Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Operation Saving Reno

Originally posted by Air Judge View Post
    That's correct. Neal. Area is used to park Guardian One, C-130, Breitling Helo, and other transient and support A/C during Race Week. Might be another Helo there this year as well. Not sure if it's been publicized here or anywhere else for that matter so can't reveal any info but it's a positive sign.
    If you are referring to a network helo, it's being openly talked about but no one seems to know for sure if its happening.

Comment

How to get viral publicity for your warbird event ... Put the nose art in the backseat and let it take its own picture...

Comment

I have been to The Races every year since 1989. Like most events the event is facing some static challenges:

1) during the past 6 +years the economy remains anemic, 92 million out of the work force, 50 million more on government assistance and the a reduction in median household income by $5,000. the lake of disposable income will limit attendence.

2) Shifting demographics, most of us here grew up in a different era, flight was awesome, airplanes, air travel was special, we remember, the greats Hoover, Gabreski, Anderson, Yeager, Olds, Cunningham etc. we would look up to the sky everytime you heard and airplane ( I still do). Most kids today are focused on video games and social media and getting on an airplane means, crowds, uncomfortable seats and a few hours of video games. I would spend hours looking out the window.

3) Participants, see point one, cost is in issue no matter how much money you have, fuel, insurance, maintenance, etc. God Bless the guys that continue to show up each year with these magnificent aircraft.

I wish I had the answers to make it like it once was, I can offer suggestions based no my experience and expertise.

1) The races need to be promoted throughout the year, updates from the teams, inside stories, historical s and celebrity endorsements, (Harrison Ford, Travolta, Eastwood, and new younger film and music talent). This can be accomplished through apps, online, social media ,movie theater intros, and video gaming.

2) multiple non competing sponsorships (aviation related are a gimme), Red Bull., Budwesier, Southwest, Microsoft, Apple, etc, 50% targeted to the 12 to 24 market.

3) Better promotional relationships with city of Reno, Nevada and California. A series of events leading up to the air races starting with PRS, Fly buys, news anchor flights, charity partnerships that bring brand awareness to the event and co promotions with national and local media.

4) TV and Radio media buys throughout the US, simple as a beefed up Merlin screaming across stereo speakers and a brief mentions "worlds FASTEST motorsport, Unlimited air racing Sept in Reno, Be there", same with a same for TV with some spectacular footage

5) partner with new autos, display cars on site and integrate air race app in new car head space

6) Military is always a draw, difficult to build with the morons in DC right now, car drop was a always a favorite.

7) Local Hotels and business should be promoting the hell out of the event , i.e. bring you race ticket stub and recieve 2 for 1 or a free night etc.

8) live coverage on YOUtube and cable TV is a must and interactive choices between cameras would help.

I could go on, but you get the drift. Fly Fast, Fly Low, Turn Left" --FLY SAFE

Comment

Originally posted by Air Judge View Post
          That's correct. Neal. Area is used to park Guardian One, C-130, Breitling Helo, and other transient and support A/C during Race Week. Might be another Helo there this year as well. Not sure if it's been publicized here or anywhere else for that matter so can't reveal any info but it's a positive sign.
          Nope AJ, not reported anywhere that I know of but you know we stand ready to help any effort to go mainstream!
          Wayne Sagar
          "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

OMG a billboard in Sacramento!
            Attached Files

Comment

Good fine.

That should draw some visitors.

Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Is it possible to direct this thread, and someone to speak at a Reno City Council meeting. A spokes person to create a partnership with the city and the most informed air race personnel.

Reader boards with aircraft speed and the aircraft's placement in the race.

Big Jim as a more than qualified aircraft announcer!

An entry and competition between engineering schools for a new race category.

More aircraft even if on static display.

There have been some awesome ideas and concepts!

Warbirds45

Comment

Originally posted by Warbirds45 View Post
                  Is it possible to direct this thread, and someone to speak at a Reno City Council meeting. A spokes person to create a partnership with the city and the most informed air race personnel.

Warbirds45
                  I've directed the thread in the email that will supposedly make its way to someone in charge of RARA, if that happens, we can only hope they actually read the great ideas here. I mean cmon RARA, you guys have an account on here, USE IT!

And Airpirate, you have some of my favorite ideas so far, I included some of them into the email, especially the "year round" promotion through social media.
                  Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

You know, there is actually a (not so) funny story about that from last year. Nick Veronico made it a couple steps further than me before he beat a hasty retreat as well.

Comment

Warbirds45
                      I love this post.

There have been a ton of great ideas in this thread to make it more casual fan friendly/interesting. Us hardcore fans really have only begged for one thing over the years, new announcers. I'm sure most of us don't know half of details involved but, how has this not happened? Seriously. Why are they still there? The fact that they are says to me that nobody is listening to/reading these threads. I sure hope someone in the new administration does. It may be a small potato item in the eyes of most but it seems the ones who really care have been ignored for years. Where is the dead horse emoticon?

One thing I've always wanted to see is a lap from every performer/demo. There have been a few over the years. Fifi really stands out in my mind. How awesome was that? Teams/huge aircraft (An-225 ) should do a lap in formation (teams only) on the Unlimited course. Maybe the aerobatic guys could lap the F1 course. Military fighter demos on the T6 course. Cubs have to lap Home Pylon. Maybe a small trophy and huge bragging rights to the pilot/team with the fastest lap for their "division". A fan can dream, can't he?

For something completely different, I saw this on a taxi the other day...
                      Attached Files
                      You'll get your chance, smart guy!

Comment

Exactly Fence Sence, just more things to make Reno feel like the only thing of its kind. Nowhere else can a F-22 do a lap around pylons other than Reno so why not make it happen!!!!
                        Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

If I remember right, didn't the Blues or the Thunderbirds do a lap in the recent past? It was pretty cool.

Craig

Comment

I think it might have been the Snowbirds
                            Random Air Blog

Comment

The F16 did it one year.
                              Lockheed Bob

Comment

A pair of F-18's did a lap or two one evening after the races. IIRC they were hand timed in the 600's? Don't remember which year though.
                                Sky Critter

Comment

Working...
                                X