Wingman quiz 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Wingman quiz 2

Very good! OK Speedy -- tell us what you love about this photo. And tell us about race numbers on the Cobra at Miami...

Comment

Originally posted by wingman View Post
      Very good! OK Speedy -- tell us what you love about this photo. And tell us about race numbers on the Cobra at Miami...
      It was a trick question. The P-63 didn't have a race number. Aside from Bob Hoover running in a couple of the drag races at Mojave, the P-63 was the only Unlimited I can recall that ran the race without a registered or displayed race number. But I guess when you're running the event, you can kind of do what you want. Both Bill Whittington and Jimmy Leeward raced the Cobra at the Homestead races.

To answer GRNDP51's question, the Whittington's sold the Bearcat to Doug Arnold in the UK, and then went to Stephen Grey's "Fighter Collection". Bill Anders brought it back to Reno in 1998 as "Wampus Cat", and it currently flies with John Sessions at the Historic Flight Foundation in Washington.

My favorite thing about the photo, however, is the leopard-print prop/spinner covers. Kathy Levitz made those when Gary owned the plane. There were also matching 'sleeves' that covered the wings outboard of the landing gear.

Comment

Originally posted by Big_Jim View Post
        It was a trick question. The P-63 didn't have a race number. Aside from Bob Hoover running in a couple of the drag races at Mojave, the P-63 was the only Unlimited I can recall that ran the race without a registered or displayed race number. But I guess when you're running the event, you can kind of do what you want. Both Bill Whittington and Jimmy Leeward raced the Cobra at the Homestead races.

To answer GRNDP51's question, the Whittington's sold the Bearcat to Doug Arnold in the UK, and then went to Stephen Grey's "Fighter Collection". Bill Anders brought it back to Reno in 1998 as "Wampus Cat", and it currently flies with John Sessions at the Historic Flight Foundation in Washington.

My favorite thing about the photo, however, is the leopard-print prop/spinner covers. Kathy Levitz made those when Gary owned the plane. There were also matching 'sleeves' that covered the wings outboard of the landing gear.
        Thanks for the info!! Happy to hear that it's still flying! Just doesn't look as cool now
        Reno from '99 to '22

Comment

Working...
        X