Strega is not home yet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strega is not home yet

Is the team planning to race this year? Talk about under the gun - the plane apparently is not yet flying. Mr Motorman is at the hangar busy building race motors as usual this time of year. Just no airplane or thrash - yet!
    Does anyone know the assembly and test schedule or even whether they will try?

Re: Strega is not home yet

Who is Mr. Motorman? What hangar is he working in? Tiger's hangar?

Where is the airframe? Still at Stead??

Comment

If you mean it's still in Stead which I feel we all would've known by now, then maybe that's a good thing? Just put the race motor in at Stead and have hoot pull her around the pylons!
      Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

It flew home on the stock motor after the races.

Comment

Oopsie! Sorry but I had a brain fart. I meant Voodoo is routinely hangared at the Yolo Co airport. The engine man takes up residence there or nearby for a few months each spring/summer to build new motors. I do not have permission to mention his name.
          It is my understanding only from contributors to this forum that structural work is being performed at a shop at Chino. But the question is still the same: Will Voodoo be assembled and tested in time?

Sorry again for the goose chase.

Comment

Originally posted by Race5 View Post
            It flew home on the stock motor after the races.
            Yes, that is what happened and in Frank Ronco's article that we reprinted from the NAG banquet, Tiger said that Strega would be there and Hoot would be the pilot...

As always, believe what you see on the ramp race week.....

Wayne Sagar
            "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by Sneauxman View Post
              Oopsie! Sorry but I had a brain fart. I meant Voodoo is routinely hangared at the Yolo Co airport. The engine man takes up residence there or nearby for a few months each spring/summer to build new motors. I do not have permission to mention his name.
              It is my understanding only from contributors to this forum that structural work is being performed at a shop at Chino. But the question is still the same: Will Voodoo be assembled and tested in time?

Sorry again for the goose chase.
              Plenty of time yet. Airplane was farther behind at this time last year.

Michael

Comment

Originally posted by Mluvara View Post
                Plenty of time yet. Airplane was farther behind at this time last year.

Michael
                So, is there a projected first flight date for Voodoo yet? Any current photos?

Comment

9/12/2015

Comment

Well as Skip once told me....

"I like being a race pilot, and I like being a test pilot.... but I DO NOT like being a racing test pilot."
                    Mark K....

Comment

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar View Post
                      Yes, that is what happened and in Frank Ronco's article that we reprinted from the NAG banquet, Tiger said that Strega would be there and Hoot would be the pilot...

As always, believe what you see on the ramp race week.....

Shawn
                      Attached Files

Comment

Hoot is one of my favorite people of the races a national treasure for sure.

Couple of Hoot stories:

While working on the Bear Hoot had come up to say Hi, Another mechanic's son saw him "Is that Hoot Gibson? Do you think he would let me take a picture with him?" I had to chuckle , He went over to say hello and had a 20-30 minute chat. Hoot is super down to earth and I have nothing but respect for him.

My wife and infant son came out for an evening, Hoot was walking back from a test hop and asked if he could hold him, I have a really cool pic of an Astronaut holding my boy, The sheer joy in holding a baby is evident in Hoot's face and it is one of my favorite moments in 20+ years.

Looking forward to what I hope is his year.

Comment

A class act for sure. Made our day with pictures and autographs.

Comment

For sure , class act , easy to talk to , great guy.

Comment

He is also a PR person for the Academy of Model Aeronautics

Comment

Working...
                              X