Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Camping reno 2015

Whats up everyone,

just thought id get some insight into camping or if just getting a hotel for the weekend
    would be a better option, or to camp at the field somewhere if they offer that, for sat, and sun, and
    if that is not viable, then it would be a hotel
    thanks

Re: Camping reno 2015

Try this link
    "Lighten Up Francis....."

Comment

I’ve camped at stead for 27 of the 30 years I’ve been going to the Air Races. I’ve camped in the field across from St. Michaels, I’ve camped at St. Michaels, for the last 15 years or so, I’ve camped at the RARA West campground. I like being at the field. Easy access, no traffic, go in early, and come out late.

This late in the game it may be hard to get a site (I pay for mine in February). The field across from St. Michaels, used to be first come first served. But, I’m not sure you can still camp here. You could call St. Michaels to see if they have any sites left (good for small tent campers as they have food and showers on site). Try RARA and see if they have any sites left. The Optimists run a good site, but I don’t know how to contact them.

Comment

Originally posted by FlyingSubaru84 View Post
        Whats up everyone,

just thought id get some insight into camping or if just getting a hotel for the weekend
        would be a better option, or to camp at the field somewhere if they offer that, for sat, and sun, and
        if that is not viable, then it would be a hotel
        thanks
        My first choice would be St Michael's Church. They will most be booked by the time you get there on Friday night. However there are plenty of other sites near it and you can use the church to take a shower.

I stay out there in my fifth wheel and won't have it any other way. There is something always going on at Stead and the best part you never have to drive to town in the traffic.

Comment

I camped at the Optimist's lot (and a few others) from '76 to '03, mainly because it was relatively cheap. Got thoroughly hooked on it. The friends you meet, the common interest, great discussions and as stated above, go in early and stay late (you never miss the dawn patrol and a fair amount goes on in the evenings).
          My adult son looks back on those times fondly, and even though we live a couple of miles away now (VERY convenient) he has suggested for several years now that we haul the fifth wheel out there and stay "just for the heck of it".
          If you can get a site, it may be a little less comfortable than a hotel but the perks and submersion in the races are worth it.
          Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
          airplanenutleo@gmail.com
          thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

I've been camping (RV) for 30+ years at the Optimist's lot. Hoteling it for 5 years before that. Camping at Stead is the only way. If I were tenting I would go for St Michaels or across the street. RVing, Optimist's Lot - fair price and monies go to a good cause.

JC

Comment

RVing, Optimist's Lot - fair price and monies go to a good cause.
              And nice, large, assigned spaces if you reserve early. Stayed in the same spot for years.
              Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
              airplanenutleo@gmail.com
              thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Working...
              X