Re: I'm just going to leave this right here

Originally posted by Wild Bill Kelso View Post
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]21516[/ATTACH]
    Nice photo shop job!

Comment

Is there a reward if somebody finds it out on the course somewhere?

Comment

Won't that make for a lot of stops on the way to Reno to top off the boiler?

Comment

Well let's analyze this. Some people have questioned whether or not the mustang has the capacity for the liquids required for a boiler. Throw in a Griffon and that would make it even more difficult. In the past, Wild Bill has had other ideas for cooling.

Jarrod

Comment

Was the boiler in GG NOT working out?
            I never heard much about cooling issues.
            Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
            airplanenutleo@gmail.com
            thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Originally posted by Leo View Post
              Was the boiler in GG NOT working out?
              I never heard much about cooling issues.
              GG Never completed a race at full race power. No way to know if it would have run out of fluid like many suggested.

Comment

Well, let's see.. Pete Law has written that a Merlin/Griffon rejects about 35% of shaft horsepower as heat that has to be extracted from the coolant and oil. Figure something like 300bhp at cruise, and that means 105bhp, or about 4400 BTU/min of heat to remove. Pete goes on to say that ADI/Water boiler takes away 5900BTU/gal so:

4400BTU/min / 5900 BTU/gal = 0.75 gal/min of ADI through the boiler, or 44 gal/hr. A mustang at economy cruise uses about that much fuel, so you could put 90 gallons of fuel in one wing and ADI in the other and have about 1.5 hour endurance with a half hour reserve.

Pretty rough but it jibes with a recollection that Stiletto needed to stop about as often for ADI as gas when being ferried.

Comment

Mmmmm...Yummy

Comment

Would it be possible for Precious Metal to use the same NACA duct that Miss Ashley II used to reduce drag from the scoop? I seem to remember someone saying that the attachment points on the Lear wing of MA II allowed that setup, but wouldn't work with a "standard" Mustang wing. Thoughts? Either way, I hope that whatever mods they're working on can add some more speed to an awesome racer! Go Precious Metal!!

Race 29
                    Full throttle till you see God, then turn left!

Comment

Originally posted by L.E.D. View Post
                      Well, let's see.. Pete Law has written that a Merlin/Griffon rejects about 35% of shaft horsepower as heat that has to be extracted from the coolant and oil. Figure something like 300bhp at cruise, and that means 105bhp, or about 4400 BTU/min of heat to remove. Pete goes on to say that ADI/Water boiler takes away 5900BTU/gal so:

4400BTU/min / 5900 BTU/gal = 0.75 gal/min of ADI through the boiler, or 44 gal/hr. A mustang at economy cruise uses about that much fuel, so you could put 90 gallons of fuel in one wing and ADI in the other and have about 1.5 hour endurance with a half hour reserve.

Pretty rough but it jibes with a recollection that Stiletto needed to stop about as often for ADI as gas when being ferried.
                      Excellent post.

Comment

Originally posted by Race 29 View Post
                        Would it be possible for Precious Metal to use the same NACA duct that Miss Ashley II used to reduce drag from the scoop? I seem to remember someone saying that the attachment points on the Lear wing of MA II allowed that setup, but wouldn't work with a "standard" Mustang wing. Thoughts? Either way, I hope that whatever mods they're working on can add some more speed to an awesome racer! Go Precious Metal!!

Race 29
                        I believe it was the landing gear positing that allowed it on MA II. There isn't room for that scoop / ducting design on a "stock" Mustang wing / fuselage.

Comment

Originally posted by Race 29 View Post

Race 29

I'll play reference librarian on this... there was a discussion here;
                          All Air Racing All the time! Unregistered visitors: this forum is open for your reading enjoyment. We invite you to join so you can enjoy the full features of this system. Including file uploads, event calender, private messages and more. Due to an unmanageable amount of SPAM membership applications, the join process is a few step process. It all makes it secure!

.. on MAII's modified belly scoop. The summary was that that:

a) MAII's implementation wasn't a pure NACA scoop
                          b) NACA scoops aren't ideal for radiators
                          c) Quoth Wild Bill "No NACA Scoop for PM; I hate the abuse of NACA scoops" =)

The trick to reducing the drag of a radiator installation is to slow the inlet air down as much as you can to reduce drag as it goes through the radiator and and speed it back up again as it goes out. This requires a lot of diffusion, which, according to NACA ACR-5I20, the submerged "NACA Duct" isn't very good at. From the tech doc:

"Submerged inlets do not appear to have desirable pressure recovery characteristics for supply to oil coolers, radiators or carburetors of conventional reciprocating engines."

P.S. nothing you can do pushing air through a radiator is going to have less drag than no radiator at all - the surface area of a radiator is on the same order as the wing area, and it's just gonna make drag.
                          Last edited by L.E.D.; 07-26-2015, 12:47 PM.

Comment

Right now we would happy getting rid of the oil cooler drag. But I guess we have too many BTU's to get rid of to use a H-model heat exchanger that Voodoo and Strega use.

Comment

Looks like the engine is going to be a winner

http://www.ace-performance.com/ace-b.../#post_content
                              Random Air Blog

Comment

Working...
                              X