X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: I'm just going to leave this right here

Originally posted by Donald McMullin View Post
    From NTSB Report, 445 knots or 512 mph
    Not a lap speed, just a momentary indication. Pretty fast but for the purposes of this thread the idea is how fast could it go the whole race and have enough cooling fluids. Finals are 8 laps (or used to be) so the time is longer than heats, a lot of variables and nothing proven because it never went the distance, just like it's whole history since 1984.
    Chris...

Comment

Originally posted by Tim Jones View Post
      Agreed!
      Drag and weight reduction will always have more benefit than required horsepower to overcome that drag.
      Horsepower typically requires much more complexity. For example, getting the horsepower from the engine into the air. Gear reduction, prop control, prop blades, etc.
      The slickest airframe in the world is not going to go 500mph unless it has an engine package capable of doing that.

Simple question: how fast would strega go with Miss America's motor program? The answer is not 500mph.

Comment

Originally posted by flyingjibus View Post
        The slickest airframe in the world is not going to go 500mph unless it has an engine package capable of doing that.

Simple question: how fast would strega go with Miss America's motor program? The answer is not 500mph.
        A lot faster than Miss A would go with Strega's engine if they were to swap.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisMX105 View Post
          A lot faster than Miss A would go with Strega's engine if they were to swap.
          Very true!

drag reduction is important! Almost as important as motor package is when you are going for 500mph laps. Which is all this silly argument is about.

Comment

So will Precious Metal have a scope this year or not at Reno ??

Comment

Originally posted by flyingjibus View Post
              Very true!

drag reduction is important! Almost as important as motor package is when you are going for 500mph laps. Which is all this silly argument is about.
              I can remember being in the bearcat trailer in '95 or '96 and the crew chief telling us we were down on power but the work we had put towards efficiency had paid off. Lap times had been graphed historically based on HP, and while we were down on power the speeds exceeded the expected results. The culprit for the power loss was eventually found, after we blew the engine up. Big Time Air Racing.

Comment

Originally posted by supercub View Post
                So will Precious Metal have a scope this year or not at Reno ??
                A scoop, yes.

Comment

I heard a scope, too, so Thom can shoot his way to the front if need be...

Comment

We will have new things. The effort to the front continues... Faster!

Comment

There are three things that make an airplane faster, a better airframe, a better engine and a better pilot. All can be had with money. We're working on all three.

Comment

Originally posted by Thom Richard View Post
                        There are three things that make an airplane faster, a better airframe, a better engine and a better pilot. All can be had with money. We're working on all three.
                        Amen to that.
                        And the third thing Thom listed can easily make the first two become a meaningless waste of time and money, if winning is the ultimate goal.
                        All three have to be present if you want to win the big trophy on Sunday! (In my humble opinion, anyways).

Also, since I like to point out the obvious, I might add that the fourth item on the list is a solid crew that is willing and able to put all of this on their front burner, and make all of this magic happen.
                        Last edited by toldjaso; 08-15-2015, 07:15 AM. Reason: cause I wanted to

Comment

Originally posted by toldjaso View Post
                          Amen to that.
                          And the third thing Thom listed can easily make the first two become a meaningless waste of time and money, if winning is the ultimate goal.
                          All three have to be present if you want to win the big trophy on Sunday! (In my humble opinion, anyways).

Also, since I like to point out the obvious, I might add that the fourth item on the list is a solid crew that is willing and able to put all of this on their front burner, and make all of this magic happen.
                          And then see the enthusiasm wain when the pilot sues the owner and the crew. I see fathead fairly often, and I'll never forgive him for that. I don't care about the civil issue, it's more about the fact that he questioned our integrity.

Comment

Originally posted by knot4u View Post
                            And then see the enthusiasm wain when the pilot sues the owner and the crew. I see fathead fairly often, and I'll never forgive him for that. I don't care about the civil issue, it's more about the fact that he questioned our integrity.
                            This is a question from a person out of the loop, but why would a pilot sue the owner and crew. Is this particular instance public knowledge?

Comment

Working...
                            X