (on a boat). Coarser pitch for more bite, up to a point.

We used to spray WD-40 on Bell 407 rotor blades to get them to smooth out when tracking them (less friction). However, I could not tell you if it made it fly any better or worse in the air.

Most tricks with props are minute, and hard to measure for the average Joe.

Comment

Let me be another to say THANKS, DAWG for your reports

Comment

Flutter is an aerodynamic issue that I've never heard attributed to a propeller. GG and MAII did not have flutter issues. The bearcat was more difficult to control with the 3-blade on the course.

Comment

Originally posted by knot4u View Post
                Flutter is an aerodynamic issue that I've never heard attributed to a propeller. GG and MAII did not have flutter issues. The bearcat was more difficult to control with the 3-blade on the course.

The NTSB seems to think otherwise. Read the reports for GG and MAII. Both attributed to flutter. (Make sure to read the bottom of the second page of each report).

The biggest concern with the three blade was possible control surface excitation caused by harmonic vibrations in the airframe, caused by the prop "beating up" the airframe.

The rudder fluttered and ripped off the Polen Special. The new owner had been warned that there was an RPM range to avoid, due to prop harmonics. He did not avoid it, lost rudder in flight.

A test pilot can "excite" the controls by smacking the control stick with a rubber mallet. Just ask Skip Holm about the time he did that to Tsunami on a test flight, and then landed minus both elevators and some of the horizontal stabilizer.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by toldjaso; 09-01-2015, 07:32 PM.

Comment

The 140+ page NTSB report is well worth the read, and the reason I get pissed every time someone tries to make the crash out to be something other than willful ignorance. (Galloping Ghost that is)

Comment

The 140+ page NTSB report is well worth the read, and the reason I get pissed every time someone tries to make the crash out to be something other than willful ignorance. (Galloping Ghost that is)

We can't change the past, but we need to learn from it and remember not to do the same kind of mistakes over again.

You usually get the same kind of results that the last guy did, if you let that happen.

So, how many flights on the extremely Rare Bear so far this week?

Comment

Why I push people to read the full NTSB report, few ever do.

Comment

Originally posted by GRNDP51 View Post
                        IIRC,, Friday maybe Saturday last year they were sanding the paint off of the prop.. If this is the same prop I guess it proved to them that it worked better without the paint they had on it during qualifying last year? Not sure why it works better though
                        I noticed that too last year. Prop paint adds to the thickness of the airfoil, which is bad for transonics where a shock sits on the, 'upper', surface at the tip. Assumed they figured this out, and wanted to minimize the thickness of the paint. A polished surface provides laminar flow up to the shock, and for a typical airfoil, shock location will be further aft. The airflow across this polished prop is called free transition since the boundary layer is allowed to transition from laminar to turbulent on it's own. The sanded state is called fixed transition. In those rare geometric airfoil cases where the flow between fixed and free transition is the same, the sanded condition is the best, since the shock won't cause a laminar flow separation. For most airfoils, the shock is further back on the polished surface, and the amount of flow separation behind the shock is reduced.

Now this is the cool part! Since the paint on such a short chord significantly changes the airfoil thickness, paint can be used to change the chordwise thickness distribution, meaning.... paint can be used to change the airfoil shape, and increase thrust at higher speed by increasing drag divergence. Hope this isn't too confusing, I'll clarify if there is any interest.
                        Last edited by Curt_B; 09-01-2015, 08:38 PM.

Comment

I seem to remember a documentary a few years back about 3M developing a film called "Riblett Film" that had microscopic peaks and valleys on the surface. When applied to a fuselage or wing, made the surface rough and decreased aerodynamic static drag. Much like the surface of shark skin. It was developed for the airline industry (less drag = less fuel), and the studies showed it did it's job very well. I don't know if it's still in use. I've often wondered how come air racers don't use it. Maybe weight?

New yachts, necessary products and accessories for going to sea, courses and yacht charter - it's all Nautical marketplace topRik.com

Race 29
                          Full throttle till you see God, then turn left!

Comment

Why I push people to read the full NTSB report, few ever do.
                            Hopefully this doesn't veer too far off topic.......
                            I'm the same way with the Challenger and Columbia Accident Reports. When I hear people say the Orbiters "exploded", I tell them they should read the reports so they can understand why the Orbiters broke apart. They're only about 400 pages each.
                            Tommy

Comment

Originally posted by toldjaso View Post
                              So, how many flights on the extremely Rare Bear so far this week?
                              2 x Monday
                              1 x Tuesday

Comment

Anyone know what the results of these 3 flights were? Is the Team happy so far? Are they chasing problem(s)? Has the lost HP been found?

Comment

Working...
                                X