Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Racing a museum plane?

Default Re: Racing a museum plane?

Quote Originally Posted by taglialavore View Post
    Forming a new "Limited Class", as Desertdawg says, with warbirds filling the pits, would also bring more espectators and you donīt have to use all the money from the other classes. May be you have to make some investment at the beginning until the event is well known and it would be a good push to the main sport. Just MHO.
    Heck, I think just having a lot more of these old Warbirds on display, (even if they don't race), would (or could) be be a huge crowd draw. Oshkosh has milked this idea for what it's worth for several years now.

What went wrong when the Collings Foundation showed up at Reno a while back? Another some one dropped the ball type of deal? I forget. Somehow they could not sell rides? Anyone know or remember what I am talking about?

I am sorry, but I think most people soon get tired of some little Extra 300 or whatever doing aerobatics. The first time or two, yeah, WOW, absolutely amazing. After that, "someone please shoot that annoying thing down!" can be heard.
    But now something like Bob Hoover in 'Ol Yeller, I would NEVER get tired of that...

Quote Originally Posted by toldjaso View Post
    Heck, I think just having a lot more of these old Warbirds on display, (even if they don't race), would (or could) be be a huge crowd draw. Oshkosh has milked this idea for what it's worth for several years now.

What went wrong when the Collings Foundation showed up at Reno a while back? Another some one dropped the ball type of deal? I forget. Somehow they could not sell rides? Anyone know or remember what I am talking about?

I am sorry, but I think most people soon get tired of some little Extra 300 or whatever doing aerobatics. The first time or two, yeah, WOW, absolutely amazing. After that, "someone please shoot that annoying thing down!" can be heard.
    But now something like Bob Hoover in 'Ol Yeller, I would NEVER get tired of that...
    Some asshat from the city kept changing the insurance requirements that Collings needed to have. To the point Collings couldn't call their broker fast enough That was no part of NCAR anyway; it was another weekend.

I think the big issue here with the whole event is you have three or four groups of people that all want the sandbox run their own way. Every time there is a disagreement one of them threatens to take the shiny red ball and leave. That is an unsustainable attitude to have. Sponsors don't like it, TV doesn't like it... Nobody likes it! It is viewed as bush league by the folks that might want to come in and throw money at you. Market yourself as a failing broke event for over two decades and nobody is going to support you.

ABSOLUTELY can some of the other 'acts'. There's 50 shows across the states where someone can watch one of these perform. Can them - give more time for racing.. and for crying out loud, support the big Iron.

- Joseph

Quote Originally Posted by Idaho_cowpony View Post
    ABSOLUTELY can some of the other 'acts'. There's 50 shows across the states where someone can watch one of these perform. Can them - give more time for racing.. and for crying out loud, support the big Iron.

- Joseph
    From a logistics standpoint, that is not realistic. If Owen Ashurst reads this he'll tell you the same thing. If you did that, you would have long amounts of 'dead time' between launching and recovering the various racing. Dead time kills crowds and makes them not come back. The problem here is that you're talking about catering a show to the 5,000 or so of us fans that would show up and be okay with that dead time.

It's the OTHER 80% of the fans that are casual fans, that enjoy the novelty of the airshow acts, who the show is catered to....because they are the majority of the people paying cash at the gate.

Have you noticed when the Thunderbirds or Blue Angels are there, after their show the stands nearly empty? That is what puts butts in the seats so we can see racing. $$$

OT-2 Re: Racing a museum plane?

Quote Originally Posted by Plane Nuts View Post
    Have you noticed when the Thunderbirds or Blue Angels are there, after their show the stands nearly empty? That is what puts butts in the seats so we can see racing. $$$
    Drraaagging this thread yet further .... it's kind of a head scratcher how a small show can get the TBirds but a premier event like RENO goes hungry for one of the BIG jet acts once again.

Still FURTHER , got "assignment" to cover race week for Atlantic Flyer (http://www.atlanticflyer.net) but have yet to hear back on my press credential request... HOPING that I'll be there this year to help promote the sport to the East coast potential fans!

Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

The major Military Teams do NOT come FREE!!!
    Your taxes do not pay for them to appear.
    The venue hosting them has to pay the freight.
    A venue applies many years out, and is lucky (?) to get on the list. It does give them timje to raise that $$$$, and if
    not, has to cut corners somewhere else.
    Each gets a room, a car, and not is not just the team of 6 planes. Their crew, their mechanics, their fuel, etc., etc., etc.. Plus the paper work connected to their practice and performance. Been behind the scene and know where-of I speak, so please lighten up on the RARA bashing, and do something positive, like writing RARA concrete ideas and source of sponsorship ideas, maybe even donate directly to RARA, especially since they are now a 501(c)3 NOT FOR PROFIT organization

PS: Did you notice they did not raise the price of the tickets (again) this year?

I think the ticket prices are two low considering I pay $100 per person for a one day motocross race.

Quote Originally Posted by ShermB View Post
    The major Military Teams do NOT come FREE!!!
    Your taxes do not pay for them to appear.
    The venue hosting them has to pay the freight.
    A venue applies many years out, and is lucky (?) to get on the list. It does give them timje to raise that $$$$, and if
    not, has to cut corners somewhere else.
    Each gets a room, a car, and not is not just the team of 6 planes. Their crew, their mechanics, their fuel, etc., etc., etc.. Plus the paper work connected to their practice and performance. Been behind the scene and know where-of I speak, so please lighten up on the RARA bashing, and do something positive, like writing RARA concrete ideas and source of sponsorship ideas, maybe even donate directly to RARA, especially since they are now a 501(c)3 NOT FOR PROFIT organization

PS: Did you notice they did not raise the price of the tickets (again) this year?
    Agreed, the RARA bashing is a little harsh considering that the races really shouldn't have gone past 2011... I agree with writing to RARA ideas!
    *My Air Race Site*

Reno from '99 to '17

Quote Originally Posted by AAFO_WSagar View Post
    Drraaagging this thread yet further .... it's kind of a head scratcher how a small show can get the TBirds but a premier event like RENO goes hungry for one of the BIG jet acts once again.

Still FURTHER , got "assignment" to cover race week for Atlantic Flyer (http://www.atlanticflyer.net) but have yet to hear back on my press credential request... HOPING that I'll be there this year to help promote the sport to the East coast potential fans!

That "small show" got the Thunderbirds by being proactive at the right time. The T-Birds were forced to cancel another scheduled show and the Minden guys jumped on the opportunity as it happened. They probably had it locked down before most people even knew of the cancellation.