I'm just going to leave this right here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: I'm just going to leave this right here

If not for you guys, and a couple other teams, not necessarily Unlimited, I'd set sail, drop anchor and sit the season out!

I'm guessing I'll land somewhere in the Circus Circus maze..

Great hotel, right downtown, access to everything RENO from the one reservation..

Can not believe we're less than two months away!

Where in hell does the time go???

Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by Wild Bill Kelso View Post
      Right now we would happy getting rid of the oil cooler drag. But I guess we have too many BTU's to get rid of to use a H-model heat exchanger that Voodoo and Strega use.
      If we can keep this all going, you guys will work around whatever stands in your way to go faster... Of that, I'm confident!
      Wayne Sagar
      "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by Race5 View Post
        I believe it was the landing gear positing that allowed it on MA II. There isn't room for that scoop / ducting design on a "stock" Mustang wing / fuselage.
        That was my understanding of the process. From what I gathered, when allowed to listen in with this sort of discussion Indeed, the unique positioning of the landing gear on the Lear wing used for MAII allowed an intake ramp angle that can not be achieved with a stock Mustang landing gear/wing setup..
        Wayne Sagar
        "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

There is REALLY much more significant information housed within the Internet cache available from this discussion.
          Wayne Sagar
          "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by johnnyrace View Post
            Mmmmm...Yummy
            This is one Mustang that actually looks pretty good without the scoop. Go PM!
            Last edited by GeeBeeZ1931; 07-29-2015, 02:15 AM.

Comment

Just my personal opinion - I've never been a big fan of the scoopless Mustangs. The rationale for going scoopless seems to be to make it go faster, but as far as I can tell, no scoopless Mustang has ever come close to hitting the race and qualifying speed records set by Dago and Strega.

Comment

I dont think there has ever been a scoopless mustang with the engine package Strega or Dago have had while that fast.

Comment

I'm sure Matt Jackson could chime in here...

Jarrod

Comment

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar View Post
                    Can not believe we're less than two months away!

Where in hell does the time go???

DO NOT REMIND ME!

Comment

Originally posted by flyingjibus View Post
                      I dont think there has ever been a scoopless mustang with the engine package Strega or Dago have had while that fast.
                      I'm sure that's true, but then we get into the hypothetical as opposed to what has actually been accomplished. If Rare Bear ever finds that missing HP they should be qualifying at 500+mph! But, until it happens Strega holds the record.

Maybe I'm mis-remembering, but I thought MJ wrote somewhere that he thought Strega was faster than #84?

And, in 1984 and 1986 #84 seemed to be pretty well financed and was running (I'm assuming here) one of the top Merlin race engines by a top (at the time) Merlin engine builder and didn't come near the speeds Strega hit in 1987. Maybe if GG had a Dago or Strega motor from the 2000s (and didn't have the other problems) it would've been faster - but again that's hypothetical.

All I'm saying is Anson Johnson, Stiletto, and GG, for whatever reasons you pick, never went faster than Dago or Strega with scoops. Maybe finding lots of reliable HP is more important than any potential drag reduction from removing the scoop on a Mustang? Heck, Dan Martin went faster than the scoopless mustangs in RRIII with a great motor didn't he?

Comment

Originally posted by Thom Richard View Post
                        DO NOT REMIND ME!
                        If you need a reminder of that it's no wonder you can't recall where you left your pocket door................

Comment

Originally posted by badman View Post
                          I'm sure that's true, but then we get into the hypothetical as opposed to what has actually been accomplished. If Rare Bear ever finds that missing HP they should be qualifying at 500+mph! But, until it happens Strega holds the record.

Maybe I'm mis-remembering, but I thought MJ wrote somewhere that he thought Strega was faster than #84?

And, in 1984 and 1986 #84 seemed to be pretty well financed and was running (I'm assuming here) one of the top Merlin race engines by a top (at the time) Merlin engine builder and didn't come near the speeds Strega hit in 1987. Maybe if GG had a Dago or Strega motor from the 2000s (and didn't have the other problems) it would've been faster - but again that's hypothetical.

All I'm saying is Anson Johnson, Stiletto, and GG, for whatever reasons you pick, never went faster than Dago or Strega with scoops. Maybe finding lots of reliable HP is more important than any potential drag reduction from removing the scoop on a Mustang? Heck, Dan Martin went faster than the scoopless mustangs in RRIII with a great motor didn't he?
                          All valid points. I think the lesson here is that 500+ speeds require motor first, airframe 2nd.

Comment

Originally posted by badman View Post

Different course and the way it's measured has changed.

Comment

I think it is worthwhile to point out here that in 1984 and 1986 none of the Mustangs WITH scoops were going as fast as Strega, Dago, Voodoo etc went from 1990 to present. I think it is wildly unfair to criticise Stiletto for not going as fast in 1984 as Dago went 15 years later.

For that matter, Strega certainly did not go as fast in 1984 as it went in 1987. Dwight's engines were the big game changer and a scoopless Mustang with a Mouse would be formidable indeed.

Neal
                              Last edited by wingman; 07-30-2015, 09:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by wingman View Post
                                I think it is worthwhile to point out here that in 1984 and 1986 none of the Mustangs WITH scoops were going as fast as Strega, Dago, Voodoo etc went from 1990 to present. I think it is wildly unfair to criticise Stiletto for not going as fast in 1984 as Dago went 15 years later.

Neal
                                +1

GG appeared to be pretty damn fast with "stock" power. Obviously many other issues within that project that well...anyways.

All things considered, I love the idea of going scoopless. On a Griffon it seems pretty bold but, the team has the drive and passion to move forward with advancing the aircraft and its performance and l love it. Go PM!
                                You'll get your chance, smart guy!

Comment

Working...
                                X