Racing a museum plane?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Racing a museum plane?

Just out of curiousity, would it ever be possible that a museum (such as Palm Springs air museum, etc.) could ever race a plane? I feel like this is somewhat of a self-explanatory question as anything is possible, but thinking in the future where there aren't that many Bearcats, Tigercats, that are privately-owned, if Palm Springs ever got their Bearcat flying could it race? This is obviously just thinking out of nowhere but I thought it would be cool for a museum sponsored plane to race. I know Warhawk air museum is an air museum that has brought race planes, but the museum itself is owned by the CP family so that makes some sense. I don't know, just a thought I had in my mind during this slow silly season
    Reno from '99 to '22

Re: Racing a museum plane?

There is no prohibition against a museum owned plane racing and in fact a number of museums have raced at Reno over the last 50-years. POF, MOF, CAF, etc. I think the reason we don't see these types of planes now is all about the problems with the purse size, or lack thereof + RARA politics?

Comment

Originally posted by GRNDP51 View Post
      Just out of curiousity, would it ever be possible that a museum (such as Palm Springs air museum, etc.) could ever race a plane? I feel like this is somewhat of a self-explanatory question as anything is possible, but thinking in the future where there aren't that many Bearcats, Tigercats, that are privately-owned, if Palm Springs ever got their Bearcat flying could it race? This is obviously just thinking out of nowhere but I thought it would be cool for a museum sponsored plane to race. I know Warhawk air museum is an air museum that has brought race planes, but the museum itself is owned by the CP family so that makes some sense. I don't know, just a thought I had in my mind during this slow silly season
      I've tried to convince Chris Fahey to get Steve Hinton to bring Wee Willy II, 23 Skidoo, the P-40N, and the Corsair to just run around at the back of the Bronze to collect gas money.

Comment

Good question. Kinda recons back to the days of the Chino Super Corsair. Did The Planes Of Fame own the Corsair?

Comment

I like the idea Big Jim wouldn't that be sweet! Same with CAF, put the bearcat and spitfire out there. And onto badman that somewhat brings me to the question of why wouldn't anybody with a warbird have some interest in racing? Not everybody has to own a full race P-51 but can't there be a couple of owners of the 150+ mustangs that exist have some interest in doing something a little more entertaining than making passes at an airshow? I don't know what prize money is for a plane such as Air Biscuit, but if the owner comes out positive, or even a little negative but with a fun week of racing under his belt, wouldn't it be worth it? Planes such as Lady Alice that I see every airshow in southern California should be making up the stockers, but hey, I'm a spectator without a multi million dollar warbird. I just think there should be some more interest in owners? I guess we have been asking ourselves this question for the past couple years now
          * and now that I think about it, the need for a crew is probably one of the reasons that there aren't more stockers, but how difficult can it be to find a couple of guys to help you keep your plane in check for the week?
          Last edited by GRNDP51; 08-17-2015, 01:40 PM. Reason: More info
          Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Originally posted by badman View Post
            There is no prohibition against a museum owned plane racing and in fact a number of museums have raced at Reno over the last 50-years. POF, MOF, CAF, etc. I think the reason we don't see these types of planes now is all about the problems with the purse size, or lack thereof + RARA politics?

In about 2012, I believe it was, some of the "Big Dogs" of the Unlimited class had a meeting, where they wanted to limit the number of entries so that they could each get a bigger piece of the pie. Just about drove Helton over the edge.

I saw Brent Hisey so mad he wanted to do brain surgery on a certain pilot without anesthesia (my words, not his), and I don't think Miss A has been back since?

They also told JCP to stay home with his P-40's and whatever else he had.
            It was pretty much the death blow to racing, as most people I know would rather see 28 or so planes race than the same damn 2 or 3 each time.

That is one reason why there is a low attendance for the Unlimiteds now. I loved seeing the Corsairs and the FW 190 and all the different variety of warbirds. Air Biscuit is still my favorite!
            Last edited by toldjaso; 08-17-2015, 03:29 PM. Reason: sp.

Comment

Thought I would post it here instead of another thread, but RARA has made yet again another conflict and Czech Mate will not be there this year. Man this gets worse and worse
              Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Thought I would post it here instead of another thread, but RARA has made yet again another conflict and Czech Mate will not be there this year. Man this gets worse and worse
                Look more at the people in the class. I think certain people within the Unlimited class drive away competitors.

Comment

Where was this information posted, RARA has not posted the unlimited list yet and Smoot as at PRS-

Comment

Originally posted by Big_Jim View Post
                    I've tried to convince Chris Fahey to get Steve Hinton to bring Wee Willy II, 23 Skidoo, the P-40N, and the Corsair to just run around at the back of the Bronze to collect gas money.
                    Great idea Big Jim! Any warbird rounding the pylons is a bonus as far as I'm concerned?

Comment

Originally posted by rforslund View Post
                      Where was this information posted, RARA has not posted the unlimited list yet and Smoot as at PRS-
                      Had a little conversation over the phone with Smoot himself, he's the president (?) of the unlimited class and is trying to get things figured out so these disputes with RARA quit happening. I didn't want to bring the bad news but someone was going to have to say it
                      Sherman will be there in his T-28 (not racing) but at least he will be present.
                      Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Originally posted by Wild Bill Kelso View Post
                        Look more at the people in the class. I think certain people within the Unlimited class drive away competitors.
                        The only person who would benefit from C.M.'s absence is T.R.

Hopefully he is allowed to actually place this year.

GREAT JOB RARA!

Comment

Originally posted by flyingjibus View Post
                          The only person who would benefit from C.M.'s absence is T.R.

Hopefully he is allowed to actually place this year.

GREAT JOB RARA!

There are some Sea Furys that would also benefit...
                          "Lighten Up Francis....."

Comment

I really think there needs to be a big incentive from RARA to include the Warbird community more..

There should be the Unlimited Class
                            and the Limited class.

Owners/pilots would enter an aircraft in one or the other.. If your aircraft wasn't capable of a 380mph+ lap, it should be entered in the 'Limited' class. (There would be a small governing bias, to ensure this).

RARA would stat by offering deluxe accommodations for Owner/Pilot and crew of 5 per aircraft. Pay for all the fluids. And offer prize incentive as well.

Imagine the Pits squeezing tighter and tighter, as Restored Mustangs, Bearcats', P-40's and more once again filled the tarmac.

This way... When Strega fails to qualify, none of the slower guys need to complain.. Because Strega won't be bumped down to one of their ONLY RACES, but rather stay within the 'Unlimited', allowing the 'limited' guys to have a lot more fun, without needing to get lapped twice!

C'mon RARA, I hope you're listening.

- Joseph

Comment

Agreed Idaho, sadly RARA made an account on here and apparently never uses it anymore. If only they incorporated the ideas of us die hard fans that don't want to see the sport go away, rather than the "guys up top" that think losing unlimiteds will keep the crowd coming
                              Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Working...
                              X