Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Racing a museum plane?

Default Re: Racing a museum plane?

Quote Originally Posted by rforslund View Post
    Where was this information posted, RARA has not posted the unlimited list yet and Smoot as at PRS-
    Had a little conversation over the phone with Smoot himself, he's the president (?) of the unlimited class and is trying to get things figured out so these disputes with RARA quit happening. I didn't want to bring the bad news but someone was going to have to say it
    Sherman will be there in his T-28 (not racing) but at least he will be present.
    *My Air Race Site*

Reno from '99 to '17

Quote Originally Posted by Wild Bill Kelso View Post
    Look more at the people in the class. I think certain people within the Unlimited class drive away competitors.
    The only person who would benefit from C.M.'s absence is T.R.

Hopefully he is allowed to actually place this year.

GREAT JOB RARA!

Quote Originally Posted by flyingjibus View Post
    The only person who would benefit from C.M.'s absence is T.R.

Hopefully he is allowed to actually place this year.

GREAT JOB RARA!

There are some Sea Furys that would also benefit...

I really think there needs to be a big incentive from RARA to include the Warbird community more..

There should be the Unlimited Class
    and the Limited class.

Owners/pilots would enter an aircraft in one or the other.. If your aircraft wasn't capable of a 380mph+ lap, it should be entered in the 'Limited' class. (There would be a small governing bias, to ensure this).

RARA would stat by offering deluxe accommodations for Owner/Pilot and crew of 5 per aircraft. Pay for all the fluids. And offer prize incentive as well.

Imagine the Pits squeezing tighter and tighter, as Restored Mustangs, Bearcats', P-40's and more once again filled the tarmac.

This way... When Strega fails to qualify, none of the slower guys need to complain.. Because Strega won't be bumped down to one of their ONLY RACES, but rather stay within the 'Unlimited', allowing the 'limited' guys to have a lot more fun, without needing to get lapped twice!

C'mon RARA, I hope you're listening.

- Joseph

Agreed Idaho, sadly RARA made an account on here and apparently never uses it anymore. If only they incorporated the ideas of us die hard fans that don't want to see the sport go away, rather than the "guys up top" that think losing unlimiteds will keep the crowd coming
    *My Air Race Site*

Reno from '99 to '17

Quote Originally Posted by GRNDP51 View Post
    Agreed Idaho, sadly RARA made an account on here and apparently never uses it anymore. If only they incorporated the ideas of us die hard fans that don't want to see the sport go away, rather than the "guys up top" that think losing unlimiteds will keep the crowd coming
    These are good suggestions like Joseph stated:

Imagine the Pits squeezing tighter and tighter, as Restored Mustangs, Bearcats', P-40's and more once again filled the tarmac.

This way... When Strega fails to qualify, none of the slower guys need to complain.. Because Strega won't be bumped down to one of their ONLY RACES, but rather stay within the 'Unlimited', allowing the 'limited' guys to have a lot more fun, without needing to get lapped twice!

They haven't even updated there Website, maybe one person is stretched too thin, spending all free time jabbering on FB?

A full pit would be nice. Years back we could spend hours walking every row, now there not much there, you can cut through all the empty spaces and say, gosh I'm done with one pass, is that all thats here ????

This year I'm thinking I may actually go East and check out couple of the salt flats events (all depends on salt conditions)

http://www.landspeedevents.com/

Last edited by Desertdawg; 08-18-2015 at 03:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GRNDP51 View Post
    Had a little conversation over the phone with Smoot himself, he's the president (?) of the unlimited class and is trying to get things figured out so these disputes with RARA quit happening. I didn't want to bring the bad news but someone was going to have to say it
    Sherman will be there in his T-28 (not racing) but at least he will be present.
    Thanks for the info! Do you know if these same issues are the ones keeping some of the other unlimiteds like Rod's tigercats away this year?

Quote Originally Posted by Idaho_cowpony View Post
    I really think there needs to be a big incentive from RARA to include the Warbird community more..

There should be the Unlimited Class
    and the Limited class.

Owners/pilots would enter an aircraft in one or the other.. If your aircraft wasn't capable of a 380mph+ lap, it should be entered in the 'Limited' class. (There would be a small governing bias, to ensure this).

RARA would stat by offering deluxe accommodations for Owner/Pilot and crew of 5 per aircraft. Pay for all the fluids. And offer prize incentive as well.

- Joseph
    How do you propose to pay for that?

Are you going to take prize money away from other classes (or just flat out eliminate other classes) to pay for it?

Are you going to eliminate aerobatic acts (and keep in mind that they run the acts between the races to allow for launch/recovery) to pay for it?

Are you going to raise ticket prices to pay for that?

Everyone already is critical that RARA isn't spending money on advertising. Now you want to spend more money that they don't have?

Quote Originally Posted by Big_Jim View Post
    How do you propose to pay for that?

Are you going to take prize money away from other classes (or just flat out eliminate other classes) to pay for it?

Are you going to eliminate aerobatic acts (and keep in mind that they run the acts between the races to allow for launch/recovery) to pay for it?

Are you going to raise ticket prices to pay for that?

Everyone already is critical that RARA isn't spending money on advertising. Now you want to spend more money that they don't have?
    It's a pointless pursuit, otherwise known as a hobby. A big dick-swinging contest in the desert, but hobbies cost money. If the races end I'm pretty sure the ones balls deep into their airplanes will figure out how to meet with their contemporaries somewhere to shake the dust off of a couple of sticks set out in the middle of nowhere. I don't think they care if anybody is watching. Racers are a rare breed, they don't give a F@$#.

Forming a new "Limited Class", as Desertdawg says, with warbirds filling the pits, would also bring more espectators and you donīt have to use all the money from the other classes. May be you have to make some investment at the beginning until the event is well known and it would be a good push to the main sport. Just MHO.