Way off-topic; R/C plane questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Way off-topic; R/C plane questions

I know we are getting close to Air Race time and I don't mean to take up an entire thread with questions about R/C planes. I know there are a few members here that fly and I figured I could ask some questions. With that being said, I used to fly when Iw as in high school and got out of the hobby once I started college and discovered just how good beer is.

A few weeks ago, while garage-sale-ing with the wife, I came across a deal I couldn't pass up ($10) on an almost complete bi-plane. Plane is finished with engine, servos, and receiver. The only thing I need is a transmitter and battery.

The receiver is an older FM one. I was planning on upgrading to a 2.4 transmitter and receiver. What size battery pack do i need for the receiver? It has 5 servos total (elevator, rudder, throttle, and one each for ailerons).

Any recommendations for a inexpensive transmitter/receiver?

Thanks!
    "CHARLIE DON'T SURF!!!"

Re: Way off-topic; R/C plane questions

Use a 5 cell pack with around 2000 MAH. And while I am on here what a WONDERFUL bunch of guys/ and gals. We got Michael keeping us posted on Voodoo , who we got giving us pr on PM & Strega

Don

Comment

Originally posted by fastpace View Post
      Use a 5 cell pack with around 2000 MAH. And while I am on here what a WONDERFUL bunch of guys/ and gals. We got Michael keeping us posted on Voodoo , who we got giving us pr on PM & Strega

Don
      PM? So did you miss this, or are you ignoring it......?: http://www.aafo.com/hangartalk/showt...his-right-here

Comment

You nailed me I missed it.

Comment

[B] [B]there is a lot of good systems out there just do some searching and see what is in your price range, there is some RC web sights with forums in them like we have here/ RC Universe is one and RC Groups is another one. Best of luck to you.

Don

Comment

The 2.4 system that I use from hi tech has two batteries. One for the RX and one for the servos. Both packs are 5-cell at 2000mah.

Comment

Hi Tech has always been a great value for the money. I got hooked on JR stuff back in the day (20 years ago when they did have the best servos & transmitter $ could buy). Now it's a different game, so I'm planning on a Futaba for my current project (27.4% scale Edge 540 - 80" wingspan). A bit more expensive then hi-tech, but as far as I can see have a better overall system in their mid to high range options. It all depends on what you want, there is a system out there for everyone's budget and Hi-Tech is an awesome package for the price. As far as a battery, hell we used to get away with a single 400mah for both the receiver & servos - but with servos being tons more powerful then back in the day... and radios that can switch channels on the fly... I have to agree that a two battery system, and both at 2000mah isn't a bad idea at all. Just remember to get an aftermarket charger so you can really tell the condition of you battery packs. The junk they sell with the batteries doesn't tell you anything other then it's charged up (green idiot light).

BTW: I'm a scratch builder (but I do get the bulkheads & such laser cut at Precision Cut Kits).... so I'm definitely not your average R/C'er and simply won't trust a bargain system. I have a lot more to loose (the 100's of hours invested in building the damn thing) then just a plane. Seems like everyone these days is into ARFs or totally assembled ready-to-fly stuff. Not that it's a bad thing - gets more people involved in the sport who would otherwise not be. I just like building... and bringing something unique to the field puts a smile on my face
              Mark K....

Comment

Cheers Mark, I still build too, Love it and yes I had some JR's some kraft's some Cannon's and finialy ended up with futaba and still using some 72 futaba but have a 14SG it is really fastinating what it does and I can't. I also fly with a CHP guy that has one of those fancy drones and fly's the full scale CHP chopper also, and we all hang at the airport where another member put's kit planes together for his day job. The CHP Guy also has a full size stored there. One of the plane owners lives on my street and has two planes across from where I hang and anytime he has an empty seat we go fly. I bring in some Air Classic mag's and especially a Reno edition and gone in a flash.

Don...

Comment

Anything else is a waste of money.

Also, dont waste your time with nimh batteries. Lithium polymer.

Comment

Dang, that's cheap for what you get. My old JR10sx was over $1200 out the door.
                    That is one good thing though, the price of radios has come way down.

edit: too bad it isn't a mode 1 though.... mode 2 is for beginners
                    just kidding now
                    Last edited by Pylon1_Mark; 07-31-2015, 12:15 PM.
                    Mark K....

Comment

Ok, I did some digging around in the wing of my plane and found a 4 cell, 600mah battery pack. Seems pretty small
                      "CHARLIE DON'T SURF!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by Pylon1_Mark View Post
                        Dang, that's cheap for what you get. My old JR10sx was over $1200 out the door.
                        That is one good thing though, the price of radios has come way down.

edit: too bad it isn't a mode 1 though.... mode 2 is for beginners
                        just kidding now
                        The state of RC has changed dramatically in the last 24 months. FPV multirotors are driving the hobby to new levels.

Comment

Working...
                        X